ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-28-2016   #41
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: Prices and Valuation

Only useless thing I can add is I never purchased my car as a money investment. I bought mine because I always wanted one since they came out.. Thee will always be someone faster than me, there will always be one newer than me. At the end of the day, I have a fun car in the garage and a smile on my face
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016   #42
G8nightman

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Only useless thing I can add is I never purchased my car as a money investment. I bought mine because I always wanted one since they came out.. Thee will always be someone faster than me, there will always be one newer than me. At the end of the day, I have a fun car in the garage and a smile on my face
Couldn't have said it better
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2315 'SOLD'
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2774 'SOLD'
91 Chevy ZR1 Callaway aerobody
91 Chevy ZR1 #1512
91 Chevy ZR1 #951
95 Chevy ZR1 #338 'SOLD'
91 BMW 850i
94 BMW 850csi
95 BMW 850csi
94 Lotus Esprit S4
07 Benz CLS550
06 BMW M5 "SOLD"
G8nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016   #43
tf95ZR1

More not good news.
Read the last paragraph about the ZR-1

http://collectorscarworld.com/news/graph-of-the-week-7/
tf95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016   #44
LGAFF

World speed history needs to be publicized as part of its history.....class record still stands!
http://www.fia.com/sports/fia-world-land-speed-records

Overall is with the VW W12 Prototype
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016   #45
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by tf95ZR1 View Post
More not good news.
Read the last paragraph about the ZR-1

http://collectorscarworld.com/news/graph-of-the-week-7/
And I think that is what these cars are relegated to. Unless you're willing to buy a pile of spare parts, or several parts cars, you will always have a car that if driven, could have a failure that may not be fixable in the future.

The body style was too much (or too little I suppose) for the awesome engine to overcome, and the fear of parts availability will never allow them to reach their potential as investment cars.

That doesn't stop us from loving the car, buying them, and keeping them running, it just stops them from accruing major value. I know there are people out there (and in here) waiting for these to go the way of the Ferrari 308, but it isn't likely to happen.

I laugh every time I drive by a base C4 listed over 10k....yeah, good luck.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016   #46
MickeyD

I think everyone's question to prices of our cars are valid. For me, I bought mine first because of the depressed price and hope for increased value in future. I think I bought them right. Will they go up in value? In reality no one even on here knows. I have 2 with low mileage I drive sparingly, just around block to keep them running. The third I drive but not a lot. If they skyrocket up in 5 years, I look like a genius. (Which I'm not!) If they don't I have 2 brand new cars that I absolutely love having, because I could not afford brand new. For those of us who drive them like they stole em, and they'll never go up in value, I think thats a great idea. For those of us that are keeping them in our museum at home, I think thats a great idea. No one is wrong either way. Buy em and do what you love to do with them! And btw, I think everyone is entitled to my opinion. Although I could be wrong. Just my 2 cents.
1990 ZR1 Red/Black #2469
1990 ZR1 Black/Black #843
1993 ZR1 Ruby 40th Anniversary #112
MickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016   #47
henryr

i'm new over here from fchat....so this may be out of turn but...

i'll call hogwash on the parts / electronics issue...

many of the F cars have parts that are NLA (as in your paying $2k for a fog lamp) or it needs to be made. when i sold my car, springs and rear sway bars were not available for my model. seen testarossa prices lately ?

what about 928s ? they are electrical nightmares. they've more than doubled.

the cost to rebuild motors on a 88 M3 and M5 cost as much as a used ZR1. they have tripled plus in value.

ZR1s cars are cheap.
henryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016   #48
Kevin

You're not out of line at all. A friend of mine owns both a red head and a 928 and the prices of these cars are insane. Even 328 prices are getting nuts. And dare I say that the 928 and TR aren't that great to drive.
Old 10-06-2016   #49
mike100

I've been getting $15k-ish offers on my 42k mi 91. I think it is worth a little more, but you have to accept the fact that these cars are getting closer to $10-$12k range for higher mileage examples and everybody wants a deal.

No first time C4 owner is thinking about spares, rebuilt ZF's, or the fact that one car has had thousands of dollars thrown at it and another not. They just want the cheap price.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016   #50
spork2367

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryr View Post
i'll call hogwash on the parts / electronics issue...

many of the F cars have parts that are NLA (as in your paying $2k for a fog lamp) or it needs to be made. when i sold my car, springs and rear sway bars were not available for my model. seen testarossa prices lately ?

what about 928s ? they are electrical nightmares. they've more than doubled.

the cost to rebuild motors on a 88 M3 and M5 cost as much as a used ZR1. they have tripled plus in value.

ZR1s cars are cheap.
Hogwash in what sense? That people aren't worried about electronics on a limited production OBDI engine? Or that they are hard to find and or expensive? Any part or service on one of these cars has to be looked at in terms of the percentage of the value of the car that the part or service constitutes. A 10-15k rebuild may be reasonable on a car that is worth 100,000, but is not reasonable on a car that is worth 20,000.

A Ferrari 308 (same class as ZR1) ECU can be had on Ebay for 400.00. When is the last time you saw a ZR1 ECU for 400.00? A Ferrari 308 ignition module is 200.00. A Porsche 928 ignition module is 250.00. And that is for cars that are double or triple the price of a ZR1. So based on the average value of a 308 an ignition module is .0033 percent of the cars cost. The average cost of a 928 is about 70,000. That makes the ignition module about .0035 percent of the cars cost.

A decent ZR1 ignition module without broken plastic is going to run 700.00. With the average price of a ZR1 hovering in the 25,000 range that makes the ignition module almost 3% of the cars cost. That's insane. People are going to start buying 10,000 dollar drivers for parts cars.

In the case of the 928, the basic engine architecture of the DOHC engine spanned a 10 year production period and they made 61,000 928's (20,000 with DOHC engines).

In the case of the 308, the engine was used in multiple models, not just the 308. It was also in production for several decades. And even the Ferrari 308 saw 13,000 units produced.

Despite the fact that ECU and ignition module failures constitute a relatively low percentage of issues that make a ZR1 a paperweight, if you own the car where one fails....you aren't going to care that you make up the .001 percent of failures. In 5 years there likely won't be any DIS modules for sale.

I am on my way to owning two parts cars and a complete engine and I don't have a driving ZR1...
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote