ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > OFF TOPIC

Old 08-21-2014   #1
Schrade

Default Trigger / hammer problem...

Any 'smiths on the boards here?

Q: Can too much oil in the hammer mechanism prevent the hammer spring from holding the hammer back, on a semi-auto?

When me and fletchusmc did range time this past Spring, the hammer wouldn't catch when cycling rounds. Working the slide by hand DID allow it to catch.

At home, I broke it down, and got some particulate jam from the hammer spring. Cleaned, oiled, and put away.

Tuesday, range time, same problem.

I'm not particularly interested in taking it to a smith; the hardware is not on paper.

It's a Type 54, '63 manufacture, that dad took from charlie in Nov. '66. So it's probably NOT a wear issue...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #2
USAZR1

Default Re: Trigger / hammer problem...

Weak hammer spring?
1994 ZR-1 White/Red #152 (sold)
1991 ZR-1 Callaway Aerobody #1332 (sold)
1990 ZR-1 Red/Red #952 (sold)
2002 Z06 Torch Red/Mod Red widebody
USAZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #3
John Boothby

Does it catch at the half cocked position, or auto fire?

Worn sear or weak ammo?

You say no diagrams? Have you checked internet?

Check out this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTyfZduOkic
1990 #148 Red/Saddle
Haibeck AYBKG5 Chip/RC Engineering/Flowmasters/K&N/Samco/Fuzzy Dice
:cheers:

Last edited by John Boothby; 08-21-2014 at 06:36 PM.
John Boothby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #4
alnukem

What I would do at work would be to pull the hammer pack out & ultrasonic the pack & lightly lube. You can always sharpen the edge of the hammer with a stone but it will give you a heavier trigger. If you need help, let me know.
alnukem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #5
alnukem

PS....what ammo was you running? Did it feel a little wimpy?
Old 08-22-2014   #6
Schrade

Others suggested hammer spring too there CLint.

JB - not on paper = undocumented hardware. It does catch in the half-**** position.

And I mentioned working slide by hand allows hammer to catch. BUT, snapping it back, by hand, and letting it go quickly, and hammer doesn't catch.

Al - you got armorer's tools? You do any 'smithwork? I can send the hammer pack, but can't send the whole piece, not being on paper. And it's not the same as CZ 7.62 x 25; it IS the same as Tokarev TT-33.

Ammo was Chi-com surplus. Some didn't pop; the ones that did, did NOT make the hammer catch, although the action cycled properly..........
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 08-23-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-30-2014   #7
Schrade

Didn't hear back from alnukem there - anybody else do any smithwork at all here? James River Armory doesn't do 1911's / 1911 A1's.

Any ideas otherwise here?

Need some work done on some other hardware too here - anyone have armorer's tools for 1911?

I need a blade front sight removed, and an OEM sight installed, and a rear OEM sight pressed into the dovetail with the sight press tool.

Why someone would do what they did to this .45, I don't know, but it's now 'correct' for it's serial number, except for the sights on the RR slide. Someone had installed Bo-Mag adjustable rear + the front blade (plus a Pachmeyer wraparound grip , and the essential ruin of the piece - STIPPLING IN THE FRONT OF THE MAG WELL ).

If anybody can do slide work, PM at me here. I have OEM rear + front sights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6683c.jpg (73.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6686c.jpg (81.6 KB, 36 views)

Old 08-30-2014   #8
A26B

It may be a worn sear or weak sear spring. If the sear looks good, nice sharp edges where hammer hooks engage, try bending the sear spring to apply more spring pressure on the sear.
The Main Spring aka Hammer Spring has nothing to do with the hammer latching with the sear. It provides the force to drive the hammer when fired.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014   #9
alnukem

Sorry...been busy Schrade. Did you get it running? I am not a smith but I have been full time shop for 35 years. PM me if you want my number.
Old 09-03-2014   #10
Schrade

Had a lengthy chat with Tim there; I think he was onto something (I hope) with the ammo that I was pushing through the hardware.

First box through the gun was Winchester 7.62 x 25. Never had a hammer / sear fail. Only with the Chi-com rounds, recently, have I noticed the problem.

Next range day will be with ammo, and we'll see what happens here..............