ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-29-2018   #1
Billy Mild

Default Shipping a Targa Top

Who has shipped a targa top before? Who did you ship it through? How much was it?
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018   #2
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Default Re: Shipping a Targa Top

It is much easier to break the top with a hammer before you ship it, rather than waiting for the shipper to do it.

I have ONLY had success using the packaging and material that Melrose or Thompson use when they ship you a replacement.

A windshield box with wood and corrugated is the best choice, however, I no longer ship either windshields or tops. Just too much risk.

Good Luck!

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018   #3
mike100

Ok- here's the way I have done it...buy an empty targa top box from Melrose T-top and pay whatever they ask for the empty box plus over-size dimensional penalties UPS gets you for. It will be $80-$100 probably (for an empty box). totally worth it.

I bought a C6 top from a guy in Missouri. paid for the empty box...sent it to him...paid for his top and the shipping again...arrived in perfect condition. the box is in my garage attic...too valuable to pitch in the recycling.

I won't get into the $800 fedex debacle with the top I had purchased before that...do not make your own box or trust the seller to do the same. the shippers will drop kick that top and knife edge it on the bumper or a curb. Melrose has been through this...drop the c-note on their box.

Last edited by mike100; 01-29-2018 at 11:14 PM.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018   #4
Mr Blue

I bought a top from TCurtner on this forum. It was shipped in a flat box, wrapped on bubble wrap and blocked with foam. I would check with a consumer electronics store and try to get a surplus big screen TV box or another large flat box and over pack the top. Mine came through fine, but can believe the horror stories. GOOD LUCK
Mr Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018   #5
Billy Mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
Ok- here's the way I have done it...buy an empty targa top box from Melrose T-top and pay whatever they ask for the empty box plus over-size dimensional penalties UPS gets you for. It will be $80-$100 probably (for an empty box). totally worth it.

I bought a C6 top from a guy in Missouri. paid for the empty box...sent it to him...paid for his top and the shipping again...arrived in perfect condition. the box is in my garage attic...too valuable to pitch in the recycling.

I won't get into the $800 fedex debacle with the top I had purchased before that...do not make your own box or trust the seller to do the same. the shippers will drop kick that top and knife edge it on the bumper or a curb. Melrose has been through this...drop the c-note on their box.
UPS wants to charge $250 to ship the top. That includes a box, packing materials, and actual shipping.
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018   #6
mike100

Lately I have noticed that UPS and fedex are out of their freakin' minds with their current rates...maybe you were getting priced at a privately owned 'UPS store' rather than getting a quote from a real distribution station...but either way, my friend and I were looking at becoming Amazon sellers to figure out how to ferry stuff through the white van and warehousing network they have.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote