ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 NCRS for ZR-1s

Old 06-27-2019   #1
bowtiguy

Default NCRS Newbie

well, after getting the car back to its former glory mechanically/cosmetically....I've made the decision to submit my 91' (#1631) for NCRS flight judging. I purchased the judging manual and have been through it a couple of times along with read all the threads in "NCRS for ZR-1's" section. I plan to do a full electronics function test as soon as my Bose system returns from servicing.

Work completed so far...

-fuel system has been upgraded to withstand ethanol ( injectors/pumps/filter)
-all fluids have been replaced
-all gaskets,o-rings from the long block on up have been replaced.
-top end has been refinished ( original bolts retained)
-paint correction completed
-has original wheels ( valve stems, sensor, sensor stickers)
-Tires are date coded early 2000's and have plenty of tread @ 9,600 miles
-interior is liek factory new with top hold down strap.
-Bose Gold system is getting a complete rebuild as I write this.
-A/C to be recharged soon. still holds vac.
-ALL electronics work ( except the bose system for now)
-sport seats are 100% functional
-FX3 suspension 100% functional
-Jack, storage bag, spare have never been used.
-Build sheet/window stickers ordered form NCM. Under dash build sheet was shredded. Tank sticker still there.
-headlight motor gears have been replaced/upgraded.

My flight judging is set for August and I have a few questions for the veterans in the group.

1) how large of a fire extinguisher should be used and where can it be stored/mounted?

2) I'm a little fuzzy as to the center console content requirements. The only item included with the car was the top removal tool but I've been in touch with a fellow member that has some parts available.

3) How are driving points tabulated and do they effect the score significantly? I'll be towing the car enclosed from Denver.

I'm open to any other suggestions, pointers or comments. I feel the car is deserving of the judging process. I just want to make sure I present it as well as I can.

Thanks!

-=MIke
bowtiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019   #2
TucsonZR1

Default Re: NCRS Newbie

Mike, do not mount the fire extinguisher just have it with you. Driving points and non original tires are explained in the Judging Reference Manual. It’s available through the NCRS store. The tires are a standard deduction which means whether you have a 1953 or a 1993 the deduction is the same. Have a battery cutoff and a NCRS sticker these with the fire extinguisher are a free bonus 10 points. Have a Delco battery and Delco oil filter. I am the National Team Leader , if you need anything else email me or call. I’m in the Restorer.

Tom
TucsonZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019   #3
DRM500RUBYZR-1

The most important things...………..

1- Learn so much more about your car, as the judges will almost always share things with you that you likely never would have known.

2- RELAX, points are just points. Don't fret over 1-2 point deductions.

3- ENJOY IT! You will likely remember it for years to come, so make it many good memories, and make some new friends!

Best of Luck!
Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019   #4
bowtiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonZR1 View Post
Mike, do not mount the fire extinguisher just have it with you. Driving points and non original tires are explained in the Judging Reference Manual. It’s available through the NCRS store. The tires are a standard deduction which means whether you have a 1953 or a 1993 the deduction is the same. Have a battery cutoff and a NCRS sticker these with the fire extinguisher are a free bonus 10 points. Have a Delco battery and Delco oil filter. I am the National Team Leader , if you need anything else email me or call. I’m in the Restorer.

Tom
Thanks for the clarification on fire extinguisher etc...I plan to go over the judging manual page by page with the car in front of me over the 4th of july weekend to try an identify any areas that need help and make a list of any ?'s I may have.
Old 06-29-2019   #5
Mystic ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 View Post

1- Learn so much more about your car, as the judges will almost always share things with you that you likely never would have known.

3- ENJOY IT! You will likely remember it for years to come, so make it many good memories, and make some new friends!

Best of Luck!
Marty

and....
Don‘t forget to ask how many ZR-1s have obtained
Top Flight awards 😋

NO! I won‘t shut up about that...
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019   #6
bowtiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 View Post

Best of Luck!
Marty
Thanks Marty,

My plan is to prepare it the best I can and enjoy the experience. Doing the cosmetic top end refresh while I was upgrading the fuel system has taught me a lot about the car already.

Forget undervalued, I think these cars are just under appreciated! everyone thats ridden in the car is amazed....and it s stock......for now.
Old 07-01-2019   #7
Mystic ZR-1

Let us know what they thought
of the top end refinish.
That‘s the only thing I can‘t undo to get
back to where my car was when I went thru
the process.
In spite of my concerns with NCRS‘s (arrogant, Head Judging Chairman)
information policies, the Top Flight experience was a positive
one. The judges (especially Tom Barr) were fair and knowledgeable!!!
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019   #8
bowtiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
Let us know what they thought
of the top end refinish.
That‘s the only thing I can‘t undo to get
back to where my car was when I went thru
the process.
In spite of my concerns with NCRS‘s (arrogant, Head Judging Chairman)
information policies, the Top Flight experience was a positive
one. The judges (especially Tom Barr) were fair and knowledgeable!!!
Will do, I really wanted to go with a powder coated - brighter finish w/ SS fasteners (ala Marc H.) but I figured Jerrys paint was a good compromise. If it wasnt for the bad oil cooler line crimp, the O.E. finish would have never seen the cleaner that discolored my factory finish. Id say my current finish is nicer than most O.E. finish's but not overly restored. Maybe "slightly" over restored.

I was able to remove all the factory torx fasteners w/o a problem. Cleaning, running through a die, coating with a rust prevention coating and loctite ( where applicable) took some time. But what part of this project didnt.

still looking for a factory replacement lower air dam ( spoiler) assembly. mine IS original but a little rough around the edges.
Old 07-02-2019   #9
Joelbbvette

I would suggest to start at a chapter meet if possible. Some chapters have better ZR-1 folks than others. Try to get at least the AC Delco replacement parts - Black Oil Filter, Air Filter and battery. You will still take a hit but it will be less. As for tires make certain they are the same size, I would recommend Goodyears F1s if at all possible. I will have a set of Goodyear Gatorbacks available after Nationals but they are mounted on 90 rims at present. Make certain all options work, seat bladders, cassette, CD, etc. as operations are the easy points to get. The Performance Verification is another thing entirely but one step at a time.

You do NOT need a Pizza box for judging and only one top gets judged. Original parts with a little wear and tear do better than perfect new parts that are not correct (you mentioned SS fasteners). I can make some other recommendations if you are interested, let me know. BTW, I am going after my Dave McClellan Award at Nationals in two weeks. I have a Dave Hill Award for my 94 Copper Convertible so this is the second car to attempt it.

Present Collection
1969 350/300 AC Convertible
1972 454 Coupe 2nd Owner
1988 KOH EX5006 - ZR-1 Prototype
1990 ZR-1 #277 NCRS Dave McLellan Award 2019
1994 Copper Convertible NCRS Dave Hill Award 2012
2001 Z06 122k miles

Joelbbvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019   #10
jrd1990zr1

NCRS used to have the judging sheets on their website. If they are still there donload a set and use them as you go through the manual. The biggest point hits are in Operations. As Joel mentioned above make sure everything works as described in the NCRS manual.

Your best bet is to go to a Chapter level or Regional meet. The level of expertise at a Chapter level is highly variable. Regional would offer a higher level of competence. As Mystic mentioned above there are very competent judges and there are also some arrogant know-it-alls. Take your car to the meet, get your judging sheets back and decide which items, if any, are worth fixing for your next attempt.

Lastly, after your car is judged, make sure it gets into the NCRS database.
It is the meet judgiing chairman's responsibility to get the information to the National organization. Some times this does not happen and the National Organization will not acknowledge your flight award. This happened to me in 2010 and after a lot of finger pointing as to who was to blame (no one would accept responsibility), I had to start all over again.

Good luck and as Marty said, enjoy.

John

1968 convertible Lemans Blue,
1986 coupe Medium Blue NCRS Top Flight (sold),
1990 ZR1 #2529 Red NCRS Regional and National Top Flight (sold),
1990 ZR1 #2124 Charcoal Metallic NCRS Top Flight 2010 & 2018,
2003 Anniversary Red Convertible (sold)

Last edited by jrd1990zr1; 07-07-2019 at 11:05 PM.
jrd1990zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote