alwayscode390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012   #12
Tyler Townsley

Default Re: Queenie on Display.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscode390 View Post
Neat story

Is the Phase II a "hotter" engine than the production run engine? ---
According to Geoff the Phase II did have slightly more HP due to the fact they did not have to meet emissions and could be 'calibrated' based on HP figures rather than emission compliance figures. The weak spot was the chains, they were simplex in design and were not strong enough to withstand the higher rpms.(+5000). The chains in my engine were mfg in 2003 and are actually stronger than the production duplex chains used in 90-96 production. Geoff still made me swear to never rev over 5K.

Queenie and Lizzy have Phase II motors assembled by GEoff Jeal. (He currently has been made Head of driveline and engine platforms for Chrysler, drives a 500+hp 300C) Geoff insisted on using engineering sample DIS modules and injectors, it took me 2 years to finally address and solve the problems associated with my engine. It took me a week to solve and address the same problems with Lizzy.

By the time I got everything ironed out the motor was trashed from fuel problems created by using prototype 80s injectors with alcohol laced fuel. It ran but I was never happy with it. In 2011 the drive train from EX5011 surfaced and I bought it. That motor and mine will be used to assemble another engine. The original engine assembled for Queenie has 1 of 3 forged cranks made for the Phase II motors and updated cam chains. One of the attractions of using the drivetrain from EX5011 is I have a known trail of the car and drivetrain. That car was used by California Street Rods to make build an early model roadster for the Oakland Show. It arrived there sans body panels but intact drive train. The drivetrain was used to mock up the engine installation as there were no production units availble. Once a production unit was made available the Phase II was removed. They destroyed the tub but kept the engine until 2011 when they brought it to Carslile to sell.

Tyler
68 Torch Red
88 ZR1 Blue
90 ZR1 White
Tyler Townsley is offline   Reply With Quote