ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-26-2012   #21
1990 quasar blue

Default Re: Back fire at start

Unless they have changed the accells are 21 lbs. I believe factory are 22.8 lbs. Something you should tell Marc when you order the chip, if accells are what you decide on. Another thought regarding Marc and your chip. Does NH only have 10% ethanol like we do here in ma?
1990 ZR1 #2574
Medium Quasar Blue Metallic
1 of 19
1990 quasar blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #22
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
Thanks GC, you missed my point. Not GM injectors, but the actual size and rating of the injector. Like diferent size jets in a carb. Can I put in an injector that will flow more fuel and give me a bazillion more hp?

Only if you add a Turbo type R sticker to your rear window.

The real answer is no unless you have had porting and headwork you need more fuel delivery in those situations because the flow has improved and changed. Simply adding larger fuel injectors wont do the trick.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #23
efnfast

GC, already put the type R sticker in the rear window, didn't add nearly the hp they advertised. Nothing ever does.
1990 QB 10% ethanol for now.
So it sound like, unless my hand is forced, I'll wait until the car goes to Marc for porting to do the injectors, then Marc can pick them, seems he kinda knows what he's doing.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #24
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
So it sound like, unless my hand is forced, I'll wait until the car goes to Marc for porting to do the injectors, then Marc can pick them, seems he kinda knows what he's doing.

Concur
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #25
scottfab

Quote:
Thanks GC, you missed my point. Not GM injectors, but the actual size and rating of the injector. Like diferent size jets in a carb. Can I put in an injector that will flow more fuel and give me a bazillion more hp?
This has already been answered but I'll add that if you ask the RC folks they will confirm unless you're upward of 500hp already then the flow will not benefit from higher flow injectors. I replaced all 16 of them 12 yrs ago and have had no problems with them since.
=D>

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #26
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 quasar blue View Post
Unless they have changed the accells are 21 lbs. I believe factory are 22.8 lbs. Something you should tell Marc when you order the chip, if accells are what you decide on. Another thought regarding Marc and your chip. Does NH only have 10% ethanol like we do here in ma?
The difference in fuel flow is actually non-existent. The Accels are rated at 20#/hr w 39psi FP. At the more typical 48-50psi in our Z's they flow ~23#/hour. So no calibration change is necessary.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #27
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Negative. The proper AF ratio is what will give you the best performance; somewhere around 12.8 to 13.0:1 reading on a wideband sensor while tuning. Bigger injectors in closed loop will require less dwell time to satisfy the pre-determined AF ratio. As injectors get bigger, the dwell time gets shorter (in closed loop, i.e., idle) until the dwell time gets so short that the injector doesn't function well anymore and idle quality goes to hell.

Dom's right. On the WOT side, the stock 22# (or the 21# Accels) are more than adequit. Best power is made when the AFR is usually around 12.6 to 13.0 (varies with motor and atmospheric conditions at the time of testing), and there's plenty of dwell time left, even on a 500+ hp LT5. (Besides...IF it were that easy, we ALL would have spent a couple hours to swap injectors to some mega flowing injectors by now, instead of doing all that porting etc, etc. Just a thought.)

Just another thought... Take it from one who had a single injector go bad, you can end up burning a valve on that cylinder, especially if you're running with the secondaries intact. (another reason to chunk the secondaries, IMO). So, at least do a (hot motor) injector resistance test - all should be about 12-12.5 ohms for stock injectors. At 10 ohms, you have trouble on the way, and at 7 ohms...your idle may be the least of your worries!! Do whatcha want. I'm just sayin the 90-92 stock injectors can result in more than "minor" issues with idle/performance.

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 04-26-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #28
efnfast

Marc is going to have a chip for me at BG. He's going to calibrate for 12.8:1 AFR.
I asked about a custom tune, he said not at BG, too busy.
I'm going to send a letter to the p.o. and see if he'll share any info. He may have already done injectors.
So if I change injectors now, I'm still covered when I get to the 500 hp range?
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #29
RHanselman

Quote:
Marc is going to have a chip for me at BG. He's going to calibrate for 12.8:1 AFR.
I asked about a custom tune, he said not at BG, too busy.
I'm going to send a letter to the p.o. and see if he'll share any info. He may have already done injectors.
So if I change injectors now, I'm still covered when I get to the 500 hp range?
He tuned mine in 3 pulls @ BG several years ago and did a great job! I even got 4 more MPG on the way back to Vegas. 28 vs 24...
RHanselman is offline   Reply With Quote