ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Club Regional Areas > Japan

Old 01-12-2015   #1
zig

Default Getting a ZR-1 to Japan

HAWAIIZR-1 - I am retired Navy and contemplating a civilian job in Yokosuka. I was stationed there in the late 90's so know about the vehicle taxes and registration hurdles ever year but never looked into getting a car there. I should probably be worried about schools and housing but need to know how you got your ZR-1 over there. Were there any modifications required? I have a completely stock 91 ZR-1 with 21K miles and don't want to have to modify anything I can't put back to original when I return. I also have a 91 Z28 and 96 Corvette Collector Edition Conv but if I have read correctly, there is a two car maximum per family so they will need to stay in storage. Any information you can provide on how you got it there and what needed to be modified would be much appreciated.
1991 ZR-1 #85, 21,000 miles
1991 Z28, L98, 62,000 miles
1996 Collector Edition Convertible, 87,000 miles
zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015   #2
Z06scentair

Default Re: Getting a ZR-1 to Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig View Post
HAWAIIZR-1 - I am retired Navy and contemplating a civilian job in Yokosuka. I was stationed there in the late 90's so know about the vehicle taxes and registration hurdles ever year but never looked into getting a car there. I should probably be worried about schools and housing but need to know how you got your ZR-1 over there. Were there any modifications required? I have a completely stock 91 ZR-1 with 21K miles and don't want to have to modify anything I can't put back to original when I return. I also have a 91 Z28 and 96 Corvette Collector Edition Conv but if I have read correctly, there is a two car maximum per family so they will need to stay in storage. Any information you can provide on how you got it there and what needed to be modified would be much appreciated.
I travel to Tokyo frequent, let me make some calls tomorrow night to see what is required.

Housing with parking will most likely be the largest hurdle.
Z06scentair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015   #3
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Hello,
I was notified that my PM was full so it has been cleared out. This stuff is very complicated and I will glad to let you know what I found out while there. The good thing is your car is stock so you have better chances of passing Japan emissions that I did. I'm not sure it is worth it for you to do so and it might be better discuss by phone and I can also point you to: japanbases.com where you can register and get a lot of information from there too. The problem is you will barely get a straight answer or correct information as I found and too many situations are different for every person. The bottom line up front is the who ordeal is very expensive with just emission testing that will cost you a few thousand by itself. I pissed away $2600 for emissions testing and never even got my car pass or registered. There are "gas tickets" that can be bought it you can find them for your year car that dealers used to get imports through the system and you will still pay the fee, but not have to test the car as the ticket certifies the car passed in 1991. Sounds stupid and complicated, stand by there is more. It will cost over $5,000 when all said and done, and that depends on the yen/US dollar rate. Right now the yen/US is on your side and the fee to test the 1991 Corvette is 191,000 yen which is about $1,600 US today.

As for all the items you will have to convert to pass the Land and Transportation Office inspection will vary on where you go to inspect it and if assigned in the Yokosuka area. I was near there in Yokohama. Too difficult to explain about the turn signals and brake light with side marker fender light. You can actually tape them to you car with wires hanging until after the inspection. I told you it gets crazy and it depends on where you go and who you get to inspect....there is no standard.

Basically the system is designed to keep import cars out of country. I am assuming you are going there as a DOD Civilian working for the Navy or as a Contractor? Not sure about the Navy, but I had to ask permission to bring the car into country and have it approved by the Transportation Officer for the Army at Camp Zama. I had to justify bring the car and why as well as the condition and how it would not be a liability to the US government as well as an agreement to junk the car at my own expense. Then it depends if you live on post or off, but you need parking permits by the local police and they will ensure you can park it off the street on your leased property.

Sorry, I gotta run and study so that is enough for now to give you some background of the issues. I would like to go back in a few years after 2 years stabilization in the US. The Z will be sold or parted out before I can do so. I won't try to take it back again.
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015   #4
HAWAIIZR-1

I forgot to mention another option with pros and cons. All I did for 3 years was temp tags (only good for 3 days at a time) for 750 yen. I had to buy liability insurance (that sucked as no collision coverage for any car over 10 years old). I did not drive my car but a few times a month if that for touring and cars shows, etc. so it worked out and I should have never tried to pass emissions and register it from the start. The down side is driving around with that plate that looks like a diver's symbol and every knows the car is broken or has issues with being registered. All the photos of my car in Japan will show that plate on it. The other issue was being limited to 3 days and the time it too to go get the plates and turn in back in every time I wanted to drive it.

Old 01-14-2015   #5
zig

First, thanks you both for answering. What an ordeal. You are correct. Navy Gov Civilian if I go and would either get housing on base or rent one out in town. Either way, I would have a parking spot for it. I am familiar with the Japanese "system." Met my wife over there and it was just a bunch of red tape to get all her paperwork and visa squared away. I had heard $3000 to get a US car through the process. Not sure I want to puke the $5000 you mention though. We also had a car over there. Even an older Japanese car is a pain in the butt to get inspected and JCI every year. The side marker lights are a deal breaker though. No way I can mount them to the car. And if I take it, no way I could not drive it regularly. I already travel and the second thing I do after kissing the wife is take the Z out.

Thanks again for the information. Good luck on whatever you are studying for.
1991 ZR-1 #85, 21,000 miles
1991 Z28, L98, 62,000 miles
1996 Collector Edition Convertible, 87,000 miles
zig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015   #6
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
First, thanks you both for answering. What an ordeal. You are correct. Navy Gov Civilian if I go and would either get housing on base or rent one out in town. Either way, I would have a parking spot for it. I am familiar with the Japanese "system." Met my wife over there and it was just a bunch of red tape to get all her paperwork and visa squared away. I had heard $3000 to get a US car through the process. Not sure I want to puke the $5000 you mention though. We also had a car over there. Even an older Japanese car is a pain in the butt to get inspected and JCI every year. The side marker lights are a deal breaker though. No way I can mount them to the car. And if I take it, no way I could not drive it regularly. I already travel and the second thing I do after kissing the wife is take the Z out.

Thanks again for the information. Good luck on whatever you are studying for.
You're welcome. As I mentioned, when I researched this and went through the process I found there were so many different ways that people got through and no to follow. I understand about the VISA and went through that myself from Hawaii before going to Japan and what a pain. As I mentioned, one of the US guys took his US Honda Accord through and said he taped some cheap side markers on the fenders and got pass then took them off. I can't even believe they allow that and what is the purpose if they know you will remove them after the inspection. Not sure about the amber turn signals, but I was good to go with my euro lamps.

I was trying to send you this information in a word document, but this site does not allow it over a certain size or type. This came from a Navy guy at Yokosuka and posted on www.japanbases.com:

Attached is the process of shipping a vehicle to japan and getting it registered, i hope this helps.
HOW TO REGISTER A IMPORT CAR IN JAPAN

NOTE: If you bring a vehicle to Japan, expect to pay between $5,000 - $7,000 to get it plated, which includes insurance, and this process normally takes about 2 months to complete.

1. If you are an E-4 and below or civilian equivalent you must have an approved request form (CFAY-4651/2) from your CO and CFAY Security Officer. An approved command request chit from their respective CO’s. The request chit must state number of dependents.

2. Attend the orientation for 1 week and take the driving test on Friday to obtain a driver’s license from the license office. Make sure you study, it’s easy to fail.

3. Obtain Customs form (380EJ) from the FISC personnel property office (tel: 243-6322). This takes about two days to get.

*If the vehicle was manufactured after April 1976, you have to get an emission test in the Tokyo Emissions office, approximate cost is 200,000 yen ($2,000), it cost me 210,000 yen. Contact JATA (tel: 0425-44-1004) to have them fax you an application form. After step #5, take the car to the emission test facility. Prior to dropping the vehicle off at the Emission Test office, you must have the vehicle weighted at a weight station and make sure the vehicle has a full tank of gas, and remove the spare tire. There is a weight station a couple of street from the emission test office. To drive from Yokosuka to Yokota takes approximately 2.5 hrs, but it’s only 40 miles. The emission office does not speak clear English on the phone, but the customer service representative on location speaks enough to communicate. You will have to pay when you drop the vehicle off. The emission test take two day, so plan to stay at Yokota AB ($49 per night) or have means to come back to Yokosuka. Yokota AB has the best map for traveling, if you need a copy let me know.

4. Obtain Japanese Compulsory Insurance (JCI) from AIU on Yokosuka for more than 37 months and Liability insurance for a minimum of 1 year. With the registration process taking more than 2 months, you will probably have to add more insurance to your policy, CFAY requires 1 year when you go to LTO.

5. Take the customs form 380EJ, your ID card and the insurance to Yokosuka City Hall, on the first floor, window #15, and fill out the small form and pay 750 yen (about $7) to get temporary license plates, which is only good for 5 days, to include weekends and holidays, so don’t get the plates on a Friday or Japanese holiday. If you need a temporary gate pass, then take the paperwork from City Hall, the insurance and your ID card to VRO.

6. Take the National Agency of Vehicle Inspection (NAVI) application form that you will get from VRO, the original certificate of emissions testing (if applicable) and a copy of the customs form (380EJ) along with the other requirements (see attachment of “Requirements of application documents for imported vehicles”) to LTO in Yoho Hama (second floor of building #2) for pre-inspection. (You can hire someone to do this for you by looking in the classified ads for LTO run, it cost approximately $50 for this task and well worth it). The vehicle does not need to go to LTO at this time. (Note: Make sure you keep a clear copy of the certificate of emissions test, you’ll need it)

7. You must mail the following documents to the Recycle center and pay the recycling fee before proceeding; this fee cost me $320 depending on the yen rate. Application form (get from VRO), copy of the customs form (380EJ), copy of the NAVI application stamped by LTO and a copy of the emissions test. It takes about two weeks to get a response, have it mailed to your local address. Once you get the paperwork back from the Recycle center, you have to pay the cost at the local Post Office and wait another week for the receipt to come back before proceeding. (It’s best to take to license plates off the vehicle while waiting for step #7). The recycle fee depends on the type of vehicle, I paid about $220 for this process.

8. Obtain a parking certificate (see How to obtain a parking certificate) and see step #10.

9. Go to NEX maintenance garage and get a safety inspection. It’s best to have converted your vehicle to Japanese specification if you know what needs to be done. If not, find another vehicle like yours that is plated, or go to the dealer and look at one there. Normally, the requirements will be; amber turn signals, side marker turn signals (unless they are in the mirror) a back up light, a blind spot auxiliary mirror and if an SUV, make sure the tires do not extend beyond the fenders.

10. Go to the local Police station with the paperwork for the Parking Certificate and pay around 2,600 yen for this process, VRO forgets to tell you to do this until the last minute, but you can do this near the end, the parking certificate paperwork is only good for 30 days so you need to be getting ready to go to LTO when you do this. You will need to fill out an application at the police station and you should have the length, width and height of your vehicle in centimeters. Do this task prior to going to VRO for final paperwork, like the day before.

11. Once you have the NEX inspection (passed), the recycle receipt, the customs form (380EJ), insurance (and since it took so long, you may have to pay and add a couple of months on your insurance) and all other supporting documents above, take them to VRO to obtain registration paperwork for your final trip to LTO. You must bring this paperwork yourself, or your spouse must have Power of Attorney. NOTE: The LTO run with the vehicle can be done by the same person who did the LTO run paperwork. They will have to drive your vehicle. The LTO run had minor problems, they wanted a mirror mounted on the right front fender, we borrowed one from another LTO runner and got the vehicle through. It cost $456, again depending on the yen rate for this process.

12. You or the LTO runner will take the vehicle to Yokohama LTO and all paperwork for final inspection and issues of License plates.

13. Once they return with “E” plates on the vehicle, return to Yokosuka City Hall and return the temporary license plates (window #15)

14. Go back to VRO to obtain a permanent on base entry decal.

15. You’re Done, it should only take about 2 months to complete the above task, in the mean time have some other means of transportation. I recommend buying a cheap car off the lemon lot next to the commissary to get around in, or use as a second car for the family. You can only have one vehicle per license driver in the household, and a motorcycle counts as a vehicle.

16. None of this includes toll that you have to pay to travel on the Yoko Yoko toll road. Driving to emissions, near Yokota AB, it cost $13 one way.

Old 02-22-2015   #7
phrogs

I thought JCI was good for two years??

Did it change?

I took a corvette through JCI pm me and I'll post my nightmare they were a huge pain in my butt. And my car had been imported by Japanese man when new. So all I had to do was the safety inspection and smog. Still had to modify my car to make it through inspection the. Remove those items after inspection. Of course I was in okiniawa and its a damn craps game taking any car through JCI its a huge scam as far as I'm concerned! But you can get cheap cars all the time on base. I wouldn't take my ZR-1 over if I went back. I'd find something in country already.

Currently own

90 ZR-1 #845 DRM 500 engine package

90 #226 Might be a parts car not sure yet

Last edited by phrogs; 02-22-2015 at 11:44 PM.
phrogs is offline   Reply With Quote