ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-2013   #1
Rocker57

Default New Owner....More Problems

Hey everybody! My name is Andrew and I am finally a proud ZR1 owner . I recently stepped up from my 89 6speed C4 to a 91 ZR1 (turquoise met) ~ 75k.....but not without some problems.

I bought the car knowing there were a few problems I was going to deal with. First, I had 4 injectors bad and she was running but sounded like a snapper from washing the plugs out and then burning the CATS up (glowing). I towed it home and got the intake off and replaced the injectors with some FIC remans and I also put in all new coil packs since one had obviously been replaced. I changed the wires and plugs and I immediately dropped the coolant when I discovered the dreaded orange stuff was in there.

After all that the ol' girl fired right up and ran great. The secondary seems to work fine but the transmission would hang up a little bit coming from reverse to first, and after you got it in to first everything shifted great. I figured I should get the car back up on jackstands and check out the hydraulic clutch system. I had problems on my 89 with the slave/master cylinder so I figured I would try bleeding it. Well the fluid was really low and black and the system wouldn't bleed so I replaced the slave and then the master cylinder. While it was up on jackstands I also changed the thermostat.

......now the car won't crank! You can put the key in and turn it to the "on" position and all the lights and gauges work, but when you go to crank it there is nothing coming from the starter. I figured this was a VATS problem so I checked the wiring harness (2-wire orange/white) under the column and it is reading the correct resistance of my key in all the positions. I also checked that the VATS module is sending 5V to the cylinder. I even tried jumping out the clutch switch to take that out of the equation but still nothing.

I am really stumped on why it won't crank. The starter doesn't seem to be locked up because there isn't a load when the switch is turned it just does nothing. So does anybody have any ideas? I have exhausted the search function on both this site and the corvetteforums.

Thanks in advance!
Rocker57 is offline   Reply With Quote