ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-30-2009   #71
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Re: 1st LT5 engine pull, looking for tips and tricks

Jeff, Tom and Jerry,

Thanks for the comments and inspiration........it will surely keep me going. I have to try to do a little during the weeknights or this will take me forever. I really want to drive this Z again.

Aloha,
Old 11-30-2009   #72
Hammer

Talking Re: 1st LT5 engine pull, looking for tips and tricks

Reminds me of when I was painting an SS396 El Camino. Got to looking at the engine bay and how dirty it was and how it would look like crap if I didn't do something with it. Next thing I know the front end is off and the engines out. No other way to make it right.

Looking great Craig.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009   #73
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Reminds me of when I was painting an SS396 El Camino. Got to looking at the engine bay and how dirty it was and how it would look like crap if I didn't do something with it. Next thing I know the front end is off and the engines out. No other way to make it right.

Looking great Craig.
Thanks John. I hear ya and like Jeff said too, we all seem to get caught up in doing something while we're in there. I guess I will be happy when all is said and done even though this project is dragging out.
Old 02-08-2010   #74
HAWAIIZR-1

After cleaning the block several times and then with marine clean and metal prep, taped up to prepare to paint the block with POR-15 Stirling Silver.

Finally ready for the installation of the liners!!
Old 02-08-2010   #75
tomtom72

Now that's going to be a very sweeeeeet looking motor when it's dunn!

It is soooooo clean....looks like the day it was born!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010   #76
HAWAIIZR-1

Thanks guys, definitely not stock or NCRS ever again, but it feels good and as long as it runs as good it looks I will be happy. I'll be sure to start a new thread with the assembly.
Old 02-10-2010   #77
BlackWidow#2

Hi Craig, Where was the cam timing and what did you find to explain your low compression? Good luck with the rest of the project. George
BlackWidow#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010   #78
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow#2 View Post
Hi Craig, Where was the cam timing and what did you find to explain your low compression? Good luck with the rest of the project. George
Hello George,

Unfortunately I don't know exactly how far off the timing was other than the pins when checking with factory setting method. I could not figure out the true cause of the low compression other than the fact that the entire driver's side bank was lower and to me related to the camshaft timing. Testing with vacuum and engine running did not give any specific indicators and appeared normal using Mightyvac procedures. Did not do a leak down test and was going to rebuild anyway at the time. I had decided to just get the heads reworked and replace the bottom half components so I could cover all basis and shoot for more HP at the same time with all the porting work. I will definitely degree the camshafts upon assembly or at a minimum verify all the settings to ensure within specs. Thanks for your wishes and I will need it. Just waiting on some piston rings since the bottom half assembly I bought arrived with all but one of the oil rings broken or damaged.
Old 02-10-2010   #79
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
I will leave it for Craig to answere your question regarding low compression.

I do not think Craig degreed the camshaft but the camshaft pins did not drop in on one bank when he checked the camshaft timing. Craig suggested experts could tell from the picture. The pins either drop in or do not drop at all and it is impossible to tell without looking in the hole where the pins are placed in the camshaft to see how far the camshaft slot has rotated out of alignment for pin insertion. It is also hard to tell a few degrees off by just looking at the cams. http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9813&page=4 (post #33)

Pete thinks cams are retarded 4 degrees. http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9813 (post #8)

Marc Haibeck suggests there is about 3 deg of play (6 deg measured at the crankshaft) between the sprocket timing plate flat (venier plate) and camshaft flat (90'-92'). As one tightens the camshaft bolt you have to watch not to turn the camshaft in the timing plate (venier plate).

In other words, even if the camshaft pins drop in you can still be 6 deg off at the crankshaft.

This 3 deg of play (at the camshaft) actually allows you to set the camshaft timing at any angle within the 1.6 deg (at the camshaft) allowed by the pin holes in the venier plate and sprocket. This camshaft play is 3 deg (90-92 having single flats) and is reduced to 1.5 deg on 93s' (having double flats). http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1675&page=3 (post #23)

Thanks for your thought and tips. I'll take everything into consideration when reassembling.
Old 02-10-2010   #80
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Thanks guys, definitely not stock or NCRS ever again, but it feels good and as long as it runs as good it looks I will be happy. I'll be sure to start a new thread with the assembly.
Way cool Craig and thank you so much for posting it!

Hope everthing goes well and keep us updated.

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote