ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-13-2003   #11
Anonymous

For what it's worth, two weeks ago I was at the Great Lakes Corvette challenge with my ZR1 and there was a new Z06 running as well. This was my first time ever drag racing and the Z06 owner had previous experience - though this was his first time at the drags with this Z06. Anyway, I ran a 12.4 sec granny shifting with wheel hop. He ran a 12.5 and had traction problems. I have an after market exhaust and 4.10 gears and he had a cold air system. My feeling is the Z06 really isn't any faster than the ZR-1. However, the Z06 is much much easier to mod.For me, the deciding factor was investment. I doubt the Z06 comes anywhere close to the ZR1 in terms of investment. A '93 - '95 ZR1 will surely be a much better investment.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003   #12
Anonymous

Well, 4.10 gears? Put that in a Z06 and you should get mid range 11's on the Z06. The Z06, with the right driver, right out of the box will turn between 12.3 - 12.6, with the stock rear. Again, depending on the driver. The ZR1 was designed to compete, in it's time, with the foreign exotics. The engine was the first in Corvette history to be manufactured out of house, and the first dual overhead cam in a Corvette. Rear body is slightly modified for improvement. Plus, key on and key off with two injectors for each cylinder, make for an awesome ride in it's time. The Z06 C5 is the best technology for the present, as it is a newly designed engine for it's era, driving out the old cast iron 350 to make room for the all aluminum, lighter weight engine. Here's a push rod engine, less than 350 cu in, with single injectors for each cylinder, pushing out over 400 hp, and is compared with the '67 L88, '69 Z push rod big blocks, and can be modded out to over 500 hp. Well, to me that is an accomplishment. It is also, definitely a stronger designed body opposed to the unitized on the C4's. It is a better handling and balanced Vette. It's a much more comfortable and pleasurable ride. Here's how I look at it. The '57 fuelie, '63 split window Z06, '65 396, '67 L88, '69 Z, '70 LT1, ZR1, and the Z06 are what make Corvettes legends. The ZR1 will definitely be a classic, because of it's low production and uniqueness in the C4 generation, and the Z06 will definitely be a classic, because of it's change to the new engine design, and from 2001-2004 the production will be under 20,000, which is very low production for a signature car today. And because of the popularity of the Coupe and Vert, there have been rumors that they will discontinue the hardtop, which will make it all the more collectible. It's the first fixed roof hard top with a trunk in Corvette history. Both cars have their own strengths and characteristics, and the potential to demand higher dollars for collectibility. I would personally take a Z06 as a daily driver, over a ZR1. And, the Z06 is a lot of car for the money. I would never be ashamed to bring either Vette to the track or a car show presently or 5-10 years from now. With both cars, you know you have something special.Don't let ego's get in the way in a battle over which car is better. Both contribute to the Corvette community and the love for the only true American Sports car.The future will bring continued improvement in Corvettes, as history has always shown, but if you own any of the above signature cars, you will always be in a special class.(Edited by FatherLarry at 8:12 pm on June 1, 2003)
Old 12-13-2003   #13
Anonymous

I have a 1990 ZR1 and I have it insured as an exotic. It is covered for 28,000 and I pay 485.00 for the year. Restrictions are 3k a year, garage.
Old 12-13-2003   #14
Anonymous

a very very touch decision to make indeed...in fact i went through it for two years...not knowing enough about the z06...drive both...try and compare apples to apples if possible...my 90 was run down...slightly modded up....very rough ride...fast though...but had lots of little problems...then drove the new z06 and to me there was no comparison...dont get me wrong...there will always be a place in my heart that loves the zr...but only for sentimental values...the z06 is that great...recently i added a blower to my car...dynoes 443 rwhp,, and 444 rwtq...for me to achieve these numbers with my zr would just cost too much dinero....parts wont be around forever with the zr...plus my z06 drives like a caddy...the drive us just crisp...now try and compare the drive with a 95 zr and that could be a much different matter...you really have to analyze what you are going to do with the car...what helped me justify spending a small fortune on the difference was how long i plan on having the car...and for the coin it cost me...i am gonna have it for a very very long time...both great cars...but after owning my zr for six years..i have owned my z06 for almost a year...and i have not one regret...good luck in your decision....email me if you wish.
Old 12-13-2003   #15
Anonymous

d*amn
, this post is old...Asumming you even look back at this post, I am a Z owner in san diego, if you like, post an email adress and we'll talk. Have you decided already??