ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-28-2023   #11
billschroeder5842

Default Re: DeWitts "Direct Fit" seems too thick to fit- what am I missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
Did DeWitts agree that it was the wrong radiator?
I put up a thread on CF that has taken a bit of a twist since my initial questions. The founder of DeWitts radiator, Tom DeWitt jumped into the middle of discussion and said that due that "commercial available tubing is sold in inch" sizes rather than metric, the top hose connection is larger than our metric hoses, and they decided to erring on the side of a snug fit.

I've read that most people have had no problems for years with their hoses so I wonder if this is a recent modification due to supply chain?

I've seen that some people had no problem attaching their hoses on the top but I simply had a hell of a time. I have a set of silicone hoses from Jerry's (which have been perfect) and they couldn't (or I don't know how) be stretches enough to fit.

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023   #12
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by billschroeder5842 View Post
Thanks again- I'm sure they will do the right thing. DeWitts has a great reputation. I did some researching and they have several "OE Styles" that have very similar stock numbers so the warehouse have easily picked a Hi perf model when I requested a OE one. This isn't the first time or the last (I'm sure) that a part arrived different. Funny, parts for my C5 Z06 seem to arrive (on par) just as expected. Maybe our cars ARE getting old!

Craig- thanks for the photo and mine arrived without any instructions or extra bolts. Just an FYI...

I have to keep reminding myself that "this is part of the fun!"
Bill,

You are welcome and I am glad if the pics and info helped. It is too bad that DeWitts did something differently and too bad they can?t give you the correct radiator. Good news about the refund and I hope you find a good replacement without further issues.
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023   #13
billschroeder5842

**UPDATE**
I picked up my correct part number Delco radiator on Thursday and worked on it this morning. Everything lined up correctly, hoses fit, radiator "settled" in the cushions and the bolts all lined up. All done in a little over an hour.

I started the engine to do a quick check on leaks (non so far) and shut it off after about 5 minutes to let the Permatex set up over night on the thermostat housing.

Tomorrow, I take her out. There is something to be said about "keeping your GM car all GM parts."

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388

Old 03-05-2023   #14
ram_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by billschroeder5842 View Post
**UPDATE**
I picked up my correct part number Delco radiator on Thursday
Hi Bill, is that the 20681 part number that you referenced earlier? (It seemed like your previous post still had a question about that.)

Just storing this information for possible future reference as I also have a '91. Thanks.
ram_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023   #15
billschroeder5842

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_g View Post
Hi Bill, is that the 20681 part number that you referenced earlier?
Yep, that is correct. Everything checked out yesterday and I drove it to work this morning.

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388

Old 03-06-2023   #16
GOLDCYLON

That had to be the wrong radiator. I've had two of these installed and the hose connection issue was not an issue it was a direct fit. I upgraded to the Dewitt's spal fans and that gives you a lot more room over the stock shroud. GC
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 03-06-2023 at 05:01 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote