ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-16-2017   #1
billschroeder5842

Default ZF fluid change time!

My trans is shifting harder than it should so I think a fluid change is in order--- the car has 70k on it and God knows how much on the fluid.

So, my research says that AMSOIL is a safe, dependable, no risk solution.

Can I change it in the driveway or is it just best to take it somewhere where there is a lift/pit and the disposal is the other guys problem?

I'm happy to spin the wrench and prefer to do my own work, but I'm old enough to weight risk/reward.

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017   #2
garyhugo

Default Re: ZF fluid change time!

You can do it. It helps a lot to have a second person to snake the funnel and hose you make down between the engine and firewall when refilling.I do it every 15,000 miles so it can't be too hard.
Old 03-16-2017   #3
Demps

Take out the fill plug first. I think it's a --mm BMW/vw tool at auto parts. Use a crescent wrench (or open end wrench) to get right up to fill/drain plug so as not to round off plug. Pipe fitting tape or thread sealant on install. Filling is a bear but the $5 hand pump at auto parts work great. 2.2qts.
Ted

Gary is correct below on size--deleted to not confuse anyone.

Last edited by Demps; 03-16-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017   #4
garyhugo

I believe it's 17MM allen for drain and fill. May want a couple new plugs handy if the old ones are messed up. A new small pipe wrench with sharp teeth will get the plugs out if there stripped. The pump for refilling is a good idea if by yourself.
Old 03-16-2017   #5
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by billschroeder5842 View Post

Can I change it in the driveway or is it just best to take it somewhere where there is a lift/pit and the disposal is the other guys problem?
IMO you would be better off having access to a lift rather than laying on your back trying to loosen those drain & fill plugs. They can be a real bear to say the least. And on your back it is really difficult to get them loose, especially after years of being in there. As mentioned above it would be good insurance to have the extra plugs before you start the job, or getting it done elsewhere. Check out the link below for the plug part #'s which are available at your local VW dealer and really priced well. Have fun!!!

http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27276

Another alternative tool to have for the plugs.....get yourself a 17mm 3/8" drive Allen socket to fit the plug.

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 03-16-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017   #6
Billy Mild

I didn't know you were supposed to use thread sealer on the plug. I will do this next time so it doesn't leak.
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017   #7
Jagdpanzer

Use some Permatex anti seize on the plug when reinstalling and shouldn't leak plus it will come out easier the next time. Snug it up good but don't over tighten.
George Braml Intake
Jagdpanzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017   #8
Bob Eyres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer View Post
Use some Permatex anti seize on the plug when reinstalling and shouldn't leak plus it will come out easier the next time. Snug it up good but don't over tighten.
That's the ticket

1991 ZR-1 White/Black #1236 (Owner since 1994).
Stock engine with bolt-ons: Hurst shifter,"Forced Air" intake, Coplon duct, Bee Cool Radiator, Demon coils, Jeal prom, Watson headers, X pipe, 3" B&B's, Rippie flywheel, 4:10 gears, A molds, Toyo Proxes-R888's 12.06@117mph. 1.76 60ft.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017   #9
billschroeder5842

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
As mentioned above it would be good insurance to have the extra plugs before you start the job, or getting it done elsewhere. Check out the link below for the plug part #'s which are available at your local VW dealer and really priced well.
Well, I have the only ONE in the entire Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex.

I called up the local VW guy and they said that the only one (one) and the shared computer said it was in McKinney Texas. While a good size town, McKinney in BFE compared to the rest of our urban sprawl.

But, I did not mind taking the road trip this afternoon as it was about 30 miles and I was able to have some fun with a C6 and a CTS. The Vettes clearly had the pulling power over the Caddy as we hit above the century marke more than a few times.

So, with one, I have to have a 50% success rate on the old plugs. I'll give it a shot this weekend a see what happens.

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017   #10
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by billschroeder5842 View Post
Well, I have the only ONE in the entire Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex.

I called up the local VW guy and they said that the only one (one) and the shared computer said it was in McKinney Texas. While a good size town, McKinney in BFE compared to the rest of our urban sprawl.

But, I did not mind taking the road trip this afternoon as it was about 30 miles and I was able to have some fun with a C6 and a CTS. The Vettes clearly had the pulling power over the Caddy as we hit above the century marke more than a few times.

So, with one, I have to have a 50% success rate on the old plugs. I'll give it a shot this weekend a see what happens.

Sounds like you had fun getting the only one!!!

I have extras, so if you want to hold off, or you get stuck getting both plugs out, PM me your address and will be glad to mail one down to you....

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote