ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-07-2023   #11
bb62

Default Re: Gathering 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcich7781 View Post
First of all I appreciate all the planning and coordination that has gone into "The C4 Gathering 2023."

Though this venue is slightly closer to me in overall miles than the NCM in Bowling Green, I am on the fence, undecided on whether to attend.

Having recently been on a Hot Rod Power Tour in my ZR-1, I know I will never do that again.

After being stuck, backed up traffic in every single little town, in the heat of summer, with a manual transmission, in the cramped cockpit of my Z, I vowed to never do that again. It was way too hard on the car, and me, for that matter.

My experience from the Hot Rod Power Tour has taught me that type of event is best enjoyed in a comfortable vehicle with an automatic transmission.

Could getting to and from the Woodward Dream Cruise events be like that? Everywhere, bumper to bumper, stop and go, over and over?

Since I don't own a car trailer and tow vehicle, I may attend the Gathering in my civilian car, which I know will navigate those traffic congested, potholed city streets and interstates between my home and Troy Michigan much better than my lowered Z.

I don't really know what to think? I have never been to that local area of the country in my Z. Will I bend up another rim, or smoke my clutch?

My car is not made of eggshells, but I know for a fact the interstates between my home and the Detroit area are a battlefield. It wouldn't take much to put me in a rental car to get home.

I guess I could possibly plot a route through the back roads.

Perhaps someone could chime in on my comments with any of their experience with this event, local road, and traffic conditions to help me (and perhaps others) to decide.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Wow, some mild misinformation:
1. The worst roads you will likely find are in the Chicago area (which if you time correctly, you can avoid rush hour traffic).
2. I94 in Michigan is a pretty good road to run your ZR-1 upon. There are areas in Detroit that are terrible, but you're not going there. And Woodward Avenue itself is very well maintained.
3. The event is NOT 1 day. It is a week-long event. I've been doing this since the first cruise back in 1995 when it was more a weekend thing. Now it's pretty much a full week.
4. You will not be driving your ZR-1 the official day of the cruise (other than to find a spot early in the day with friends and sit and watch). It's too crowded for that.
There are places where 1-2 miles per hour is possible. Walking is faster. but there are other places where the cruising is pretty free and easy. Keep in mind that from the Detroit border (the cruise doesn't go into Detroit proper) to the Pontiac "Wide-Trac" loop, it's about 20 miles. North of 15 mile (or Maple Road) is pretty open. 13-15 mile is very slow. 13-about 11 is moderate. 11 to 8 mile can be slow to moderate. But VERY few people cruise the entire 20 or so miles. If you park anywhere between 14 and 16 mile, it is quite walkable, and that's where you will find most of the OEM displays and perhaps the most interesting cars.
5. Most of the Cruising is done on the weeknights leading up to the Saturday event. But it can feel like work traffic sometimes in the middle of the day. Wednesday is usually "Corvettes on Woodward". I've seen over a thousand Corvettes meet at the hotel just north of Long Lake (18ish mile) on Woodward.

I hope you decide to come. It truly is an experience.
bb62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023   #12
Mikey

Having grown up and lived in the Detroit area, I have been to many Woodward Dream Cruises since the very first one. The cruise itself is technically only on Saturday, but the event has become a 2-week draw with global attendance. Every night leading up to the actual cruise there are car group gatherings at various local establishments. Dugan's Irish Pub on Wednesday before the cruise was the unofficial official Corvette gathering where you could surely see every single year of production represented in the parking lot. I recall when the PT Cruiser was a fad, over 200 gathered in one parking lot one night of the week. It is one of the most ridiculous and cool car events one can attend. The car show goes 2-3 blocks deep either side of Woodward for about 17 miles!! Nearly any car from any era can be found on display along Woodward during this timeframe, if only there was enough time to see them all!

For sure I do not recommend trying to actually drive on Woodward on that Saturday, in ANY car. It is not enjoyable in the least and the road is clogged up by many tourists and families in minivans, it is not just the kind of cars you want to roll with. Do you want to be in the parade or do you want to watch the parade? Saturday is better for hanging out under a canopy on the side of Woodward with a cold one and watching traffic roll by. And wandering up and down as far as you can stand to walk to see the amazing collection of cars parked up and down every side road, back alley and parking lot. Many bleach soaked side roads for burnout exhibitions as well.

Having the Gathering there this year was a great idea, the variety of car related things to do in the immediate vicinity of Woodward and then around Detroit itself pretty much guarantees you'll thoroughly enjoy yourselves.

Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023   #13
mcich7781

I appreciate all your responses.

I knew I could tap into the vast knowledge base of our group here to ease my concerns.

Now if I can get off of work and talk my wife into going...

Sent from my SM-G955U using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
mcich7781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023   #14
kz098123

I'm currently on the fence about going. The Gathering and Carlisle are within a week of each other and I'll only be able to allot time to one of them. I'm waiting to see if there will be an itinerary for the Gathering before committing. Either one should be enjoyable.
kz098123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023   #15
WARP TEN

Following up on that thought from kz098123, Bob have you gotten any closer to a plan of events for the gathering? I know it is early and you are very busy but I was curious. If not, any idea when we might hear about a plan? Thanks for all your work on this. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023   #16
ZR1North

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
Following up on that thought from kz098123, Bob have you gotten any closer to a plan of events for the gathering? I know it is early and you are very busy but I was curious. If not, any idea when we might hear about a plan? Thanks for all your work on this. --Bob
Hi Bob, and all,

We'll have more details in the Heart of the Beast which is due out in just days. In a nutshell, planning is coming along nicely. Some things are still in the works as we are still a few months out, but here's a snap shot of what to expect for Gathering 2023 - in addition to the meet and greet on Tuesday night (Aug 15) at the Marriott (similar to usual pizza night at Holiday Inn BG) and the Dream Cruise participation on the Saturday (more detail in the upcoming Heart of the Beast on what that really means), the itinerary includes visits to Ken Lingenfelter's awesome car collection, the Ford Museum (Museum of American Innovation, Greenfield Village (next to Ford Museum), Gilmore Automotive Museum, Pratt & Miller (GM's race program engineers and managers), Motown Museum, as well as activities at M1 Concours on Woodward Avenue and a Gathering dinner. There are other things planned, but we are still awaiting details from the hosts or vendors before we lock them in. We need a little more time to nail things down 100%, and some of the things that currently have dates associated with them may have to be moved around as the itinerary gels. There will be lots of social time and driving experiences which people have told us are important. I expect to have more things available than we have time for, so people are likely to have to make choices among features available.

On that note, re choices, we will be launching a registration page on the ZR-1 Net Registry website within the coming days - again, more detail in the upcoming Heart of the Beast, the release of which is imminent; look for a note in your inboxes from Club President Horner when it is released. With the Gathering being 15-16 weeks away, we'll have to update the registration page as details become available, but we want to get registration up and running so that we will be able to get a sense early re participation. As everyone can imagine, managing logistics for this will be very different for 200 participants or more than it would be for 20, so we need to know sooner than later what the uptake will be. The more the merrier!

With so many members residing in the Great Lakes-Midwest region, we hope to get a great turnout and confirm that taking "the gatherings" closer to where members reside is what members want. Bowling Green will always be on the list but with things having changed in 2022, BG and the NCM will likely be for special occasions - anniversary years for example - than an annual thing per se.

Thanks to all for your patience. I hope this helps for now. I encourage everyone to read the Heart of the Beast edition 62 when it comes out in the coming days. I also encourage everyone that may be on the fence about participating to decide to come to Gathering 2023 - it will be a blast!

Bob
ZR1North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023   #17
WARP TEN

Thanks for the reply Bob--Sounds like a great plan. Looking forward to it. I will keep an eye out for the HOB.--Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023   #18
Mikey

https://m1concourse.com/wds-home/

Are we doing a club corral at M1?
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023   #19
ZR1North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
https://m1concourse.com/wds-home/

Are we doing a club corral at M1?
Hi Mike and Bob,

Glad to see you're coming, Bob. We are working with M1 Concourse on two options, Mike; one of which does indeed include the Corvette corral.

Since we have more to do than we have time to fit in during the week, we're working on the enviable challenge of trying to choose things that have firm dates associated with them - which is the case for the Corvette corral at M1 Concourse which happens on the Friday - in such a way that they don't impact some other things that we'd like to do as well. Ultimately, I expect people will have to make choices for some of the four days of the event, which is great. We're designing the registration page on the Registry so that the choices, and how people make them when registering, are clear.

The Heart of the Beast, due out any day now, will have more detail and as communicated in the HotB, the itinerary will be somewhat fluid throughout May, so i encourage people to stay tuned here, on our Facebook page and for messages from the President as we nail things down in the coming weeks. Meanwhile, I encourage people to reserve their rooms and register on the Registry website (two different processes) when we are notified that the registration page is up and running.

Thanks all.
ZR1North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023   #20
tikitb8

Update on parking for Woodward on Friday and Saturday.
The city of Royal Oak has offered us parking on Woodward and 13 Mile Road. This is in a very good location to see everything and walk around. Cost is $50 for both days.
I can't get my password reset for the Registry store so don't know what info is already mentioned on the registration.
The parking is for Friday AND Saturday from 9 AM to "close". "Closing" time on Woodward is usually around 9PM and the police will clear Woodward of all cars.
You can park and come and go as you please on Friday only. On Saturday there is too much foot traffic to allow in and out traffic. Once in, once out and I have no idea how they keep track.
There is now a web page for parking registration. You will need to set up an account but it's all pretty straight forward. Your credentials will be mailed to you. The parking is first come first serve and it will fill up.
The city will have bleachers set up for event viewing but bringing a folding chair is good.
Royaloakrec.com then Dream Cruise Registration and car show.
tikitb8 is offline   Reply With Quote