ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-22-2023   #1
RedThunder

Default An Exterior Trim Question

Hi all,
I have a question I was unable to find an answer to (yeah, I tried the search funcion).

The '90 I picked up at the end of February (#0158) had/has what I thought was an incorrect rear (CORVETTE word) bumper emblem. The emblem is for a black car and is too small.

At some point, I'd read somewhere that the currently available replacements were NOT for a ZR-1 as they had larger (taller and wider) lettering.

After an exhaustive search, I was able to find a very expensive NOS white car emblem on eBay. A friend just finished correctly painting the white trim (to red), sprucing up the black and clearing the entire emblem

However, while waiting for the replacement to arrive and be refurbished, I realized that several pictures on the Registry showed the smaller emblem on supposed/assumed stock cars. Spurred by this realization, I pulled out old pics of my first '90 and low and behold, it had the smaller emblem on it before I changed it to a gold one (I know, but it seemed distinctive back in the early 90s).

So, what is "correct?" The smaller version that will also fit a standard vette or the larger I have to replace my incorrect black one. Help is greatly appreciated!!
RedThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023   #2
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: An Exterior Trim Question

The 1990 ZR-1 was the ONLY ZR-1 in the entire model run to have the smaller "CORVETTE" script logo.

In 1991-1995 went to the larger script. The one you pulled off was the correct size.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 07-22-2023 at 05:39 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023   #3
RedThunder

Well rats (very expensive rats)!!! But thank you, sir, for your answer.

Early in my search, I looked at the standard emblems but almost all of the vendors included the caveat that the item wasn't intended for the ZR-1. I don't recall a single one that had a reference by year.

Having already spent the dough, I'm inclined to use the larger, refurbished one. Don't have any Bloomington Gold aspirations and I doubt it'll be noticed at the local cars and coffee.

Thanks again for the prompt reply.
Old 07-23-2023   #4
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedThunder View Post

Early in my search, I looked at the standard emblems but almost all of the vendors included the caveat that the item wasn't intended for the ZR-1. I don't recall a single one that had a reference by year.

Having already spent the dough, I'm inclined to use the larger, refurbished one. Don't have any Bloomington Gold aspirations and I doubt it'll be noticed at the local cars and coffee.

"Most vendors" don't know. I don't say that flippantly be careful when you buy parts for your cars it's important to "verify" parts will fit on your ZR-1. Don't hesitate to ask questions here. Most of us here have been there and done that.

Happy to help. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023   #5
kz098123

IMG_6072.jpg

Here is small graphic I made a while back.

On the bright side, the 84-90 emblems are cheaper and much easier to find.
kz098123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023   #6
Z51JEFF

Quote:

Did you pay $500 for that emblem? In all the years I've had my Z that is the only part I could never find until recently and wouldn't even come close to paying $500 for one.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023   #7
-=Jeff=-

I switched to the larger on my 1990. my car is black and had a Red ZR-1 badge, I swapped the CORVETTE for the red and now have the later silver (both ZR-1 and CORVETTE) on the rear of the car
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023   #8
ghlkal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz098123 View Post
Here is small graphic I made a while back.

Thanks, that's helpful
1990 ZR-1 #2180 Red/Black
Many of the usual mods for 460HP, tuned by Marc Haibeck
ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1548
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023   #9
RedThunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
Did you pay $500 for that emblem? In all the years I've had my Z that is the only part I could never find until recently and wouldn't even come close to paying $500 for one.
No sir. I think that's where the pricing started (if you're talking the one on *B*y). And I agree I wouldn't have paid that initial price.

However, I kept my eye on that thing until the asking price dropped below $200. With standard emblems going for $50+, I offered and got it for $100. I figured hen's teeth might command a slight "premium."

I had a friend repaint the white border to red, then polished the black and cleared the whole thing. Just got it installed yesterday (Sunday) and I'm very pleased.

Interesting note: comparing the two emblems, not only is the 91-95 larger but the "font" of the letters is different. I was waivering as to what to do, but comparing the "R" in Corvette with the "R" in the ZR-1 emblem, I noticed the fonts matched....so that was the decider. I now have the larger emblem on my '90.
Old 08-12-2023   #10
Z51JEFF

Quote:
No sir. I think that's where the pricing started (if you're talking the one on *B*y). And I agree I wouldn't have paid that initial price.

However, I kept my eye on that thing until the asking price dropped below $200. With standard emblems going for $50+, I offered and got it for $100. I figured hen's teeth might command a slight "premium."
Did you get one of the 91-95 emblems for $100,if so I wish I would have seen that. If I needed one and couldn't find it I'd have on 3D printed. Here's something a little mind boggling,I have one of the few 94 Copper Metallic CORVETTE emblems that were made,but can't find a white one. Another odd thing to think about. The CORVETTE font on the cam covers is the 90 design,why didn't GM just change the later font design and start using it in 89,with the anticipation the Z would be released in 89 so the cam covers would match the rear emblem? At some point someone within GM had to catch that and realize somebody dropped the ball,or maybe the bean counters didn't want to spend the money for the minor change.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote