ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 09-18-2015   #1
MuRCieLaGo

Default Googled "C4 ZR-1 review", here's what I found.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/fo...1/37915/page1/

What do you think?

1. "my uncle has a 91 or 92 ZR1 with about $10k worth of stuff done to the engine- cams, ported heads, cat back exhaust kit, reprogrammed ecm, etc. after all that, it dynoed at 410hp at the wheels.

on easter, he was telling me that he bought some $1000 hose assembly that bolted under the intake manifold to help the secondary butterflies to work better or something.. i asked him if that's what it cost to have the part installed- nope, that's how much the part cost. he put it in himself, and had to buy a special long torx socket to do it.

he was at an open track day at BIR last summer, and there were stock Z06's that were absolutely killing his car around the track. faster thru the corners, faster down the straights.. he thought it was fast until he did that, now he wants a Z06."

2. "I think a C5 Z06 is a no-brainer over a C4 ZR1. A better car in almost every way -- and more power to boot.

I believe the LT5 is an interference motor . . . that alone should scare you."

3. "I would rather have a C4 Grand Sport. That's my all time favorite Corvette."

4. "Maroon92 wrote: C4 Grand Sport.
This.

However the C5 pricing is real good. The problem with the ZR1 is gonna be the engine and maintaining it long term."

5. "This boils down to what you want with the car. Cool cruiser? ZR1. Track car? C5Z. Both? Grand Sport C4"

6. "The LT5 may be finicky"

Questions:
7. 10,000$ worth of mods, killed by stock Z06s?

8. Interference motor? Engine finicky, compared to the Z06?

9. What is so special about the Grand Sport?

10. I'm not hesitating at all between the C4 ZR-1 and the C5 Z06. I'll buy a ZR-1 all the way, without any doubt. But why are they destroying it that much on that discussion? Is it because they are retarded kids?
MuRCieLaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015   #2
Kevin

Default Re: Googled "C4 ZR-1 review", here's what I found.

"An interference engine is a type of 4-stroke internal combustion piston engine in which one or more valves in the fully open position extends into any area that the piston may travel into. By contrast, in a non-interference engine the piston does not travel into any area into which the valves open."
Old 09-18-2015   #3
XfireZ51

I ran a C5Z06 w my "$10,000 mod" LT-5 once. He had me by 2 lengths at the 1/8. I beat him by 2 lengths at the end. My trap was 5+mph faster than his 118-113.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015   #4
jcruz

I had a C5 (97) for a while. I dumped it for a ZR-1. I loved the styling on the C5 but the driver's seat was flimsy, the hood was flimsy, the doors were flimsy, and I had many electronic problems. Sure, it was fast, but I'm into the totality of the driving experience. Hard to beat a ZR-1 in that light.
1992 #043, Aqua/Gray 40k miles
jcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015   #5
Kevin

The zr-1 is faster then then base c5
Old 09-18-2015   #6
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcruz View Post
I had a C5 (97) for a while. I dumped it for a ZR-1. I loved the styling on the C5 but the driver's seat was flimsy, the hood was flimsy, the doors were flimsy, and I had many electronic problems. Sure, it was fast, but I'm into the totality of the driving experience. Hard to beat a ZR-1 in that light.
When I decided on a ZR-1, I drove a 2002 C5Z then a 93 ZR-1. The Z06 was very quick and agile, but I sat ON it, not IN it. And it felt very cheap.
The ZR-1 was a much more substantial car in practically every way. Not a go-kart.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015   #7
Corvettes White

For several years I drove a 89 back to back with a 99. I also spent time under the cars. The biggest difference was that the 89 was a more upmarket car in terms of features and materials relative to when the cars were designed.. Late '70's v. Late 80's.. George.
Corvettes White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015   #8
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

I read that post, and found it typical of the tripe written by those essentially ignorant of the ZR-1, OR they are simply repeating some of the myths propagated by those self-proclaimed "experts".

The best advise is to drive them both, and decide for yourself. Both have their pros and cons, and how each meets or fails to meet your expectations can only be determined by you.

Parts for the very limited number of LT5s is a real concern, yes. But, mitigating that is the motor is so bullet proof that it doesn't need a lot of tinkering (once the routine issues related to aged rubber hoses, etc, and effect of alcohol fuels is addressed).

The LT5 was conceived, designed, and built with beating all competition in mind. The concept was unique w/in GM's marketing mindset, and the car still holds the 24 hour average speed records for a production engine/car.

But, there is no question that the LSx is easy to find parts for and make power cheaply. But, in the end you'll still have a cookie-cutter motor, suitable essentially for pickup trucks and delivery vans also...

So why buy the LT5? Power under the curve. The power delivery is turbine smooth from idle to the rev limiter. And, in stock form the LT5 was starving for air (as demonstrated by the LT5 - II). It is common place now to get 510 hp at the crank while still having a smooth idle and using the stock cams and bottom end. This means you keep all the good manners of 'a go to church on Sunday driver (w/ AC on!)', all of the reliability of the stock cams/bottom end are famous for, and yet capable of a tire burning 55 mph 5-2 downshift run to 90 in 2nd gear, 120+mph in 3rd gear in the the quarter, and over 144 in the half mile in 4th gear**. And, afterwards, drive home and pick up a gallon of milk on the way w/o anybody suspecting there is a vicious BEAST moving among the rest of the grocery-getters.

As for a a C4 ZR-1 with 410 hp at the wheels getting waxed in every way by a stock(?) C5Z with ≈ 344 hp at the wheels...something isn't adding up!

As for preferring a C4 GS to (I guess) be unique AND perform on the track...? Well, unique paint and stick-on fender flairs, OK. But, performance wise in comparison? [sigh] It takes a "little" more to measure up on that score!

Like I said: you drive the C5Z and the ZR-1 and decide.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 09-19-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015   #9
Jim Nolan

I used to hear that guff when I was in car shows. I would answer with a couple things; You never see this engine factory installed in a truck, SUV or family car or have all the C5's and C6's park in a circle open the hoods, it looks like an old lady tupperware party. Take off the tupperware and dem some ugly motors. That usually shuts them up. The LT5 is a picture of beauty.
Jim Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015   #10
Mystic ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
I read that post, and found it typical of the tripe written by those essentially ignorant of the ZR-1, OR they are simply repeating some of the myths propagated by those self-proclaimed "experts".

yet capable of a tire burning 55 mph 5-2 downshift run to 90 in 2nd gear
Expert. Ex= has been. spurt= a drip under pressure... aka: "poseurs"

Love that 2nd gear!!!!!! Great for giving "demo rides"!!!!
Mystic ZR-1 is online now   Reply With Quote