ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 04-20-2014   #1
HIZNHRZ

Default Another Great Job by Marc Haibeck

Thursday, I picked my car up from Marc Haibeck's shop who prepared the car for a 700 mile drive home. This is the second time my car has had a Chicago winter vacation in Marc's shop. He continues to improve what was already an amazing driving experience. The first trip Marc installed his 500Hp top end package. This trip, Marc completed the following:

- Installed a RAM C4 clutch parts and Marc's custom modifications adapting off-the-shelf RAM parts to the ZR-1's dual mass flywheel.
- Reinstalled a Bill Boudreau balanced and blueprinted rebuild of the cars original transmission.
- Safelite standard OE windshield.
- Shimmed the front springs to level the passenger to drivers side ride height.
- Installed C6 ZR1 style wheels and new Michelin runflat tires resulting in the correct C4 ZR1 track width.
- Completed an array of misc. maintenance procedures.

I bought the car eighteen years ago well under the ZR-1 going price (at the time) knowing it had a number of driveline issues. The original owner of my 91 ZR-1 put virually no miles on it but had several mods installed that did not work out so well. For the first 12 years I owned the car it remained a garage queen. About six years ago Marc installed his 500Hp top end upgrade. The car now runs perfect. Less than 18 months ago a new dual mass flywheel and Carolina Clutch package were installed. Within the first couple of 7K RPM shifts, the clutch plate failed. This was the primary reason for taking the car to back to Marc. The clutch and gearbox now operate better that new.

Marc's conversion clutch system leverages a number of parts from RAM's standard catalog of highly reliable performance parts that should be available for years to come. Availability of replacement parts was an important factor for me as many key OE clutch system parts are no longer available. Some parts are re-purposed LT4 items represented and sold as suitable for the LT5. Others are offshore knock-off products. My personal experience with both drew me to Marc's RAM package. The feel of the RAM clutch is similar to, but in my judgement, an improvement over the operation of the OE version. The top half of the clutch pedal's range of motion is virtually identical to the original OE system. After the halfway point the clutch pedal has a lighter feel. During my drive home I felt a noticeable improvement especially at the many stop and go toll booths encountered along the way and during a single hard launch and 1-2-3 shift. Maybe it was simply the enjoyment of having my car back but everything seemed to operate easier, faster, and smoother than before the combination of Bill Boudreau's transmission work and Marc's RAM conversion.

I had ZR-1 take-off wheels and tires on my 2006 Z06. I liked the look of the wheels a lot. The Michelin runflats were a great handling and road tire on a C6 and while they were an improvement over the OE Goodyears they were still noisy. Without 17" wheels, I found the the C4 options for repairing a flat tire unacceptable. I wanted to try runflats on my 91 ZR-1 but wasn't sure what to expect. The tires I went with are standard ZO6 sizes so I felt there was little risk of them not working out. The car is stable at speed and is smooth and predictable in a transition from a straight to a high speed corner. To a casual enthusiast, I think my ZR-1 is easier to drive and more forgiving than my C6 Z06. The one thing I noticed on both the Z06 and ZR-1, and I think this is more likely a combination of the runflats stiff sidewalls and considerably larger wheels, is the ride can get fairly rough on a sudden uneven road surface. An example would be hitting a curve with a larger than normal seam between the road surface and a bridge at a high rate of speed or a patch of road where the top layer of asphalt has been compromised.

I no longer have a ZR-1 correct GM windshield. I never realized how much the delaminated windshield detracts from the overall look of the car. I'm pleased to be done with the OE version.

Talking about how easy Marc is to work with and about what a great job he does on everything he puts his hands on is old news. Years ago, I took pride in being able to do, most anything I needed, myself. I simply don't have the time, and quite frankly, don't have the energy any longer. I've often said if it were not for the ZR-1 NetRegistry, being fortunate enough to live in WAZOO service area, and Marc Haibeck, I would not be able to keep up with my 23 year old ZR-1.

I recently sold my C6 Z06. Deciding whether to keep the ZO6 or the ZR-1 was a difficult choice. I really enjoyed the Z06 but I knew I would never be able to replace the ZR-1 so it's the one I kept. Because of the NetRegistry, WAZOO, and Marc, not only is my ZR-1 a better car that it was new, it's still highly revellent in a conversation about the best production over-all performance vehicles of all time. Long live the King.

Last edited by HIZNHRZ; 04-20-2014 at 11:35 AM.
HIZNHRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014   #2
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Another Great Job by Marc Haibeck

Couldn't agree more!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014   #3
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Scott,

Thanks for posting up!! Love hearing ANOTHER great story about Marc and his work.

How about some pictures of your ZR-1 with those wheels!?!?!?!?!??! And how do you like that clutch?

Congrats!!

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014   #4
Blue Flame Restorations

And another happy Haibeck owner story!

Got any pics???? Sounds beautiful
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014   #5
secondchance

Great to hear you got your car back and, more importantly, how happy you are with improvements made.
Hope to see you soon!
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014   #6
JimZRyd

Plan to one day make that trek with my 94. Like others have said, pics Brother!

1994 ZR-1 Admiral Blue/Black #245
1996 Callaway Supernatural 450
JimZRyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014   #7
We Gone

Congrats, Yes Marc does some great motor work love my 510 package.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #8
Karl

Please post pictures of your car with the C6 ZR1 wheels.
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014   #9
WARP TEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Gone View Post
Congrats, Yes Marc does some great motor work love my 510 package.
Me too! Couldn't agree more--Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014   #10
HIZNHRZ

Haven't had time to take any pictures myself. Here are a couple of shots Marc took when the car was in his shop.

First, here's what can happen when a LT4 clutch plate is engaged with a modified LT5 at 7K RPM.

Either the suspension has not settled or this picture was before Marc made the final ride height adjustments; also, center caps obviously not yet installed...
HIZNHRZ is offline   Reply With Quote