ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-02-2016   #1
Z51JEFF

Default New OEM ZR-1 windshields?

A company called CORVETTE WINDSHIELDS makes a stock windshield for ZR-1s and claims it's OEM. Anybody ever done business with them? The windshield in my 91s getting bad and at some point I'll need to replace it. Was planning on going with a stock windshield and then found this place. Difference between to two is staggering,maybe less than $175 for a base windshield compared to $2000 for the ZR-1 part but if it's OEM I'll go for the Z windshield. I'll be doing all the prep with only the installer dropping the glass in the frame. Man,I'm not looking forward to this job again.😩
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016   #2
spork2367

Default Re: New OEM ZR-1 windshields?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
A company called CORVETTE WINDSHIELDS makes a stock windshield for ZR-1s and claims it's OEM. Anybody ever done business with them? The windshield in my 91s getting bad and at some point I'll need to replace it. Was planning on going with a stock windshield and then found this place. Difference between to two is staggering,maybe less than $175 for a base windshield compared to $2000 for the ZR-1 part but if it's OEM I'll go for the Z windshield. I'll be doing all the prep with only the installer dropping the glass in the frame. Man,I'm not looking forward to this job again.😩
There are some people here who have bought them. Very high quality almost OEM appearance seems to be the going opinion. On that note, I'm parting out a 1991 with 29,000 miles if you're interested in the windshield, shoot me a PM.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016   #3
HAWAIIZR-1

Jeff,

I just bought one of the windshields a few months ago before moving to Japan from your neck of the woods. If I knew you needed one, you could have had it delivered at the same time. Because I was leaving in a short time after the shipment arrived, the owner personally delivered the windshield to my house in person after a few days of driving from the East Coast to CA. The movers arrived the next day to pack out; talk about close.

It is first rate reproduction if you ask me. These are made by Saint-Gobain, the same company that made the replacement windshields for GM for our cars. As you know, LOF made the original as manufactured with the car. These might even be of better quality than the original since those delaminated without GM honoring any type of recall. Depending on your insurance company, you might be able to get them to replace it as I was able to and they covered everything. I had to make it an issue about the view through the delamination and glare, etc. but they gave in.

Mine is being installed by a Corvette shop here while all the other body mods are being done. I can snap some shots for you when I visit the shop next Tuesday if they are working on it or done by then. It is nicely packed and sealed so you can be assured you are getting a quality item that the vendor will stand behind.

Aloha,
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016   #4
Top Toy

David Johnson is the owner of this business. He has early and late model versions of the windshields. This was a one time purchase, so the supply is limited. I have one to be installed at some future date. David's contact info is on his website at zr1windshield.com. You can also purchase them thru Marc Haibeck who can do the install.

Sent from my XT1254 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
'95 ZR-1, aqua/gray, #167
368 LPE/Haibeck, Web cams, Stainless Works headers, B&B Fusion exhaust, 18" Fikse wheels, Alcon brakes, lowered. 491 SAE RWHP.
Top Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016   #5
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Toy View Post
David Johnson is the owner of this business. He has early and late model versions of the windshields. This was a one time purchase, so the supply is limited. I have one to be installed at some future date. David's contact info is on his website at zr1windshield.com. You can also purchase them thru Marc Haibeck who can do the install.

Sent from my XT1254 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Really???....My Ole Friend Dave......NAW.....

OK...I admit it......I have two of his windshields with one installed

Replacing the Windshield and Wiper Motor

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-03-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016   #6
spork2367

From another thread where I asked about these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1North View Post
Roger,

If you are considering replacing the windshield, you might want to check with Rob DeMarco (founding member) who has an original ZR-1 windshield that I understand he'd be willing to part with. I am not displeased with the replacement I used from the aftermarket vendor mentioned earlier, but it isn't as good (obviously) as the original if you're considering replacement.

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1North View Post
It's a great fit, but the "radar cut-out" is much more pronounced than on the originals; one can definitely tell the difference between the two from a distance. That said, it DOES have the cut-out which you won't get on a regular C4 glass. If I had know Robert had an original, I would have definitely gone with it.

Since originals are nearly impossible to find, I'd personally opt for the ZR-1 replacement rather than the regular C4 windshield, but striking gold is finding an original.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016   #7
secondchance

I had a repro from David installed a few years ago. One of the best thing I did to the car. Delamination looked terrible and with 110,000 miles (at that time) of driving had taken its toll on the optic quality. It was like getting a brand new, scratch free eye glasses.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016   #8
Dynomite

Originally Posted by ZR1North
It's a great fit, but the "radar cut-out" is much more pronounced than on the originals; one can definitely tell the difference between the two from a distance. That said, it DOES have the cut-out which you won't get on a regular C4 glass. .

No.....the original radar cut-outs are......much more pronounced on originals

Original....can you see the radar cut-out?? ....................New Reproduction ZR-1 Windshield...yes..the radar cut-out IS there.

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-03-2016 at 08:18 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote