ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-10-2014   #11
secondchance

Default Re: Alternator question ! (PIC) Nut on back of alternator does not loosen !

When repaired get a replacement rubber boot Dynomite found. Pic shows original piece cried up and broken off.
http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread....lternator+boot
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014   #12
5ABI VT

Default Re: Alternator question ! (PIC) Nut on back of alternator does not loosen !

I got it all apart in about 5 minutes quite simple really. Jeff I'll pm about the springs/magnets I can picture what needs to be fine I think. Ill post up photos in a few minutes.

The bolt has a square on it but it wasn't Inside the casing far enough to prevent from turning. The insulator looks like it definitely needs replacing too. I also have questions in the magnet wear.. Something I could replace or would a rebuilt /new alt be a good idea ?

Pics coming .. And thx everyone for the input
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014   #13
5ABI VT

Opened up easily enough

Electrical contact cleaner or?? To clean up inside ?

Brushes .. Looking worn ?

Insulator I take it.

Bolt doesn't go inside far enough .. Odd .. Possible fail rebuild ?

Old 11-11-2014   #14
5ABI VT

I noticed a little fraying of the wire holding one of the brushes. Should it be ok to re-use or should i replace it?

Anyone have the alternator model number for a 94? I see online theres an early and late cs144 so Im not sure which parts to order for it.
Old 11-12-2014   #15
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
I noticed a little fraying of the wire holding one of the brushes. Should it be ok to re-use or should i replace it?

Anyone have the alternator model number for a 94? I see online theres an early and late cs144 so Im not sure which parts to order for it.
Just do your parts "local". GM 1975471 or an equivalent would be a correct terminal package, GM 1989702 for a brush holder if you wanted. If your alternator is original it should be cast 10479904, use that number when referencing any parts. The LT5 CS144 is the earlier model generally when referencing and in '90 there were internal differences for some also.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 11-12-2014 at 05:21 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014   #16
Z51JEFF

Why you have this apart you might want to blast the cases with walnut shells.If you do blast don't use anything that is abrasive,you just want to cut the corosion and dirt stains on the cases.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014   #17
-=Jeff=-

I bought my replacement rotor from here:
http://store.alternatorparts.com/gm-...ies-parts.aspx

I still need a regulator and rectifier for it.. I broke (one or both) when I tested it with a bad rotor
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - LT4 Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014   #18
5ABI VT

Thanks !! I'll look Into a brush kit and will look into replacing the entire alternator internals myself.

I contacted mechman alternators and they said they didn't make an alternator for the zr-1. Is the alternator different because of the housing /bracket vs other cs 144 alternators?
Old 11-12-2014   #19
5ABI VT

Spoke with a few manufacturers of billet alternators but they all say the same thing : looks like a std cs 144 but they don't list it for the zr-1.

Anyone know what the differences are? Is it the casing /mounting dimensions or I'm thinking possibly the pulley size ?

Here's a few photos I wanted to share and get input if possible

Cleaned up this part I forget the name but on YouTube they said to sand it lightly. Bearing is smooth and does say japan on it.

Someone enlightened me on Facebook that this piece looks too dark and should be replaced. I believe it's the stator ? I did google tons of pics and have seen lots if bright copper but a fair share of darker copper ones ??

Back housing with a new ground bolt and insulator

Pic of the old brush on the right. The alt shoppe I got the insulator from had a used looking brush holder with new magnets he gave me. I did swap it in last night and it wasn't difficult . I did order a new gm replacement my dealer will have it tomorrow.

Part number
Old 11-12-2014   #20
WVZR-1

The alternator certainly appears to be the original with the correct production number, a date code of 1083 (4/18/93), if you had no charging issues previously I don't believe I'd have any trouble using it "as is", the stator I don't believe is as great an issue as you've been told.

There are remans available and there are vendors that do higher amp units that are direct fit. Pulley swaps are required for some.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote