ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-19-2014   #61
Schrade

Default Re: 368 LT5 Drinking oil

Before I pulled the secondaries, I started vac integrity tests in sec vac system here, starting post #362 http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21439&page=37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Yup - seen THAT before...

... and for NOW:

Re-assembled, with gear oil on the eccentric, and grease on the end of the armature shaft WATCH FOR A WASHER ON THE END OF THE ARMATURE SHAFT.

(AND THIS IS THE GOOD STUFF)

Pump lid NOT sealed yet...

bench (tire ) test dialed in (jumped straight from battery - more on that momentarily here)

vac nipple blocked; switch killed pump right away

and this question, about vac test without plenum re-installed, is answered

cables run to P side fenderwell, jumpers on vac pump (never mind the Guinny Stoudt - NONE for you! )

This juncture shut off right away, and held

reservoir evacuated in 3 seconds and held

I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014   #62
PhillipsLT5

Jerry has you going in the right direction, were the injectors new or rebuilt units from FIC, I do think they will warranty any bad units, I did here of trouble with rebuilds, I would suggest to yank secondary's and have Marc burn you a working chip for that
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #63
Mitsumark

Ok fellas an update..I changed the oil and switched to Mobil 1 15w50..Ive driven 2200 miles since my last post..I have also replaced all the plugs at that time so the plug pictured below only has 2200 miles on it..Oil consumption has been cut down since the last oil change..Probably cut in half..However it is still burning oil at an alarming rate(1qt 600miles) as seen by the plug below and it still smokes faintly at idle,and under moderate heavy accelaration..It does NOT smoke at all on decel in gear..Now remember earlier I ran compression test and it came back with great numbers..Since then on top of the plugs and oil change,I replaced both 02s,and both PCVs again just for good measure..My PCVs and piping were loaded with oil after 2200 miles again also..I have checked high and low for vac leaks and have found none..Car still pulls hard in every gear with no misfires..Idle is stable when sitting still however she hunts from 900-1500 when rolling in neutral until dead stop where she evens out at 900..I know from reading the plugs it is running pig rich as they are loaded with carbon,but its looks like oil is present also.All plugs look similar with 3 looking a bit worse than the others.Hunting idle,pig rich,burning oil..Is it possible I have a leaky plenum gasket that is undetectable?Ive triple checked spraying carb cleaner around the base of the entire plenum,inbetween runners,underneath..No change in idle..Can I be pulling oil into the injector housing somehow?What other way can oil be making it in to the combustion chamber?Im at a loss and Im extremely close to selling this car..Pic coming in 5..
Mitsumark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #64
scottfab

I'm not really sure which problem you're after, oil or possible plenum leak? I don't thing a plenum leak will cause higher oil consumption.

Staying with the oil for a bit. What happens if you drive for a bit and keep the rpms low? Does it still consume 1qt per 600mi?

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #65
Mitsumark

All plugs are ugly..Oil comsumption is bad regardless of how Im driving as proven by smoking at idle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140311_145051_HDR.jpg (77.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-11-2014   #66
Polo-1

I'm no Vette Doc. But looks to me your I need of a tune bad. Your washing down your oil with way too much fuel and drinking it.

See if you can get help with a stock chip and drive it. Yes, you will leave power out. It will still run fine for testing.
Polo-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #67
Mitsumark

That is what I wish I can do..This all started with the installation of a canned tune installation..The car had a chip burned specifically for this build and I had it flashed over like an idiot with the new tune..I don't know if a stock tune would help me as this car is pretty modded and also has intake cams..I don't have access to a stock chip either.Theres nobody in NJ that wants to touch it.. Seems all the LT5 know how's are in Chi-town.I'm definitely in over my head..

Last edited by Mitsumark; 03-11-2014 at 09:37 PM. Reason: ..
Old 03-11-2014   #68
Karl

I am no expert but why not just get another chip or have yours flashed again and see if that fixes the problem. After all you said it started when you changed the chip so there seems to be your problem.

Good luck!
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #69
Mitsumark

Very good point..Reason is I never would have imagined a tune to be so out of whack that it would cause oil consumption issues..I also didn't want to write over the existing tune as it was expensive and I'd hate to do it if it turns out it wasn't the problem..I know it's a lot to ask but if any of you would be kind enough to loan me a stock 91 chip for testing for about 2 weeks I would be extremely great full..Ofcourse I would cover shipping both ways..Sorry to come off hard faced but I'm desperate as I love the car and I want to get to the bottom of it before its to late..
Old 03-11-2014   #70
Polo-1

[QUOTE=Mitsumark;197786]I don't know if a stock tune would help me as this car is pretty modded and also has intake cams..QUOTE]

My 402 cube with both stage ll cams ran fine with a stock chip. I would think we have a brother somewhere near by that cam help with that.
Polo-1 is offline   Reply With Quote