ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-25-2012   #1
Don in VT

Default R and R water pump and a set of Samco's

Hi All,

I am replacing the water pump and taking the opportunity to install a set of Samco hoses and T-Bolt clamps.

The OEM WP outlet hose to the thermostat housing had a spring inside and the webbing on the out side. For those of you that have done the same Samco install, did you use the spring and hose protective webbing. I saved the spring and I could put it in the Samco hose but the webbing is a mess because of a leaky oil cooler line.

If anyone has comments on the above situation please let me know.

BTW the OEM hose clamps are a bear to work with. I am going with T-Bolt clamps all the way.

Cheers,

Don in VT
Don in VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012   #2
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: R and R water pump and a set of Samco's

Don you do not need the spring or the webbing I have done this install. A word of warning as the short SAMCO hose is a Biotch.

First mate the small hose to radiator. Then to the seperated top of the thermostat housing then guide the housing cover back onto the housing using your strength and bolts to guide you. There is no other way its too damn small

Im not sure what the T-Clamps are but I hope you bought the SAMCO style clamps as they dont chew up the hoses.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012   #3
rhipsher

Also loosely install the big hose with the clamp on the water pump before you menuver it into place. Also make yourself a template out of cardboard by tracing the new gasket when your new pump arrives so as you remove each bolt out of the water pump put them in the template so you'll know where each bolt goes. Makes it quick and easy.

rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012   #4
GOLDCYLON

While the template idea works well if you have already removed the pump from the car I suggest just simply placing the bolts as you pull them out one at a time into the new pump and then you can transfer them to the old pump on the ground and reverse the proces....

While you are there you might want to consider a new Serp belt and a new thermostat. Just saying

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 04-25-2012   #5
Don in VT

Hi,

OK, no spring. No mesh covering. I used the template method because I can clean each bolt and just put it back. Working like a charm. I will take the tip on the short hose and do it that way. The T-Bolt clamps are what Samco recommends and I am using them 100%.

Another question, had anyone come up with a way to really seal the thermostat cover ? It looks like the gasket around the flange on the thermostat is not all that reliable. Just asking.

Thanks everyone

Don
Don in VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #6
VetteMed

I think the thermostat housing seal is pretty reliable, I haven't heard of too many folks having a leak there. Just a matter of having it positioned properly upon install.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012   #7
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteMed View Post
I think the thermostat housing seal is pretty reliable, I haven't heard of too many folks having a leak there. Just a matter of having it positioned properly upon install.

Concur I have never had a problem

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 04-26-2012   #8
Hammer

Talking Re: R and R water pump and a set of Samco's

A couple more tips:
  1. I used a little dielectric grease on the inside of each hose. They are a bitch to get on if you don't.
  2. Put the short hose on the radiator and then the t-stat base housing. Put the t-stat into the housing, make sure it is flush with the housing and then use a putty knife to keep pressure on the t-stat while placing the housing cover on it. Push on the housing cover just enough to be able to pull out the putty knife and put the bolts in . Works like a charm. This tip is compliments of Marc Haibeck at the West Gathering in '06.
  3. I put a little anti-seize on the two t-stat housing bolts and water pump bolts.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote