ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-18-2014   #1
Alberta_ZR1

Default Painted Top Questions

My Z originally came with a painted top back in the day, but it doesn't have one now. I've always wanted to get one because I love the look of the cars with a painted top. So I've got a line on a complete good used one for $650.00 including shipping. Unfortunately it is silver so I will need to paint it.

Couple questions - 1.) was the inside color of the painted tops the interior trim colors or black? 2.) What do you think of that price?

Cheers!

Tyler
Alberta_ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #2
hiperf406

Default Re: Painted Top Questions

1 My painted top(Arctic white/ Red interior) inside liner is black.
2 Price doesn't seem too bad since includes shipping.

lorne #1748

When the flag drops the bull sh1t stops!
hiperf406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #3
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_ZR1 View Post
My Z originally came with a painted top back in the day, but it doesn't have one now. I've always wanted to get one because I love the look of the cars with a painted top. So I've got a line on a complete good used one for $650.00 including shipping. Unfortunately it is silver so I will need to paint it.

Couple questions - 1.) was the inside color of the painted tops the interior trim colors or black? 2.) What do you think of that price?

Cheers!

Tyler
1) black

2) Only you can say what it's worth. That said, your Z is rare Polo, not red, so you have a significantly diminished chance of finding one that DOESN'T need to be painted. My advice is to cast a wider net...any later C4 top will fit. My 1990 tops have the VIN stamped on them, but I believe GM stopped that in '91 or '92, IIRC.

Best of luck. Beautiful color!
Chris
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014   #4
KILLSHOTS

Sorry, entering shipping across the border into the equation probably changes things somewhat. Should have taken that into account.

Hey Lorne, looking forward to seeing you and Marianne again soon!
Old 06-18-2014   #5
Alberta_ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS View Post
Sorry, entering shipping across the border into the equation probably changes things somewhat. Should have taken that into account.
Oh yeah, Canadian shipping is crazy. But there is a shipping house that I use in Montana to capitalize on the lower 48 shipping rates. Then I just drive down and pick up my goods...pay my tax and then home.

I'll have to throw up an WTB post and see if anyone has one they would like to part with.
Old 06-18-2014   #6
KILLSHOTS

Yeah, great idea. Try that on the other forum (CF) too. You might even be able to find a Polo top that way, which would be a huge bonus. If I'm not mistaken, '88-'96 tops fit our cars, but confirm before you search. There are also some salvage yards around (such as 20thstreetauto.com here in PHX) that specialize in Corvettes...might be a good source. Best of luck!!
Old 06-18-2014   #7
Alberta_ZR1

Awesome! Thanks a bunch!
Old 06-19-2014   #8
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_ZR1 View Post

Cheers!

Tyler
Interior headlining on all is black.

Painted top fit is '89 to end of production.

What year top were you told it was? You mentioned "silver" and the only "silver" that would be considered a fit would be a '96 CE top. There were gray '89 cars but you mentioned "silver". You need snapshots of the front mounting points.

The greatest issue is shipping. A C4 top doesn't ship well and probably 30% are received damaged and there's little chance of recovery of funds because packaging is generally the issue. In this case it's usually not the handling.

I'd maybe try to shop a correct color top but I believe I'd consider a top of the incorrect color if I could do one local and priced right. The headliners are nearly all loose and will require replacement, that is NOT an issue.

I'd do the WTB for sure here and also the CF. I would think a "local" isn't out of the question and you get to check weather-strip condition and headliner. I'd consider paying more for a local I could put my hands on.

LOCAL - LOCAL - LOCAL or "know the shipper/packager". No exceptions. I've shipped several but I had a carton I used and part of the sale was the agreement that it would be returned and I charged for the return ship in the price. I never had an issue. The last time I used it the buyer paid for the box just to have it.

$650 is pretty steep for used unless very nice with "no issues". I did one the correct color that had been in the closet since new for not much more than that.

Use this for pricing comparisons and maybe call a local salvage yard. Use the drop-downs and select roof, it will give you options:

http://car-part.com/

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-19-2014 at 06:15 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014   #9
mike100

I recently found an arctic white top for my C6 for $300 so deals are out there, but most people don't advertise well because they don't know how to ship one.

Anyways, as a person who has received hammered targa tops before, I just bought an empty top box that Melrose T-Tops uses to ship their work. I paid for an empty and had it shipped to the man with the top. He packed it and it arrived unharmed. It will add $80 to the tab as UPS still charges a hefty fee for a dimensionally oversized package (even empty ones).

Their box has inserts which keep the top well away from the outer box edge. it doesn't take much of a drop against a curb or the back of the truck to knife edge a dent in the edge of the roof lid.

Last edited by mike100; 06-19-2014 at 09:58 AM.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014   #10
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
I recently found an arctic white top for my C6 for $300 so deals are out there, but most people don't advertise well because they don't know how to ship one.

Anyways, as a person who has received hammered targa tops before, I just bought an empty top box that Melrose T-Tops uses to ship their work. I paid for an empty and had it shipped to the man with the top. He packed it and it arrived unharmed. It will add $80 to the tab as UPS still charges a hefty fee for a dimensionally oversized package (even empty ones).

Their box has inserts which keep the top well away from the outer box edge. it doesn't take much of a drop against a curb or the back of the truck to knife edge a dent in the edge of the roof lid.
I modeled mine after the Melrose inside but added 3/4" Styrofoam on all six sides and did cardboard framing and strapped that for the final "protection".

I have a C6 top removed the day of delivery for a transparent 6/3/11 build, sonic blue needs hardware and weather-strips. Those were transferred to a new transparent.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote