ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-19-2015   #91
spork2367

Default Re: Point/Counterpoint: DOHC v OHV

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
I do respect them because of the engineering those companies invested in them but it is just hard to accept this country being second fiddle to any other country in the world in anything. I would never buy one except to flip for a profit like I stated earlier. I consider myself a true automotive guy but for me to own a pleasure craft I must like it first and that is the reason I would never own one. I will always feel the Corvette is the best and only sports car to own. I never root for any other car in racing except American cars in any type of racing. So there!!

ed ramos #3028
Your view seems to be a bit bigoted. I mean, what's your view of Zora Duntov? Belgian born, German trained, with strong racing experience from England...

If it weren't for European two seat sports cars, the Corvette wouldn't even exist. The majority of the technology used in Corvettes was used by foreign car manufacturers first. Hell, the LT5 was designed by Lotus in England.

Having brand loyalty is one thing. And the Corvette is a very American vehicle, from it's current pushrod V8 to its consumer friendly price.

But it wasn't created exclusively by Americans, with exclusively American technology, and isn't the greatest car ever manufactured.

Sorry if you're offended by that, but your view is awkwardly narrow minded.
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #92
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post
Your view seems to be a bit bigoted. I mean, what's your view of Zora Duntov? Belgian born, German trained, with strong racing experience from England...

If it weren't for European two seat sports cars, the Corvette wouldn't even exist. The majority of the technology used in Corvettes was used by foreign car manufacturers first. Hell, the LT5 was designed by Lotus in England.

Having brand loyalty is one thing. And the Corvette is a very American vehicle, from it's current pushrod V8 to its consumer friendly price.

But it wasn't created exclusively by Americans, with exclusively American technology, and isn't the greatest car ever manufactured.

Sorry if you're offended by that, but your view is awkwardly narrow minded.
And it’s not just Ferraris and Porsches. He also doesn’t like the “lousy LT4 car” (see post #11 ). And he’s certainly not impressed by the LS2 or LS3 and doesn’t FEEL that the LS7 is bulletproof (see post #6). I guess the only engine worth buying that any manufacturer ever produced was the LT5.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #93
edram454

Listen spork2367, I am offended by your bigot comment. This is a corvette forum and those are my personal views and preferences of the Corvette. I know more about Zora Duntov than you will ever know since I studied his life and career and made it a point to meet him and Elfi on a few occasions. What does my view of zora or anybody else have to do with my sports car preference?? I dont appreciate your comments. You sound like you should be in some European car forum not on a Corvette forum. Does the fact that I don't like foreign cars make me bigoted? I appreciate the engineering invested in some of those cars but like I said, I would never spend my money to have one as my personal sports car. I have come to appreciate the Lotus brand since they engineered our LT5 and fought the fight to get her done and put in production. This is a thread about DOHC v OHV so I dont know how it got to where it is now. I like this site because of the information obtained from fellow zr-1 enthusiasts and the willingness to help by so many members. It is a site I visit every day but if this the result of me expressing my opinion then I will refrain in the future and will stop posting or visiting again. This is a personal hobby so I take my liberties with what I do and how I do it so my opinions are solely mine
and nobody has to agree with them. I live by rules everyday on my job and in almost every other phase of my life but not my sportscar and car hobby which is my release. I hope you are happy with your euro cars or whatever you have but lets keep the european flag waving to a minimum in a Corvette site. I will not post on this thread any more.

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #94
edram454

Thumbs down Re: Point/Counterpoint: DOHC v OHV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS View Post
And it’s not just Ferraris and Porsches. He also doesn’t like the “lousy LT4 car” (see post #11 ). And he’s certainly not impressed by the LS2 or LS3 and doesn’t FEEL that the LS7 is bulletproof (see post #6). I guess the only engine worth buying that any manufacturer ever produced was the LT5.
I will reply to you. I have had supercharged Fords, big block chevys, small block chevys and ls engines. I was a big fan of the ls7 427 small block ls motor but like I posted I have seen too many losing oil pressure and it wasnt because of high miles. The LT4 is a good engine but not my preference for a hot small block. The ls1,2,3 are good engines and make enormous power when they are modded but they have lots of valve train noise,, ticking... issues. It wasnt until I installed a supercharger that my ticking went away or maybe the supercharger drowned out the noise. Those engines do impress when they are boosted. None of those have the sophistication of the lt5. I am very picky when I chose the car and engine combo of my choice because it is my right and its my enjoyment. I can say of you that you like and accept anything that turns over. I am surprised that you just want to pile on to that other guys comment. I would certainly not consider you a friend if I ever saw you at some event. I guess you can go back to your ls1tech website. Now I am done.

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
Old 08-19-2015   #95
spork2367

Quote:
Listen spork2367, I am offended by your bigot comment. This is a corvette forum and those are my personal views and preferences of the Corvette. I know more about Zora Duntov than you will ever know since I studied his life and career and made it a point to meet him and Elfi on a few occasions. What does my view of zora or anybody else have to do with my sports car preference?? I dont appreciate your comments. You sound like you should be in some European car forum not on a Corvette forum. Does the fact that I don't like foreign cars make me bigoted? I appreciate the engineering invested in some of those cars but like I said, I would never spend my money to have one as my personal sports car. I have come to appreciate the Lotus brand since they engineered our LT5 and fought the fight to get her done and put in production. This is a thread about DOHC v OHV so I dont know how it got to where it is now. I like this site because of the information obtained from fellow zr-1 enthusiasts and the willingness to help by so many members. It is a site I visit every day but if this the result of me expressing my opinion then I will refrain in the future and will stop posting or visiting again. This is a personal hobby so I take my liberties with what I do and how I do it so my opinions are solely mine
and nobody has to agree with them. I live by rules everyday on my job and in almost every other phase of my life but not my sportscar and car hobby which is my release. I hope you are happy with your euro cars or whatever you have but lets keep the european flag waving to a minimum in a Corvette site. I will not post on this thread any more.
Quote:
I will reply to you. I have had supercharged Fords, big block chevys, small block chevys and ls engines. I was a big fan of the ls7 427 small block ls motor but like I posted I have seen too many losing oil pressure and it wasnt because of high miles. The LT4 is a good engine but not my preference for a hot small block. The ls1,2,3 are good engines and make enormous power when they are modded but they have lots of valve train noise,, ticking... issues. It wasnt until I installed a supercharger that my ticking went away or maybe the supercharger drowned out the noise. Those engines do impress when they are boosted. None of those have the sophistication of the lt5. I am very picky when I chose the car and engine combo of my choice because it is my right and its my enjoyment. I can say of you that you like and accept anything that turns over. I am surprised that you just want to pile on to that other guys comment. I would certainly not consider you a friend if I ever saw you at some event. I guess you can go back to your ls1tech website. Now I am done.
Wow. Grab a beer and take two steps back. I called you bigoted because of your intolerance for foreign vehicles. Although now your lack of tolerance for the views of others seems just as bad.

My opinion is no more right or wrong than your opinion. However your opinion is monstrously hypocritical. You opine about your perceived superiority of American products and even essentially admit that it is out of ignorance that you want to think that (i.e. no logic or evidence you just want to think they're better).

Your lack of logic is telling you that the greatest American sports car engine ever created was one that was designed by Brits using European technology. It's probably the least American V8 Chevy ever built. If you want to say it's YOUR favorite sports car engine, that is fine. But that wasn't the first thing you said. Your first post on the subject was a relatively baseless criticism of Ferraris and Porsches.

And now you're ready to say none of us could be friends because we're just pointing out that your argument doesn't seem logical and we want to discuss things other than just the LT5? Don't worry, I don't think any of us will be tracking you down for a spirited discussion at any Corvette functions...
spork2367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #96
edram454

thats right rude dude, you did call me bigoted because of my opinion. who are you to insult and judge somebody because he is expressing his opinion. you tossed the first insult and you think by including the membership that they will all back you. Many members dont like european cars and some do because they are allowed to have a preference or an opinon and not be insulted and accused of being a bigot based on there sportscar preference. I am always rooting for the Americans even thought they were behind in DOHC technology and yes it was built by Lotus and it is a good engine. Its your opinion that my likes and dislikes are baseless because THEY DONT AGREE WITH YOURS!! You made you the forums critic of personal opinions. Go back to your rat hole and polish your yugo. I hope the moderator cleans this crap up. time for another topic but PLEASE DONT HAVE AN OPINION BECAUSE YOU WILL BE OPEN TO INSULTS BY OUR FORUM CRITIC MODERATOR.

Old 08-19-2015   #97
XfireZ51

All right gentlemen, let's take this thread back to the subject it was meant for.
The word bigot may have been a poor choice of words although I am certain spork did not intend it in the colloquial sense. He appears to be pointing out an apparent inconsistency in edram's argument re: American hardware.
Now that we have "discussed" that, let's move on to what so far has been a great exchange of views. Let's keep it technical and factual.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015   #98
edram454

Thank You.

Old 08-20-2015   #99
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork2367 View Post
Except Ford is banking their future performance on the 3.5 liter ecoboost V6. It's in their new GT concept and in the Raptor. Removing the V8 from the Raptor, a pickup truck, is the writing on the wall. So GM really missed the boat on a DOHC V8. But it didn't really matter because the LS was a cheaper more reliable motor that was cheaper and easier to get power out of than any of the DOHC Ford engines.

The Corvette won't ever see a DOHC engine in production. It simply would cost too much. They want supercar performance on a budget. Ferrari and Lamborghini can continue to build V10 and V12 monsters because those buyers aren't concerned with gas mileage or cost.
more reliable?
Old 08-20-2015   #100
Kevin

Quote:
why are there discussions praising ferraris and porsches in this forum. As a Corvette enthusiast, I hate Ferrari's and Porsches to death. I would never own or desire one. I would buy one just to resell it and make some money. Ferraris are buzz bombs and make their power in extremely high rpms and little displacement and now with multiple turbos, the porsches have that flat six with many pounds of boost.. they are refined but frankly bore me to death... dont like the sounds they make and the ridiculous price tags are staggering... some people just crap out money because they can... If I didnt have a Corvette I would not have another sports car period. That is just the way I roll...

ed ramos #3028
sorry ed but I disagree. My neighbor has a 2005 911 that's awesome, parts of the interior are a little low rent but at this point it's a $30,000 car that's reliable, quick and handles awesome. The two ferrari's I've driven have enough power to be fun everywhere. The 328 is probably my favorite. It's light, it's nimble, it's not all that fast but at this point it's nearly 30 years old, no one's buying these for their performance. His TR is no slouch either. I like all cars, not just corvettes