ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > Cleaning and Waxing

Old 02-05-2019   #1
VetteFantasy

Default Paint correction + protection of Polo Green '94 #444

Sometimes life and other project cars get in the way of paint correction plans, but after nearly two years of ownership I'm finally satisfied with the state of my '94 ZR-1's paint. I ended up doing this project in steps every few months, between track events. Since I couldn't dedicate a full, uninterrupted week to this process, I decided to spread it out so I wouldn't have to rush through steps.

Soon after I bought the car, I asked my husband, to tackle the hood, where the paint was in the poorest condition by far. I'm always nervous to take on heavily scratched/damaged areas where I have less confidence in the amount of clear coat left, and I was thrilled with the massive difference he made. I ended up using the same compound and pad combo on the rest of the car, but for the most part I didn't have to do multiple passes or use as much pressure as he did on the hood.

I'm a big fan of Majestic Solutions' compounds because they are water-based (no more headaches!), aren't very dusty, are easy to use, and produce great results. I chose PL+Collinite+Bead Maker to get all the OG points! Well, really I chose not to coat it because I like to play around with products too much; not to mention, applying waxes and sealants by hand is one of my favorite things to do.

Engine bay & suspension:
1. Super Green (diluted) + soft bristle brush to agitate
2. Pressure washer set to low pressure to rinse
3. CarPro Perl (diluted 3:1) to dress any black plastic bits (also to dress tires)

Wash/prep:
1. Majestic Solutions Citrus Wash in foam cannon + Microfiber Madness Incredipad
2. CarPro Iron-X + soft mitt on paint, wheels, and brakes
3. Adam's Tire & Rubber Cleaner + stiff bristle brush on tires
4. Majestic Solutions Red Max (diluted) on exhaust tips

Compound/polish:
1. Majestic Solutions Correction Compound (CC1) + Lake Country hybrid wool pad + Flex 3401 DA polisher
2. Majestic Solutions Final Finish (FF3) + black finishing pad + Flex 3401 DA polisher
3. IPA (diluted) + The Rag Company Creature Edgeless towels to wipe down

Protection:
1. Jescar Power Lock Plus sealant + dimpled red foam hand polish applicator (dedicated to Power Lock, because

that stuff will not fully wash out of the applicator)
2. Collinite 845 Liquid Insulator Wax + microfiber hand polish applicator
3. P&S Bead Maker Paint Protectant + The Rag Company Pluffle towels to apply and buff dry

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with the results and would choose the same products again tomorrow if I started over. The most consistently surprising product, to me, is Bead Maker. It seems to change the slickness and glossiness of coated or non-coated paint so dramatically.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hood.jpg (313.5 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg side.jpg (497.8 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg before.jpg (264.6 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg process.jpg (290.9 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg after.jpg (196.5 KB, 98 views)
VetteFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019   #2
efnfast

Default Re: Paint correction + protection of Polo Green '94 #444

Wow, just wow
efnfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019   #3
TX '90 ZR1

Default Re: Paint correction + protection of Polo Green '94 #444

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnfast View Post
Wow, just wow