ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-10-2017   #21
edram454

Default Re: New member, former C5 Z06 owner, considering a ZR-1

well it is a interesting topic. I like both cars and owned both. still own one of them. at one time I owned both at the same time. performance wise, no contest. I had a modded zr1 pumping over 400 rwhp. I bought it because of the mods. the only thing it did not have were the heads ported. It had everything else, fidanza, siamese ported plenum and housing, long tube headers, ported throttle body etc.. on and on.... it did have stock gears. It pulled hard and long. the z06 makes 471 rwhp on dynojet. it flies. feels tight like a track car. very quiet as far as rattles but also has a corsa like my zr1 did. zr1 had a nastier sound probably because I kept the back window open to hear it even more. there is no race between them. easy victory for the z06. more power. less weight. same with handling. I still love the zr1 because of the history and its unique look. I do feel that they are not the best investment. People are scared of them because of the rarity of them. scarcity of parts etc... Unfortunately i do not live close to either corey or Mark and that puts me in lala land as far as this car. Nobody knows how to properly work on the lt5 in Florida and I dont want to experiment. I am not close to wazoo or the fbi guys...I am a guy far away from all those people. I have a club member friend who bought a mint 1992 zr1 with 5 k miles and he wont drive it because of fear it might break and he doesnt have a clue were to take it. a few local shops have told him no.

You live in texas so you are ok. the zr1 makes one feel tucked in because the seats are tight the the car has girth. I dont like the rattles of the zr1 from the 26 year old plastic pieces in the interior and the top and etc... the z06 is very tight. For me, I am happier with my z06. I am in the process of buying a lsx 102 intake and a 102 throttle body and expect my power output to increase by 20 horse with a natural aspirated car is not too bad. The stock zr1 makes around 330-340 rwhp stock. Some people find that adequate and some people find that very slow. I drove a stocker and obviously my modded and a friends modded zr1 and the difference is night and day. My buddies zr1 made 436 to the wheels with extensive head porting as well. I wish you the best with your zr1 selection. The one you have to please is yourself. This is just obviously a personal opinion which we are all entitled too.

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017   #22
Kevin

Considering I beat an 01 z06 in my stock 90 I'm going to say you're wrong ed. The z06 isn't the be all end all of corvette performance. It's an ugly car with a crap interior that gets beat by a base c6
Old 03-10-2017   #23
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Considering I beat an 01 z06 in my stock 90 I'm going to say you're wrong ed. The z06 isn't the be all end all of corvette performance. It's an ugly car with a crap interior that gets beat by a base c6
Don't sugarcoat it; Tell us how you really feel!

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017   #24
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 View Post
Don't sugarcoat it; Tell us how you really feel!

Marty
I would, but we have language filters
Old 03-10-2017   #25
Performawheels

I started typing the stats from my September 2001 Corvette Fever and got tired, so I just Google'd it and found a link to the ZR-1 vs Z06 article from back in the day.....anyways- OP, good luck in your search.

http://www.superchevy.com/features/5...-z06-shootout/
Performawheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017   #26
1991KOTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
well it is a interesting topic. I like both cars and owned both. still own one of them. at one time I owned both at the same time. performance wise, no contest. I had a modded zr1 pumping over 400 rwhp. I bought it because of the mods. the only thing it did not have were the heads ported. It had everything else, fidanza, siamese ported plenum and housing, long tube headers, ported throttle body etc.. on and on.... it did have stock gears. It pulled hard and long. the z06 makes 471 rwhp on dynojet. it flies. feels tight like a track car. very quiet as far as rattles but also has a corsa like my zr1 did. zr1 had a nastier sound probably because I kept the back window open to hear it even more. there is no race between them. easy victory for the z06. more power. less weight. same with handling. I still love the zr1 because of the history and its unique look. I do feel that they are not the best investment. People are scared of them because of the rarity of them. scarcity of parts etc... Unfortunately i do not live close to either corey or Mark and that puts me in lala land as far as this car. Nobody knows how to properly work on the lt5 in Florida and I dont want to experiment. I am not close to wazoo or the fbi guys...I am a guy far away from all those people. I have a club member friend who bought a mint 1992 zr1 with 5 k miles and he wont drive it because of fear it might break and he doesnt have a clue were to take it. a few local shops have told him no.

You live in texas so you are ok. the zr1 makes one feel tucked in because the seats are tight the the car has girth. I dont like the rattles of the zr1 from the 26 year old plastic pieces in the interior and the top and etc... the z06 is very tight. For me, I am happier with my z06. I am in the process of buying a lsx 102 intake and a 102 throttle body and expect my power output to increase by 20 horse with a natural aspirated car is not too bad. The stock zr1 makes around 330-340 rwhp stock. Some people find that adequate and some people find that very slow. I drove a stocker and obviously my modded and a friends modded zr1 and the difference is night and day. My buddies zr1 made 436 to the wheels with extensive head porting as well. I wish you the best with your zr1 selection. The one you have to please is yourself. This is just obviously a personal opinion which we are all entitled too.

It is sure as hell a better investment than a z06 in the long run. Put money on that.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1991KOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017   #27
5ABI VT

Quote:

Performance wise no Contest but youre stating it has 71 more rwhp and likely more torque, and is lighter too. I Would love to see your c5z vs a 440ci LT5 though. Now that would be fair eh

But in fairness if you are not doing your own work... I agree with you that its a losing proposition to have a zr1 and to maintain it cost effectively. If I didnt do everything on mine... trust me I wouldnt have a zr-1 in the garage. Its also one of the reasons the first thing I did was eliminate the secondaries. Besides the complex vaccum maze system and multiple potential points of failure it was a simple elimination choice for me. As well as plugging the injector housings for coolant. Now my LT5 is easier to maintain than my LT1 ever was. But if there were to be any engine damage.... it becomes a whole different ballgame I guess. For me Ive accepted that if I can hurt my LT5... It will come apart and cost a pretty penny to go back in but it will be worth it for me and thats all that matters because a built LT5 is #endgame
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017   #28
edram454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
pretty rough comments coming from you. to bad you are not in south florida. I would bet BIG money in a race with you. you have no idea what you are talking about.

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017   #29
Kevin

Quote:
pretty rough comments coming from you. to bad you are not in south florida. I would bet BIG money in a race with you. you have no idea what you are talking about.
I actually have every idea what I'm talking about. Though I'm not sure what your "coming from you" comment meant. Though it doesn't really matter, I shouldn't have posted my comment. I was in s bad mood and went off on you. That was not the right thing to do and I apologize
Old 03-11-2017   #30
Hog

I want to inject some fact, that the GEN III SBC was first released in the Corvette(Y-body) in 1997 with the LS1. The 2nd usage of the GEN III SBC was in 1998 in the Camaro/Firebird(F-body). Both the Y and F body cars use the aluminum block and aluminum heads which comes with RPO LS1.
The LS1 then was uprated for MY 2001. Horsepower is increased from 345 @ 5,600 rpm to 350 @ 5,600 rpm. Torque increases from 350lb/ft @ 4,400 rpm to 360lb/ft @ 4,400 rpm. (375lb/ft for manuals) compression was 10.1:1.

The 5.7 LS6 was introduced for MY2001 at 385hp@6000rpm/385lb/ft@4800rpm, compression was 10.5:1. The changes from LS1 to LS6 involved different blocks all the way up through the cylinder heads. It was far from an LS1 with different heads. Even the injectors were changed from 3.3 g/sec(26.2 lb/hr) to 3.6 grams/sec(28.6 lb/hr). A new intake manifold was designed for LS6, to cut costs, it was introduced on 2001+ LS1's as well on both the Y and F body cars. It accounted for a 5hp and 5 lb/ft on its own.
Then for MT 2002 the LS6 was uprated +20hp and +15 lb/ft torque to 405hp@6000rpm/400lb/ft torque@4000rpm.

The first time a GEN III SBC was ever used in a truck was for 1999, for the 255hp@5200rpm/285lb/ft torque @ 4000rpm 4.8L LR4, 265hp @5000rpm/320lb/ft torque @ 4000rpm5.3 LM7 in iron block/aluminum head configuration, and in the 3/4 ton truck came the 300hp @4800rpm/355 lb/ft torque @ 4000rpm 6.0 LQ4 which was an iron block/iron head configuration.

The GEN III SBC was in production for two full model years prior to the truck seeing the new engine. The GEN-III SBC was not designed from a truck engine.

The 255hp@4600rpm/330lb/ft torque@2800rpm Vortec 350 L31 continued on in 3/4 ton trucks through MY1999, in the SUV's through MY2000 and in the fullsize vans through MY2002. In Mexico you could get the Vortec 350 through MY2010. In marine form it was available through 2013.

The 2004 ZO6 was a quick beast. Its suspension and tires allowed for bone stock 11 second 1/4 mile passes.

Run #1
1.98 60-foot 12.29 at 117.03mph
Hotlapped run #2
1.96 60-foot 12.16 at 117.84mph
Run #3
1.94 sixty 12.03 at 117.83mph
Run #4
2.06 60-foot 12.21 ET at 117.73
Run #5
1.90 60-foot 1/8th mile 7.80 at 94mph. 11.97 at 118.80mph

OEM 2004 ZO6, right down to the stock air filter
http://www.superchevy.com/features/0...vette-feature/

So much of acceleration run tests, esp. street encounters will be decided by the drivers skill. A good driver may beat a bad driver, even if the bad driver has a 200hp advantage. If you really want to know whats quicker or faster, go to the drags and get those performance characteristics on paper.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote