ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 02-02-2017   #1
SpeedGeek

Question Shopping for 1st ZR-1

Hi fellow enthusiast,

I'm in the market for my 1st ZR-1. Found a '90 with almost 90k miles at a dealer, and '92 with just over 20k miles from individual owner. I'm leaning towards the '92. I'm aware of the injector issue, so I will verify if been addressed with service records and negotiate accordingly if it hasn't. Other than that, what else should I be aware of that would've needed to be repaired or replaced either based on the high mileage or age regardless of mileage. Any other pros & cons of high mileage vs low mileage ZR-1s I should be aware of, please advise. Both cars within my budget so not too concerned with footing the maintenance bill if required, just any inconveniences and headache the fix might bring with it. I'll negotiate off price any maintenance not yet done that is required based on mileage or age anyhow. Any additional feedback always greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
SpeedGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017   #2
mike100

Default Re: Shopping for 1st ZR-1

Is it the white one? Did you drive it? and... the last question is: "Have you ever had a C4 before?"
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017   #3
SpeedGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
Is it the white one? Did you drive it? and... the last question is: "Have you ever had a C4 before?"
Yes, it's the white one. Have not driven yet. I reached out to him but still waiting on response. I'll probably call him later this afternoon. Are you familiar with it?

No, never owned a Vett. I have an '02 Trans-Am WS6 back home in Texas.

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2017   #4
PhillipsLT5

Buy one that is driven regularly with records, preferably one from a member here, even better one that has been modded, especially 500 or more HP, lots for sale on this site
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017   #5
XfireZ51

Try Lgaff. He has a very nice lo mile 92, w nice mods and in clean shape.
Here in Illinois. Red/black.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017   #6
Vette73

Bought mine sight unseen back in Nov of 14.....Got a nice deal " at least I think" and it is a solid car, well taken care of.....This is an excellent site with many knowledgeable members...Was not familiar at all with the LT-5 but have learned a great deal since...

Like the previous post says, check out the for sale section on this forum..Some nice deals out there....Whichever Z you purchase check and see if any maintenance records....Also if you can get one already modded that's a plus...The Z responds well to modifications....These motors were choked in my opinion from the factory so any added air flow is a plus of course....

Now is a great time to buy....As far as dealing with a dealer,set your price and stick to it..Gaurantee you will get a phone call back accepting your offer if at first they don't bite...A few stories on this forum of that happening...
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017   #7
Billy Mild

Buy from a forum member. For some reason every time I don't do this, the car needs a whole lot more than usual.
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017   #8
Z51JEFF

The only Z specific item would be the injectors and check the vacuum pump. Now C4 items that fail are the seat bladders,stereo components and a few other items I can't thisnk of. One very important item to check is the underside of the floor pan,lots of cars out there with holes in the floor pans.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017   #9
gen2rt

I have a red/red 94 20,000 miles, for sale with the haibeck 500 hp upgrade in Reno, nv. $25k
Old 02-03-2017   #10
SpeedGeek

Thanks for all the feedback! Plenty of info to chew on. Yes, there are definitely plenty of good examples out there but I'm limiting myself to ones within a reasonable distance to me. I'm one of those who has to see it in person and unfortunately don't have the luxury of time to fly out somewhere. gen2rt's ZR-1 might've been a contender if travel was an option.

Tags
buying a car, high mileage, low mileage, pros and cons, year comparison