ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-15-2012   #111
oricale

Default Re: ZR-1 Alaskan Adventure Travel Log

Outstanding Mission Log!......I will see you at carlisle.
[B][I][COLOR=red]1990 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00077 [COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR] (10Y022 PEP CAR)
[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][B][I][COLOR=red]1991 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00517 ("Irene")[COLOR=red]WHITE[/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED-SOLD:cry:[/COLOR] [B][/B]
[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B][B][I][COLOR=red]1992 ZR1[/COLOR][COLOR=black] [U]#00445("The Revenant")[COLOR=red][COLOR="Black"]BLACK [/COLOR][/COLOR]/[COLOR=red]RED(2016 T.O.D!) [/COLOR] [/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=red]2009 [COLOR=red]Z06!![COLOR=black]BLK/BLK rare Linen interior[/COLOR] 707HP!![/COLOR] [/COLOR][/I][/B]
[B][I][COLOR=red]2006[/COLOR] BLK/BLK Z51 (Just SICK FAST!)SOLD)[/I][/B]
[B][I]1996 BLK/BLK LT4 Grnsprt(sold...Twice!)[/I][/B]
[B][I]1991 RED/REDL98(Fell off the shipping truck:([/I][/B]
[B][I]1980 BLK/RED L82(Sold)[/I][/B]
[B][I][B][I]1990[/I][/B] RED/BLK(sold.....In Japan)[/I][/B]
[I][COLOR=black][B][I]2006[/I][/B][/COLOR][/I] [COLOR=red]Mustang GT[/COLOR] ([B][I]mach 1[/I][/B])[B](sold)[/B]
[COLOR=black][B][I]1969[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Mach[/COLOR] [B][I]1(sold in Japan)[/I][/B]
[COLOR=black][B][I]1969[/I][/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=red]Mach[/COLOR] [B][I]1#2(sold)[/I][/B]

[B][I]WAZOO Member...[/I][/B]

[url]www.evolution-motorsport.com[/url]

facebook/evolutionmotorsportengineering

Your Local [url]www.Amsoil.com[/url] dealer/user..

*Victory Loves Preparation*
oricale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #112
GOLDCYLON

Thumbs up Re: ZR-1 Alaskan Adventure Travel Log

Outstanding post up! I plan on doing this someday Jim. Nothing like driving there in style. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #113
vilant

You're travel log is awesome, and I'm jealous. Would love to travel across the country some day. Keep the pics coming, they're great. Enjoy the rest of your trip.
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #114
QB93Z

Wednesday night in Lake Louise, our internet connection was blocking uploads so I got behind.

On Wednesday we drove from Jasper, Alberta to Lake Louise. This route is the Ice Fields Parkway through the Canadian Rocky Mountains. It is advertised as one of the more beautiful drives in North America, and we would agree with that.

As we left Jasper we were greeted by three pretty ladies on horses:

Just a few miles out of town we found this female elk walking down the roadside. She was calling out, and seemed upset about something:

About an hour south of Jasper we stopped and made a very short hike to Athabasca Falls. The head waters of this river is the Columbia Glacier, 50 miles to the south. The river has carved a deep gorge and these falls are about 30 meters tall. There are excellent hiking trails and overlooks. In this shot, Lyndi is standing in the overlook area to the left of the top of the falls:

This shot is looking across the gorge. You can see people on a viewing bridge in the upper part of the photo as a measure of the height:

On the way back to the car, we met a nice couple from Ontario who were having wine and muffins on a picnic table:

Last edited by QB93Z; 08-16-2012 at 10:30 PM.
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #115
QB93Z

As we continued south on the Ice Fields Parkway, the clouds burned off and the weather was perfect. Looking to the west the mountians were getting larger and more rugged:

The Parkway runs down the east side of the two ranges and here is a nice shot looking south of five peaks:

At one of the many, convenient rest areas along the Parkway, we met this Raven who was content to hold a conversation with Lyndi as long as she didn't get too close:

This is on of the first glaciers visible when driving south on the Parkway. The shot is looking west, and a nice hanging, horseshoe glacier is visible:

While I was taking the pictures of the glacier, a hawk circled over the parking area and I got a picture as he was landing in a tree just in front of the Z:

Here is a nice view of the Athabasca River and some more glaciers to the south west:

Last edited by QB93Z; 08-16-2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old 08-16-2012   #116
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

WOW what a picture!!!!!

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012   #117
QB93Z

As we continued south on the Parkway, we came to Triangle Falls on the east side of the road. The falls are over 120 feet high are are easily accessible from a nice parking area on the opposite side of the road. I did a north-bound drive-by before we explored the cliffs:

Lyndi and I took turns climbing up for photos and then we went way up, handed our camera to a couple from Edmunton that we met on their way down and asked them to photograph us from the road. Luckily, they were trustworthy and we got some great pictures and our camera back when we got down off the falls:

We continued south to the main attraction of the Icefields, the Columbia Icefields. Athabasca Glacier has been retreating for decades and is now accessible by a hiking trail over the terminal moraine:

Here is the view from the top of the moraine, looking back to the east across the Parkway to the Icefield Centre:

In the very center of the that photo you can see the ZR-1 parked:

As we hiked up and over the valley floor and the moraine, the power of the glacier to shape the valley was clearly evident in scratches in the bedrock floor. Another 1/8 mile hike brought us to the toe of the glacier:

It is very hard to get a good picture of a glacier up close. The surface is very "dirty" with rock chips and dust, so it blends in with the terrain. We were not allowed to cross the melt streams along the front of the ice without a guided tour group. Standing there, looking up at the mass of ice that has shaped that valley for hundreds of thousands of years was awe inspiring.
Old 08-16-2012   #118
QB93Z

About another hour south of the Icefield Centre, the Parkway rises to a high crest and then descends down a switchback to a bridge across a river. The parkway can be seen way in the distance in this beautiful view:

Here is another nice view of the river and the mountains. The interesting green-blue color of the river is very beautiful and is characteristic of a stream that is glacier-fed. The color comes from the minerals disloved in the water and the very, very fine silt suspended in the water:

When a glacial stream forms a lake, the color is even more damatic. Here is a shot of Bow Lake:

In the south, where the Icefields Parkway joins the Trans-Canadian Highway, we turned west into Yoho National Park and drove toward Field to see the Canadian Pacific Railroad's Spiral Tunnels. Completed in 1909, the tunnels solved a problem the railroad had getting trains over the very steep grades at Kicking Horse Pass. By tunneling two mile-long spirals into the mountain, the over-all grade of the route was reduced enough to make rail connections to the west coast economical.

Here you can see the two portals (openings) of one of the tunnels. A long freight train will exit the upper portal before the last car goes into the lower portal:
Old 08-16-2012   #119
QB93Z

We returned to the Icefields Parkway and arrived at the town of Lake Louise:

Here is the very beautiful and very famous view of Lake Louise, the surrounding mountains and the glacier at the far end. We found the view wonderful, but the crowds of people at the attraction spoiled the thrill. On a busy day, 10,000 visit the lake:

We decided to drive further up the mountain to see Moraine Lake. We were rewarded with a beautiful drive up a steeper, windier road, surrounded with beautiful mountain views:

Moraine Lake is a wonderful place:

The lake is very calm and the resort cabins facing the lake are very beautiful:

Since I haven't shown a wildlife photo for a while, here is one:

The travel planners for this part of the world make a big deal about how bad the bugs are. We did get a few mosquito bites, but we never had a problem. The Cutter Insect Repellent Spray we used ocassionally worked fine. We learned to not leave the car doors open at night, or the bugs would come in for a take-out meal.

Jim
Old 08-16-2012   #120
Tyler Townsley

Saw you guys today. Friend and I were en route to Jasper and saw you going south, south of Banff. We are in Jasper tonite and out tomorrow.Tyler
68 Torch Red
88 ZR1 Blue
90 ZR1 White
Tyler Townsley is offline   Reply With Quote