ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 03-11-2017   #31
rush91

Default Re: New member, former C5 Z06 owner, considering a ZR-1

One thing I have learned, is you can't compare different generation cars. You just can't. If GM would of continued the LT5 program into the C5, our C4 LT5s would be looked at as the beginning. The C5 LT5s would be more refined, more efficient and better performers. But we know history and that wasn't the case.....So for me when I see debates about this, it makes no sense. A stock C4 ZR-1 will smoke any factory Vette ( or any factory car made ) before 1989. A stock base C5 will beat any stock ZR-1, except in top speed maybe.....A stock C6 will probably hang with a C5 ZO6 in a drag. Its called learning from previous Gens and making improvements. If it wasn't for the ZR-1 program, we would be having these debates. The Corvette performance wouldn't be know as it is now as world beating...
All I see is the crowd that forms around my Beast first, when I'm out cruising with other Vettes and not the 3 other ZO6s or the C7 Grand sports.......Is that what I think it is? Or holy **** I've never seen one....I bet it runs like a bat out of hell.
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017   #32
edram454

excellent information. you are correct on all counts. Nothing wrong with a zr1 4 cam. engine is best thing about it period. a real work horse and as stable as they come. Unfortunately, technology will eventually win in the end. It took me a while to accept the fact that the ls platform was here to stay. they make power, cheaply!! lots of it. I can buy a 376 ls3 crate motor pushing 525 horsepower for 6500!!! new. I can buy a supercharger for 5400 and push over 600 rwhp!!! then again, when will i ever use that? My only comment was to the gentleman considering a zr1 is to buy modded if he wants to be relevent and not get killed at every stop light buy mustangs....camaros.... late model vettes... challengers.....330-340 horse wont get it done any more. In the day, KOTH..today court jester unless modded.

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017   #33
edram454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I actually have every idea what I'm talking about. Though I'm not sure what your "coming from you" comment meant. Though it doesn't really matter, I shouldn't have posted my comment. I was in s bad mood and went off on you. That was not the right thing to do and I apologize
I said coming from you was that I was surprised at your rough comment. I have always known you to be kind and fair to all forum members. I respect you as a moderator and that is what surprised me from your comment. We all have bad days and I fully understand. You dont have to apologize for anything. I wish I didnt have to sell my zr1 but it just didnt fit in my future plans because of maintenance. I think I am in the position to make a comment and have an opinion since I owned both and drove them at the same times. I was able to compare the two cars and come to an assessment.

In the end, I do cheer for the zr1 whenever it makes the news or wins something. I do migrate right to one if I see one in a show. I know all the upsides to the car but also know some of the downsides to owning one. This forum is a very positive support system for these cars. Without this site, the car would be a goner!! If you want to see the zr1 I sold check out ebay. I understand the dealer that bought it is posting it up for 27000! He paid 10 grand less to obtain it and has done nothing to it. It wont bring the money. Tell me how I know!

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017   #34
Patriot Dude

This has certainty turned into a lively debate that I never intended but great info on both cars has been shared. I do not expect the ZR-1 to be better in a lots of ways, such as structural rigidity or interior quality (though the Z06 does not excel here) it seems like much of the emphasis is being put on drag racing and stoplight drags, and in that case an AWD Subaru can be a formidable foe but they don't carry much history or mystique. Hopefully I can get a chance to check out a ZR1 and see if it's something I would cherish, I am capable of plenty of mechanical work if I have a good service manual, at the same time I don't want to be paying to rebuild an LT5, or any other engine for that matter. It is highly unlikely that would happen anyways, I'm not looking to push the limits here and I know the LT5 is supposed to be extremely robust. I remember having limited tire options with the Z06, I have a feeling the ZR1 is much worse.
Patriot Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017   #35
HAWAIIZR-1

To the OP, Proof of concept is the former members/owners that keep coming back here after they sell their cars. I loved my SVT Lightning truck and there is nothing like it, but I don't hang around their forums still wishing and dreaming. Find someone in your area from here and they will let you drive or ride in one to solidify your decision. There is nothing like the C4 ZR-1. Best wishes.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017   #36
Racinfan83

Quote:
I remember having limited tire options with the Z06, I have a feeling the ZR1 is much worse.
You are correct on that one. Very limited - though available. I bought a full set of stock sized Nitto 555's shipped to me for less then $600. There are more expensive options and even some Sumitomos that are less. There are other wheel options if you want to go that way that get you into a more obtainable tire size as well. Don't let tires deter you.
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017   #37
5ABI VT

Talking Re: New member, former C5 Z06 owner, considering a ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
excellent information. you are correct on all counts. Nothing wrong with a zr1 4 cam. engine is best thing about it period. a real work horse and as stable as they come. Unfortunately, technology will eventually win in the end. It took me a while to accept the fact that the ls platform was here to stay. they make power, cheaply!! lots of it. I can buy a 376 ls3 crate motor pushing 525 horsepower for 6500!!! new. I can buy a supercharger for 5400 and push over 600 rwhp!!! then again, when will i ever use that? My only comment was to the gentleman considering a zr1 is to buy modded if he wants to be relevent and not get killed at every stop light buy mustangs....camaros.... late model vettes... challengers.....330-340 horse wont get it done any more. In the day, KOTH..today court jester unless modded.
Just making a counterpoint and sharing my thoughts and not trying to argue with you specifically. While the engine is the best part of the ZR-1 for some people like me the exterior styling and width of the body is also the best part. I had always dreamt of modifying and putting on wide wheels which the z swallows with ease and a lowered c4 exterior to me is far prettier than the c5 Zo6.
You are also correct technology will win in the end. That is why GM is rumored to be making another DOHC LT5. If you ask me it's been a dark age of farm tractor technology since 1995. The appeal was always dohc for me.. and when I was buying my z technology did win in the end
The LS platform does make power cheaply but being relevant in terms of performance hardly deters anyone from wanting 60s/70s and soon 80s musclecars (and 90s a time after). With resto mods becoming the norm it's proof people will want beautiful and significant cars and many will just modify them to the performance they would like. Sure the Lt5 is expensive to build but how cool is that that in the future nearly NOONE will swap an LT5 out of a ZR-1 ? They can make over 700 hp NA, and look like nothing else out there. Why would anyone want to ? They won't. I have minor work on mine and it runs relevant enough. I put 3 car lengths on a brand new gt350 mustang belonging to a co worker. Not bad for a 90s supercar vs a $90k cdn 526 hp high rpm voodoo V8 with the gimmicky 'flat plane crank' that has so caught the interest of its fan base. The gt350 is quite relevant today and is an example where it's special features are valued over peak power, dyno numbers and 1/4 mile times. Also notice .. that no one who loves that car or wants one cares about how a modified c5 can beat it in performance.

Last edited by 5ABI VT; 03-12-2017 at 08:06 PM.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote