ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-29-2016   #1
rush91

Default First car show and just huh.......

So I par took in my first ever car show today.....extremely hot day, around 95 degrees according to my Beast. Of course there was a bevy of new Mustangs, old ones too. Lots of trucks, a few bikes and a lot of 60s,70s muscle. And a lot of Trans Ams, but not many really nice ones. Any who I was one of only 4 Corvettes out of maybe 100 cars. There was me, a 1967 coupe with a 350, a 1982 Collectors edition and a 2010 Grand Sport......top 50 cars got trophy, along with Best in Show etc......I don't mean to be a jerk or stuck up or to come off that way. I had a great time and a lot of folks took pics of my ZR-1 and said its the 1st one they have ever seen. That was cool. But how can all the Vettes but mine get a trophy??? I'm sorry but the '82 was rough, and well rough....just scratching my head and kicking myself of not taking pics of some of the so called "top 50". Oh well, on another note, for being as hot as it was, my car ran incredible! Fans on at about 220ish, and stayed there sitting in traffic. I was happy about that, didnt run hot at all can't wait to get That Haibeck chip...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmp_2727-IMG_20160529_132418_386-1633135897.jpg (139.9 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by rush91; 05-29-2016 at 07:40 PM.
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016   #2
A26B

Default Re: First car show and just huh.......

Were the top 50 pick by popular vote of attendees? If so, you have your answer.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016   #3
MuRCieLaGo

Our ZR-1s aren't a treat for the eyes. You got to know what's a ZR-1 to love a ZR-1.

That's my opinion.
MuRCieLaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016   #4
ghlkal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush91 View Post
But how can all the Vettes but mine get a trophy???

I agree. I'm sure you had had the hood up ... didn't they look at the LT5 ??!
1990 ZR-1 #2180 Red/Black
Many of the usual mods for 460HP, tuned by Marc Haibeck
ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1548
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016   #5
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Exactly...

Last year a group of us 'FBI'ers attended a Corvette gathering at the Route 66 Autobahn with our ZR-1s. Robert DeMarco had his stunning Calloway ZR-1 there too. None of is were recognized either: not one trophy for anything in C4 class!

Well...I chalk it up to the ignorance fostered and nurtured by GM from the git-go where it comes to the Lotus/Mercury Marine ZR-1. F'gum. We know what we have, and now and then one of them gets a lesson in Corvette history!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 05-31-2016 at 01:39 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016   #6
Performawheels

We took our Z to the Plastic Fantastic All Corvette show in San Diego a few weeks ago....lots of different Corvette clubs were there, and my take was that the club members support each other, and since registered attendees did the voting, they had a decided advantage in picking the winners for each class....just the way it goes.
Performawheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016   #7
cvette98pacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Exactly...

Last year a group of us 'FBI'ers attended a Corvette gathering at the Route 66 Autobahn with out ZR-1s. Robert DeMarco had his stunning Calloway ZR-1 there too. None of is were recognized either: not one trophy for anything in C4 class!

Well...I chalk it up to the ignorance fostered and nurtured by GM from the git-go where it comes to the Lotus/Mercury Marine ZR-1. F'gum. We know what we have, and now and then one of them gets a lesson in Corvette history!
It was funny, Paul red 90 and my 91 Aerobody were put into the heavily modified class. I think the only thing on paul car that is not stock appearing is the exhaust tips.
How can you judge what you are looking at if you do not know what it is.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016   #8
Birddogtwo

Guys,
I feel your pain, while I don't drive a ZR1 just a muggle (96 CE) I would agree that people don't understand the ZR!. I have to confess I was perfectly happy with my stock LT4 until I ran with the bad boys on Mountain Run 4. I didn't really understand what special cars the ZR1s are. And I consider myself a Vette guy.
Any C4 including Zs or maybe especially Zs are underrated, under valued and misunderstood. . I would suggest you get story boards that not only have pictures but give a little history of the cars. At car shows, people are always fascinated with a little information. In a popular vote I think that would help be remembered.
Yesterday I was in a Corvettes only car show and due to the questionable weather only 1/2 as many of the usual 300 cars were judged. I had a build sheet and the brochure for my car on the dash. I was amazed at the number of people who walked by then stopped and read the information then walked around the car looking at it.
And really, I'm sure that on your way home from any Corvette event when you get on it a little bit it still gives you that uneraseable grin trophy or not.
Save the wave!
Dave
Birddogtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016   #9
dredgeguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Performawheels View Post
We took our Z to the Plastic Fantastic All Corvette show in San Diego a few weeks ago....lots of different Corvette clubs were there, and my take was that the club members support each other, and since registered attendees did the voting, they had a decided advantage in picking the winners for each class....just the way it goes.
100% agree. The club members vote for each other and if you are not with their group, no chance.

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016   #10
Vette73

I live up in the northeast and every Sunday year round you get a pretty big turn out by Jones beach.....Its a nice ride out there and most of the ride you drive on two unobstructed lanes each governed by water....

I was out there this past Sunday and many people except for " car guys" don't know about the ZR-1......You hear phrases like- I didn't know the wheels were that wide or what's that little key near the shifter?

A lot are very impressed with the look of the motor whether you know cars or not...One person who really liked the car showed me pictures of his 90 Callaway with custom interior, it even made Vette magazine years ago...

He stated something very true, the LT-5 is only specific in the ZR-1 meaning it was a combination of two companies coming together for one specific purpose and your not going to find an engine like that in any other car..

As he drove away in his Lamborghini Diablo I said- hey you wanna trade? He looked at me and said - you'll be sorry one day..So there are car people who will give the ZR1 it's due.

Needless to say he did not trade with me but knew a lot about the ZR1 and gave it, it's due..
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote