ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-22-2010   #1
gbmidyear66

Default Can I live with these injectors till Fall?

Well, I suspected my injectors were on their way out.

When the engine gets hot - say stuck in stop and go traffic for an hour - I can hear the flywheel chattering, although the engine isn't noticeably stumbling and doesn't stall ( I have also had an SES code for lean mixture). So I meaured the resistance of my primary injectors today, about an hour after a short 20 min run with the car. Resisatance values I get are:

Cyl 1 = 9.1
Cyl 2 = 12.9
Cyl 3 = 9.3
Cyl 4 = 12.9
Cyl 5 = 13
Cyl 6 = 5.8
Cyl 7 = 12.8
Cyl 8 = 12.6

I just ordered the Haibeck DVD, and would really like to avoid tackling a Plenum pull until the fall. Any reason I can't put this job off till then?

I was planning on going with the Accel product - price is atractive and I am not aware of any downside. ANy reason to consider another product?
gbmidyear66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #2
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Can I live with these injectors till Fall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmidyear66 View Post
Well, I suspected my injectors were on their way out.

When the engine gets hot - say stuck in stop and go traffic for an hour - I can hear the flywheel chattering, although the engine isn't noticeably stumbling and doesn't stall ( I have also had an SES code for lean mixture). So I meaured the resistance of my primary injectors today, about an hour after a short 20 min run with the car. Resisatance values I get are:

Cyl 1 = 9.1
Cyl 2 = 12.9
Cyl 3 = 9.3
Cyl 4 = 12.9
Cyl 5 = 13
Cyl 6 = 5.8
Cyl 7 = 12.8
Cyl 8 = 12.6

I just ordered the Haibeck DVD, and would really like to avoid tackling a Plenum pull until the fall. Any reason I can't put this job off till then?

I was planning on going with the Accel product - price is atractive and I am not aware of any downside. ANy reason to consider another product?
It appears you have at least (3) bad ones (now), and that can't be good (run very lean, especially on #6!). Trrrrrust me....ANYONE with basic tools and mechanical ability can pull the plenum...Really, it is no big deal at all - nothing to be afraid of. You can have it off, you injectors replaced and reinstalled in 2-3 hours for a first-timer; less after that!

Afterwords you'll wonder why you gave pulling the plenum a second thought. But, you'll definitely want to replace at least the three weak injectors right away, would be my vote (coming from someone that may have had a valve issue stemming from a lean condition...)

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 04-22-2010 at 05:36 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #3
Jim Nolan

I am a firm believer in, once I'm in if affordable replace them all.
Jim Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #4
tomtom72

My vote is that you do the replacement now....but then it's easy to spend other people's money!.....before the summer driving season starts.

running a motor too lean for too long a period of time will eventually cause bad things to happen. We can talk you thru the plenum pull to do the injectors. Oh, sorry the "we" = all of us brothers here...we have your back.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #5
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nolan View Post
I am a firm believer in, once I'm in if affordable replace them all.
I agree.. if on a budget, like me, buy FIC injectors.

Now before anyone starts in.. Some people have had issues, other have not. I am one that had issues, I am on my 3rd set.. nobody has seen this on the net but here it goes..

Jan 2008, I bought 16 injectors from FIC off of eBay. I installed them and had a bunch of issues with the car loading up on fuel. gave up and installed OEM injectors (found 16 good out of 2 OEM sets)

drove it for 2008 that way, mean while I sent the injectors back, and got another complete set.

April 2009 I am getting my motor pieces powder coated, I contacted Jon at FIC to tell him i was going to try his Injectors again, he knew I was still running OEM, I wanted be sure the car ran good since I bought it in 2007.

Anyway, Jon told me to send back the ones I have, he wanted to check them. I got another set from him. installed them, I did find one leaker (hind sight check them before fully assembling) Jon send me 3 replacements (just in case). Replaced the leaker and the car ran great for all of 2009 and currently. Jon helped me work out the issues and I have not had any problems with the new set other then one leaker at first
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010   #6
gbmidyear66

Jeff, re the FIC injectors.... I'm not sure I like the idea of the rebuilts.

I believe the FIC Lucas product is what Haibeck offers - so I presume they are a quality product. Anyone have any idea on how they would compare to the Accell (which are a bit cheaper).

Anyone know what the "OEM look alike" FIC injectors actually are? Not sure that I will ever NCRS this car - but you never know.
Old 04-22-2010   #7
-=Jeff=-

Pm Toyvet1 he has the OEM look-a-likes I believe they are new
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - 3" Magnaflow Bullet cats - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010   #8
terry mckeown

I just replaced my injectors this past weekend with Accel injectors from Atlantic Speed. First time for me pulling the plenum, probably take you the better part of the day the first time. Started the car this morning and went for a cruise, runs great. Don't be intimidated it's easy, and there is lots of help here on the forum. PS I didn't have a manual or Marc's DVD.
terry mckeown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010   #9
gbmidyear66

Well I've replaced my antenna mast, replaced the headlight bushings, replaced the front spoiler, repainted the marked up console and door interior pieces, diagnosed the problem with the FX3 (parts on order) - I'm plain running out of excuses to tackle the Injectors. Just waiting for my crutch (Marc's DVD) to arrive.

I need to call FIC and ask them about the OEM look alikes - I'm thinking thats the way I will go .

I am guessing I should also speak to Jerry about some plenum gaskets?
Old 04-27-2010   #10
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmidyear66 View Post
I am guessing I should also speak to Jerry about some plenum gaskets?
Now there's a good idea

http://jerrysgaskets.com/store2/root...&products_id=7

or, if you prefer

http://jerrysgaskets.com/store2/root...&products_id=8
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote