ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-20-2018   #1
wutanec

Default New Owner of 90 in Cali! - Failed Smog :(

Hello,
I just picked up a 1990 ZR1!
Polo Green with around 78000 miles, saddle interior, and pretty much stock.
Originally California car but I got it from a gentleman in Iowa, had it shipped and received it this Monday.
Coming from BMW's, this is my first American car and a Corvette.
This car feels very special, fast, and comfortable. I can't believe how these things flew under my radar, I wish I knew about them much earlier.

And went to get smogged for the registration and that is where the fun stopped.
Attached is a copy of my report.

The smog guy, his opinion is that the car is in a really good running order and this is probably the best the car can do....He did tell me to run it hard on freeway for some miles and comeback and he will test again for free.

The car has new injectors, coil, and fuel filter
I think the car sat for a bit, could old gas result in poor test results?

How are you guys in California dealing with this awful test?
Any tips would be super appreciated.

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 92018_smog.jpg (170.2 KB, 86 views)
wutanec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018   #2
efnfast

Default Re: New Owner of 90 in Cali! - Failed Smog :(

I know my car would fail, but I also know they can be made to pass. Testing with the power key off will help. Stock exhaust?
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018   #3
Flyman 27

One of Mark Haibeck's smog chips could help a bit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16325588084...84.m1555.l2649

One of Mark's smog chips for $90 is a pretty good deal.
Fresh gas is a must I would assume.
My ZR-1 was from Southern California. The Previous Owner installed the smog chip for testing, then removed it.

91-#1935 Black/black & gray, Haibeck 500
Cams by Pete

Last edited by Flyman 27; 09-20-2018 at 06:52 AM.
Flyman 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018   #4
JFFerner

I've read somewhere on this site (Probably several years ago) that California emissions testing for ZR-1's can become confused with results required of other Corvettes. Be sure the testing is against standards set for a 1990 ZR-1.I don't remember the exact language stated and I'm not a Californian so take this with a grain of salt. Jim
JFFerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018   #5
KILLSHOTS

As was mentioned in an earlier post, did you test with the power key in FULL? When I first bought mine, it had only 15,500 miles and was 100% stock except for new injectors, plugs, coils, etc. It failed miserably (Arizona) and I was furious. Somebody mentioned the power key, so I returned for a re-test with it in NORMAL and the car passed with no issues. Good luck.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018   #6
wutanec

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
I know my car would fail, but I also know they can be made to pass. Testing with the power key off will help. Stock exhaust?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS View Post
As was mentioned in an earlier post, did you test with the power key in FULL? When I first bought mine, it had only 15,500 miles and was 100% stock except for new injectors, plugs, coils, etc. It failed miserably (Arizona) and I was furious. Somebody mentioned the power key, so I returned for a re-test with it in NORMAL and the car passed with no issues. Good luck.

I think the car has muffler delete but otherwise it is stock. Interesting how valet mode will help with the test. Next time, I will try with power key off.
Thanks for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman 27 View Post
One of Mark Haibeck's smog chips could help a bit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16325588084...84.m1555.l2649

One of Mark's smog chips for $90 is a pretty good deal.
Fresh gas is a must I would assume.
My ZR-1 was from Southern California. The Previous Owner installed the smog chip for testing, then removed it.
This is also really interesting. It would be my last resort if nothing helps. Thanks!

Last edited by wutanec; 09-20-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-20-2018   #7
WARP TEN

As noted, perhaps Marc Haibeck's chip would be a help. But even better, why not give him a call and talk about solutions with him? He is always glad to help and really knows more about these engines than almost anyone. I remember when we had testing in Illinois for our ZR-1s, I used to revert from one of Marc's performance chips to a stock chip for testing because it reinstated the CAGS 1 to 4 shift. That was needed in our dyno tests because a 1-2 shift would spike HC levels. The 1-4 skip shift avoided that. But we had to educate the testing tech on that CAGS feature or he would try to force it into 2nd.Then removed the chip afterward to get rid of the CAGS. Give Marc a call. Good luck--Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018   #8
wutanec

PASSED!

I cannot be happier right now! the car barely passed but I am glad it passed.
I ran the car hard on freeway for some miles, normal power mode, and fresh tank of gas.
I do worry about the next test but at least I can be safe for another two years.

It was interesting how the guy ran the dyno. He started in the second gear and tested on the third gear.

Thanks guys for all the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 092118_smog.jpg (154.0 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by wutanec; 09-21-2018 at 02:16 AM.
Old 09-21-2018   #9
Franke

I had a 1990 with only 55,000 miles on it and it failed NOx testing in Colorado. A guy on this site told me to change the front O2 sensors and that fixed it. O2 Sensors cost about 90 dollars.
The Chevy dealership wanted to change the cats for 4K.
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018   #10
Route 66

This is something you might try. And it wont cost much.
Get a bottle of Sea Foam [Most auto parts stores have it] siphon out the old gas put in the best high grade you have in your area. I would put in about 3/4 of a tank and add the can of Sea Foam. Put the Sea Foam in first so it will mix better. Go for a drive. Use your power key and open it up. Or if you want to see what has build up in your motor. Put some catch pans under both muffler weep holes.[weep hole will be at the lowest end of the muffler] With the power key on' run the RPM up a few times then let it idle for a while. [You might repeat the raising of the RPM a few times then idle it again.
A mechanic told me about Sea Foam. I have never cared much of engine additives but this one seem to work. The first time I used it was just after putting in new injectors. I let mine set in my shop and run for a while It left two black 6 inch carbon stains on my shop floor. I used it again a few days ago after getting my 405 HP working again. I now have a new set of stains.

California is a beautiful place to live I like it there but too dam many rules. It's not as pretty in the armpit of America but we have more freedom. Fast car's being one of them.
There are some good people on here that might have a better solution to your problem. This one worked for me.
Good luck with the inspection.
Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote