ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-30-2019   #1
SAHall

Default 1990 No Crank

I am experiencing a no start on my 1990 ZR-1 with 16,000 miles. The car has power, but the starter does not crank. I don’t think it’s the vats system or the clutch switch. When I turn the ignition to start and push the clutch pedal down the starter does not engage, but the gauge shows a small voltage drop when the clutch switch is activating.

The battery is new and I tried starting with a battery booster just in case it was a power issue. No change.

While it may not be related, the vacuum pump is also making an unusual grinding or clicking noise when the key is first engaged.

Any advice. Is it the starter? Hope not.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
SAHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019   #2
lfalzarano

Default Re: 1990 No Crank

Do a search on DNS “Does Not Start”

My experience has been if the battery has the right CCA and is new - DNS doesn’t show up. This condition is more prevalent in a hot climate also.

Other members more experienced than me will chime it and guide you.

Old 10-30-2019   #3
lfalzarano

Default 1990 No Crank

It will push start if you are in a jam! It bypasses every issue[emoji108]

Last edited by lfalzarano; 10-30-2019 at 04:03 PM.
lfalzarano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019   #4
Ccmano

The vacuum pump should cycle on and off making that noise. If it doesn’t turn off for at least a few seconds you have a vacuum leak in the Secondary circuit.

As mentioned do a search on “No start”, not uncommon. Also check the stickies under the “Solutions” thread. Lots of good info. It’s most likely the starter solenoid contacts. There is also a mod to add a relay on 90’s to help that situation.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019   #5
SAHall

Thanks for the input. I will take a look. The vacuum pump turns on for a few seconds and then turns off-but it sounds different than it normally does-more of a clicking or grinding noise. Probably a different problem unrelated to the no crank.

Old 10-30-2019   #6
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHall View Post
Thanks for the input. I will take a look. The vacuum pump turns on for a few seconds and then turns off-but it sounds different than it normally does-more of a clicking or grinding noise. Probably a different problem unrelated to the no crank.

Yes, no relation to the no crank.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019   #7
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHall View Post
............ When I turn the ignition to start and push the clutch pedal down the starter does not engage, but the gauge shows a small voltage drop when the clutch switch is activating......................
The 1990 does not have a relay in the starter loop. Consequently, when you turn the ignition switch to start BEFORE depressing the clutch pedal, the full voltage arcs across the contacts in the clutch safety switch, which damages the contacts, ultimately to the point of failure. This is the reasoning behind installation of a relay in the starter circuit.

The correct way to start is to depress the clutch pedal fully BEFORE turning the ignition switch to start. This way, the contacts are engaged before the voltage is applied.

I would suggest you bypass the clutch safety switch, only as a test to verify the switch.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019   #8
SAHall

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
The 1990 does not have a relay in the starter loop. Consequently, when you turn the ignition switch to start BEFORE depressing the clutch pedal, the full voltage arcs across the contacts in the clutch safety switch, which damages the contacts, ultimately to the point of failure. This is the reasoning behind installation of a relay in the starter circuit.

The correct way to start is to depress the clutch pedal fully BEFORE turning the ignition switch to start. This way, the contacts are engaged before the voltage is applied.

I would suggest you bypass the clutch safety switch, only as a test to verify the switch.

Thanks for the input. I will give that a shot.

Old 10-31-2019   #9
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

You mentioned the voltage gauge reacted slightly to turning the ignition switch. That could mean the starter solenoid is activated, but the high current contacts inside of the starter may need to be replace; a common problem with the Denso starters (with 20-30k miles).

Replacement contacts are easy for a DIY project, once the starter is removed, and cost under $10 for a kit with just the copper contact lugs. (NOTE: Some kits include a new armature and contact ring (attached). I caution you that the thrust pins on some replacement armatures are too short, resulting in the pinion gear not fully engaging with the ring gear. However, the copper contact ring can be resurfaced with a little emory cloth - and the armature reused, no problem!))
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 90-92 starter circuit trace.jpg (135.0 KB, 40 views)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019   #10
billschroeder5842

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post

Thanks Jerry- I have a 91 so do you recommend the same start procedure?

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote