ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > OFF TOPIC

Old 11-06-2014   #1
Eric24

Default AND....I'm Retired!

A few years back when I was stationed at FT. Campbell, KY 101st Airborne Division/Rakkasans...

This community did something Patriotic, Selfless and down right Top Notch...

As most of you know, the Pirate himself, Mr. Jim Van Dorn holds a BBQ the night before the C4/ZR-1 Gathering, on this particular night he held an auction for my Soldiers and myself. He auctioned/sold items in support of my guys deployed to Afghanistan.

You see, we were an Infantry unit in a small COP in a bad spot, no PX, stores for us, all we had for support was care packages and sometimes internet that worked. We were attacked daily and let me just say, we saw lots of action....

Nothing lifted my guys morale then when we got mail/packages, we were so far out that we did not receive these packages that most guys get from schools and other agencies, no one liked to fly into our AO....

So...once we starting receiving packages from JVD that you all supported by buying items at his BBQ, my guys morale went from 0-180 MPH in 4.4 seconds ( haha, a little ZR-1 joke) because of the numerous boxes that you all purchased. We had guys from the other platoons wanting to be with me just because of all the food/snacks we received..

From the bottom of my heart, I thank you one last time...See, I just retired after 24 years and 3 months of Active Duty time, all spent in the Infantry and I just wanted to let you all know that with all those years in, this was by far the coolest, nicest, selfless thing I have ever received or seen......

And this act of kindess was not forgotten!

I salute you all...

MSG (R) Eric Egelstad

AKA - 'Stad
Eric24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014   #2
gbrtng

Default Re: AND....I'm Retired!

JVD cleaned out all kinds of ZR-1 stuff from his closet - we all bought something. Glad to help; and thanks for your service.
Old 11-07-2014   #3
Blue Flame Restorations

Thanks so much for your service.

Sincerely
Brett
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014   #4
FU

We greatly appreciate your service to our Country Eric.

That was a great time we had raising bucks for you and your men Eric. Your mom , dad and wife were in tear's over the outpour of kindness from the group. The owner of that facility poured his heart out to make that the greatest event of that gathering. Thanks' Jim.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237

Last edited by Blue Flame Restorations; 11-07-2014 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Content
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014   #5
vandornjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric24 View Post
A few years back when I was stationed at FT. Campbell, KY 101st Airborne Division/Rakkasans...

This community did something Patriotic, Selfless and down right Top Notch...

As most of you know, the Pirate himself, Mr. Jim Van Dorn holds a BBQ the night before the C4/ZR-1 Gathering, on this particular night he held an auction for my Soldiers and myself. He auctioned/sold items in support of my guys deployed to Afghanistan.

You see, we were an Infantry unit in a small COP in a bad spot, no PX, stores for us, all we had for support was care packages and sometimes internet that worked. We were attacked daily and let me just say, we saw lots of action....

Nothing lifted my guys morale then when we got mail/packages, we were so far out that we did not receive these packages that most guys get from schools and other agencies, no one liked to fly into our AO....

So...once we starting receiving packages from JVD that you all supported by buying items at his BBQ, my guys morale went from 0-180 MPH in 4.4 seconds ( haha, a little ZR-1 joke) because of the numerous boxes that you all purchased. We had guys from the other platoons wanting to be with me just because of all the food/snacks we received..

From the bottom of my heart, I thank you one last time...See, I just retired after 24 years and 3 months of Active Duty time, all spent in the Infantry and I just wanted to let you all know that with all those years in, this was by far the coolest, nicest, selfless thing I have ever received or seen......

And this act of kindess was not forgotten!

I salute you all...

MSG (R) Eric Egelstad

AKA - 'Stad
You know gang, there are so many who go around bragging about this or that, trying to create their own self-esteem, but then there are the few who actually make a difference. The Egelstads attended our Gatherings and drove all the way from WA state. When I heard Eric was deployed in the forward-most area of ‘Stan, the idea came that we could do some good for some guys who were a long way from home and in Harm’s Way.

Thanks to all of you who attended, those of you who donated items for our last minute auction, (Tommy Morrison, Graham Behan, Gary Cline and so many others), we raised over $4,000. I asked Eric for a list of necessities and he provided a list of items including a football, Red Bull, jerky and all types of other food items. I took pride in going to Sam’s Club and buying each item and then packing it up in USPS APO boxes, and then taking them to the post office for shipment. I did all of that on your behalf and I thank each and every one of you. We really appreciate what you helped us do.

I believe others stepped up and sent packages also. Thanks again.

(Of course the Air Force had to deliver them)

Being around since the early days, I’ve seen our group do some terrific things including showing our appreciation to those who built our engines, to commemorating the last ZR-1 off the line and then handing the NCM and ZR-1 Registry the proceeds. We kept the NCM open back in those days folks, and that is an accomplishment we can all be proud of.

Some of you noticed we longer host our welcoming BBQ. Maybe some day we can get back to having fun and rewarding times.

P.S. Hey ‘Stad. Just a hint: throw the green boxers away and get white ones….uh…on second thought…..

SGT jvd
USAF (ret)
[B]ZR-1 Registry Member #21[/B]
Pirate Racing
NCM Life Member #399

Last edited by Blue Flame Restorations; 11-07-2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Content which may disrupt the membership
vandornjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014   #6
phrogs

Congrats, I should have retired this year in May, but me and the US Marine Corps had a disagreement.

Currently own

90 ZR-1 #845 DRM 500 engine package

90 #226 Might be a parts car not sure yet
phrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014   #7
cvette98pacecar

JP, You should have read the fine print.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014   #8
Eric24

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogs View Post
Congrats, I should have retired this year in May, but me and the US Marine Corps had a disagreement.
I had the same run in with the Army, I tried to retire at 23 years and they said, "no"...I almost passed out! It all worked out for the best though, i got a little over 24 years in and it helps a little on my retirement pay..
Eric24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014   #9
gbrtng

biting my tongue and fuming ...
Old 11-10-2014   #10
vandornjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrtng View Post
biting my tongue and fuming ...
I shoulda known I'd get moderated for hangin out with them Army types....

Me thinks I'm the most moderated guy in ZR-1 history...
[B]ZR-1 Registry Member #21[/B]
Pirate Racing
NCM Life Member #399
vandornjim is offline   Reply With Quote