ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2017   #1
secondchance

Default EZ Pass transponder

Living in Northern VA (suburb of DC), with so many toll roads, and a new job in Bethesda, MD, now I am forced to drive through toll booths. Last time I realized that I had no cash on me, it cost me $35 dollars when the toll was only $1. Rather than relying on my alert mind to make sure I had cash in my pocket every day, I broke down and decided to join the mass and get me an EZ Pass transponder. Of course, typical windshield mount transponder will not work with our heat-reflecting film laminated windshield on our Zs and I did not want to stick it behind the detector port.

Upon research, I found out that there are other cars with special windshields and EZ Pass offers front license plate mount transponders. Since my Z is still registered in Florida, I have been free from front license plate and always had front license plate filler panel. I deduced the filler panel being non-metal piece (poly urethane, I think) would not impede operation of the transponder. And as you can see in the picture, OEM filler panel has an upturned lip behind the panel with perfect dimension to fit the transponder. What do you know...
I droped the transponder between the back face of the filler and upturned lip with a little strips of 3M double sided tape and remounted the filler panel.

Moment of truth. I pulled up to the full service toll booth just in case and the green light lit up!

No more worries over empty pocket!

Last edited by secondchance; 12-12-2017 at 12:39 PM.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote