ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-16-2014   #11
Blue Flame Restorations

Default Re: wow some cool words at barrett jackson .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Eyres View Post
I call BS on that opinion

C'mon, a car with a production run of nearly seven thousand is never going to be worth anywhere near what an L88 is. The big bucks value of the L88 is directly related to it's rarity. They built how many total L88's? 216 or so?

Some expert.

Whoops, I take that back. Perhaps he's referring to the 1970 ZR-1, which had the smallest production run of any small block Corvette. A total of 25 were built.

I'm hoping (and I know he's not) he's referring to EX5014 and EX5023 KOH Prototypes. The only 2 of 25 built to still exist. These two C4 pre ZR-1's are as rare as they get and the only two wide bodies with EX numbers. Historically significant to say the least. These development Prototypes paved the way for the rest.
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #12
WydGlydJim

I think Roy Sinor owns the Admiral Blue with red guts 1 of 1 car.

http://news.barrett-jackson.com/roy-...matching-zr1s/

Roy Sinor’s Matching ZR1’S
January 13, 2012
Written by Barrett-Jackson
Matching ZR1sIn the more than 33 years that he has been an NCRS member, Roy has been active in all phases of the hobby and the organization. Roy has been instrumental in the NCRS effort working with Barrett-Jackson to improve the accountability of the statements and documents being presented with vehicles crossing their auction block. NCRS has developed and Barrett-Jackson provides not only the Award Confirmation Document Service, which documents any judging records on a specific vehicle within NCRS, but also in a more recent development, NCRS now provides a Document Validation Service for any documents provided as GM-issued for each 1962 through 1975 Corvette entered in the auction.

Thanks to his close association with General Motors, well-known Corvette enthusiast Roy Sinor was able to create this special matched set of 1994 and 2009 Corvette ZR1s, both serial number 5800074. Literally “one of one,” they’ve been prominently displayed at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Ky. Sinor emphasizes that these are his personal cars, which he intended to own forever. Circumstances have changed, however, and he decided to sell the two cars, which will be sold only as a pair. This is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to own a unique set of celebrity Corvettes that bring a whole new meaning to the term “matching numbers.”

Sinor, president of Sinor Prestige Automobiles, is a prominent collector, popular concours judge and professional consultant with a client list that reads like a Who’s Who of the collector car hobby. A graduate mechanical engineer, he’s been an active member of the NCRS for more than 33 years. He frequently contributes to Corvette Market magazine and is considered one of the most knowledgeable Corvette experts in the world.

In 1984, Chevrolet finally introduced a new Corvette. The C4 is better in almost every way than the “Coke bottle” cars of 1968 through 1983…streamlined, modern and capable of world-class performance. Two years later, General Motors bought ailing Group Lotus and promptly put Lotus engineers to work on an aluminum block V8 with double-overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder. The Lotus-engineered production LT5 engines were actually assembled by Mercury Marine, then shipped to the Corvette assembly plant in Bowling Green. In addition, Lotus racing engineers helped develop the FX3 adjustable ride control suspension that would be standard on every one of these special Corvettes.

The ZR1 was available only as a coupe with a 6-speed manual transmission, ordered as a Special Performance Package that nearly doubled the price of a standard Corvette. Along with the special engine, the ZR1 package added a wider rear body highlighted by four square tail lamps in a convex fascia, 11” wide rear wheels and a high-mounted center brake light.

After its debut in 1990, the ZR1 was improved each year. By 1994, engine modifications raised output to 405hp @ 5,800 rpm and 385 ft/lb @ 5,200 rpm. Traction control, additional ZR1 badging and improved emissions systems also made 1994 the ultimate C4 ZR1, since the model continued into 1995 unchanged. Over six years, 6,939 C4 ZR1 Corvettes were built, and all were considered collectors items from Day One.

But some ZR1s are more collectible than others. Sinor’s 1994 ZR1 is the 74th built in 1994 and is documented as the only Admiral Blue with Torch Red interior ZR1 in existence. According to his research, every other C4 ZR1 built was a duplicate of at least one other car. In other words, serial number 5800074 is the only totally unique C4 ZR1, literally one of one. This color combination turned out to be so striking, it was later selected by Chevrolet stylists as the scheme for the limited-production 1996 Grand Sport.

Malcolm Konner Chevrolet in Paramus, N. J., specialized in unusual Corvettes, and this car had been special-ordered for Konner’s son, Gary. It has every possible option, including a glass roof. The MSRP was a whopping $69,043 in 1994, a far cry from the $36,185 of that year’s base Corvette. It comes with complete documentation and literature, has never been wrecked, repainted or damaged, and earned an NCRS Chapter Top Flight certification. The odometer reads just over 11,000 miles.

In 2009, Chevrolet revived the ZR1 concept. The C6 Corvette was already one of the most exotic high-performance Sports cars in the world, especially in Z06 trim. In simple terms, to create the new ZR1, Corvette engineers started with the Z06, including its expensive aluminum chassis and magnesium suspension pieces. They added a Roots supercharger to the already potent LS3 V8, creating a monster called LS9 that produces 638hp @ 6,500 rpm and 604 ft/lb of torque @ 4,000 rpm. Coupled to a close-ratio 6-speed gearbox with heavy-duty twin-disc clutch, it drives the 3,364-pound ZR1 from 0 to 60 in 3.3 seconds and up to 205 mph. That not only makes the ZR1 the fastest production Chevrolet ever, but world-class, right up there with Porsche 911 Turbos and Ferrari 458s.

The ZR1 is far from one-dimensional. It was given huge carbon/ceramic disc brakes with drilled rotors, 15.5” in diameter in the front, 15.0” in the rear. The front wheels are 19” and the rears 20”, both shod with wide Michelin Pilot Sport tires. The ZR1 pulls a remarkable 1.05 G on the skidpad. Two-mode magnetic suspension damping, carbon fiber bodywork with a clear Lexan panel over the engine and a variety of performance tweaks enabled a stock ZR1 to set a one-lap record of the demanding 12.944 mile Nordschleife loop of the Nürburgring at 7:26.4, a time that is 23 seconds faster than that set by a comparable Z06.

When the new ZR1 appeared, Sinor knew he’d been given a unique opportunity to create a pair of matching number ZR1s. Because of his fame in Corvette circles, he was able to do a VIP Delivery of a 2009 ZR1 with serial number 5800074, matching that of the Konner 1994 ZR1 already in his garage. Even a VIP can no longer order a matching serial number ZR1, so this C4/C6 pair will always remain unique.

The C6 ZR1 was ordered in Jet Stream Blue, which is very close to the Admiral Blue of the 1994 ZR1. As Sinor says, “I actually tried to get a red interior to match the C4 car, but since they didn’t offer a red interior in 2009, it was just not a string that I could pull within General Motors.” So his car has an Ebony/Titanium interior and every available option, including chrome wheels. MSRP is $122,800. Like the C4, it also has roughly 15,000 miles on the odometer and is essentially brand new in every way.

Sinor was able to do the Factory Buyer’s Tour and spent two days on the assembly line watching 5800074 be built. He was the first person to start the engine and drive it off the assembly line for Museum Delivery. He has records, photos and documentation of all that. Since then, it has been coddled as part of his personal collection. Obviously, when Sinor’s C6 ZR1 is paired with the Gary Konner C4 ZR1, this is a truly special pair of matching serial number, celebrity-owned cars for a die-hard Corvette collector or museum — a set that can never be duplicated.

-— By Rich Taylor

- See more at: http://news.barrett-jackson.com/roy-....fi9mifbK.dpuf
1973 LS4/sold
WydGlydJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #13
Mystic ZR-1

...and don't forget, ZR-1s are the only ones
with more than one cam!
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #14
Z06scentair

What's funny to me is the 1970 ZR1 that popped up on Fleabay today. 160k takes her to a new home.

I still feel the price will climb on the ZR-1's as time goes on. My old man says he feels the same and he would buy one if he were younger than 70.

Always try to listen to what he says about value of cars.....live by the old statement

"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years." - Mark Twain
Z06scentair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014   #15
bradley

I guee=ss I am a glass 1/2 full type of guy . I still think it cant hurt to have that kind of statement come out on national t.v. by a corvette n.c.r.s guy . guess time will tell.
bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #16
Bob Eyres

I think that the reason for the varying assessments of the ZR-1's worth hinge somewhat on knowledge of the car. Those that aren't steeped in the history of the ZR-1 tend to undervalue it. The guys on this forum on the other hand, because of their knowledge and love for the car might tend to overvalue it to a certain extent.

I would take Keith Martin's view seriously because he does know a lot about the car, and in fact speaks highly about the ZR-1 every time one appears in an auction. But his job demands that he be a realist, crunch the numbers, and give a straight assessment.

The article on the matching ZR-1's illustrates a concept of rarity that's prevalent in the collector car world. I call it "A distinction without a difference". In what ways are those cars superior in any way from average, well kept ZR-1's of both generations? Color choice? That earns a big "So What" from me.

The L-88 earned it's status, not just because of rarity, but because, in the days of monster engines, that high strung beast ruled the street. A predator from a different age that didn't even drink the same fuel that powers modern cars. The Tyrannosaurus Rex of Corvettes. That's why they're so valuable, not because it had radio delete, or a color not offered in your local Chevy store.

JMHO, others may vary.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #17
ZR-1 Franz

Just remember the 24 hours record run in 1990! This is more than ruling the streets.
Any other production car able of such a performance???? The car itself + its history
that is what makes the ZR-1 so special. I think this combination is what I would call rare!
Franz
Old 01-17-2014   #18
taximan

I still say the time is right to buy a C4 zr1. The reasons and qualifiers are the same as any collector car:

1. Rarity - We will see a distinct separation, which already exists somewhat, in % increases of the 92-95s over the 90-91s. (502,448, 448,448). The rarer color combos will carry a higher value also.

2. Age - These cars have crossed the magic 20 year threshold, and are now considered "classic cars" instead of old high performance days that have a bigger, bolder model to replace it. This "classic car" distinction catches the eye of an entirely different market.

3. History - The car is now being more publicized for its critical importance in Corvette history, rather than its "used to be best performance".

4. NCRS factor - Once a car becomes eligible for NCRS judging, its viewed as a more collectible, valuable car.
1995 "Last" Admiral Blue ZR1 #438
Member # 760
NCM Lifetime member #1005
NCRS # 23110

[I][B]Sting Rays Corvette Club of Florida
Gold Coast Corvettes Club[/B][/I]
taximan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #19
Bob Eyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by taximan View Post
I still say the time is right to buy a C4 zr1. The reasons and qualifiers are the same as any collector car:

1. Rarity - We will see a distinct separation, which already exists somewhat, in % increases of the 92-95s over the 90-91s. (502,448, 448,448). The rarer color combos will carry a higher value also.

2. Age - These cars have crossed the magic 20 year threshold, and are now considered "classic cars" instead of old high performance days that have a bigger, bolder model to replace it. This "classic car" distinction catches the eye of an entirely different market.

3. History - The car is now being more publicized for its critical importance in Corvette history, rather than its "used to be best performance".

4. NCRS factor - Once a car becomes eligible for NCRS judging, its viewed as a more collectible, valuable car.
I agree, good reasons to indicate that prices for all ZR-1's, both trailer queens, and regular drivers, have bottomed out and are on their way up.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #20
lisounds

also collector who wants a car from each generation
would have to decide what is the best c4 as a representation from each generation for their collection.

rareity... 95 pace car
96 grand sport
88 35th anniversary
ZR-1

horsepower.... ZR-1

technically advanced..... ZR-1

uniquiness....... ZR-1 ( not just a paint job)

that said i put a 95 z in my mini collection

1978 pace car L82 4speed
1995 ZR-1
2004 Z06
lisounds is offline   Reply With Quote