ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-12-2012   #1
Daniel_Mc

Default GB: DRM Coilovers

Hey Everyone I have been working with Doug Rippie Motorsports (DRM) for a group purchase on the coilover suspension. The DRM coilover set up gives the C4 Race car-level handling, adjustable ride height, and a more controlled ride. The coilover suspension allows each corner of the Corvette’s suspension to react independently by eliminating the leaf springs completely. The DRM coilover suspension can be installed using existing stock shock absorbers or new Bilstein shocks. The group purchase will be for the FX3 or non-FX3 kit without shocks. Other shops sell similar set ups ranging from 2300 as high as 5000. The DRM price for this purchase is 800 shipping included. Here is what you will get:
Four (4) Hyperco coil springs, four (4) billet aluminum top hats, four (4) adjustable sleeves, spanner wrench and polyurethane shock mount bushings. (Shocks not included)

Also DRM has offered the trailing arm and camber brackets at a significant discount. The trailing Brackets 70.00 shipped and the camber brackets at 80.00 shipped.

Please let me know if you are interested this is a onetime only deal and we must have all orders placed by July 27th. Please let me know if you have any questions!

Also our very own Carter (Carter200) makes a very trick set up for the coilover that will allow you to install the coilovers in much less time and best of all keep from all the cutting that was required before. He sells the front sway bar relocation brackets and the rear shock mounting brackets. Very minimum modification to the car is required if using these brackets. Please contact Carter directly if you are interested in the brackets (I would strongly recommend them).

Cheers,
Daniel
Daniel_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #2
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Default Re: GB: DRM Coilovers

Daniel

Wow this is a super deal!!

I want trailing arm and camber brackets.

How much are Carter's pieces? (front / rear)

Show a picture Carter so people can see your work!

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #3
mike100

The trailing arm brackets do work- takes some front end dive out of the car and helps keep the rear brakes from locking up around corners if you find yourself applying brakes in one.

slightly firmer road feel on the rear is the side effect. I will probably never change back to stock- most people would like these brackets IMO.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #4
FU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
most people would like these brackets IMO.
Good for straight line traction too. The brackets can be used with the stock suspension component's also.

Nice Group Purchase price

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #5
tf95ZR1

Great Deal!
Do you know what the spring rates are?
And how are they different FX3 vrs. Non-FX3?

Last edited by tf95ZR1; 07-12-2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Wanted 2
tf95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #6
VetteMed

do the stock FX3 shocks require modification / machining to install the coilover kit?
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #7
tf95ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteMed View Post
do the stock FX3 shocks require modification / machining to install the coilover kit?
That's exactly what I PM'd Daniel about. I vaguely remember having
to send your shocks to Bilstein in San Diego for modification.
tf95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #8
Demps

Local shop can groove shocks for ring. Or can send to Bilstein for rebuild and groove.

Only have to notch rear frame opening and use aftermarket front sway bar bushing mount with Carter's excellent stuff.

Ted
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #9
mgg

I would also be curious as to who is doing the shock mod. If it is Bilstein, I am curious how long they would have the shocks before they would be returned. I have this set up on my race car nad it has worked very well. I have always wanted to install these on my ZR-1. Trying to get these cars to sit right with the longer rear bolts and the wedges up front can be maddening. I seem to remember the brackets Carter manufactured to mount the front sway bar so you can eliminate the grinding and cutting. It has been so long since I installed these I cannot remember what I had to do. I would appreciate if anyone knows how long Bilstein would have the shocks for before they are returned, or if hter is an alternative.
mgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012   #10
Daniel_Mc

Quote:
I want trailing arm and camber brackets.

How much are Carter's pieces? (front / rear)
David,
You can do just brackets you'll have to get with Carter on the price I do not know what he sells them for.

Quote:
The trailing arm brackets do work- takes some front end dive out of the car and helps keep the rear brakes from locking up around corners if you find yourself applying brakes in one.

slightly firmer road feel on the rear is the side effect. I will probably never change back to stock- most people would like these brackets IMO.
Mike,
You are right the car feels much more planted in the corner and transfers the power with less drama. They are very well worth the money even if you are not doing coilovers.

Quote:
Good for straight line traction too
I have never been down a drag strip so I can't comment on that but it does make a difference on the street or road course.

Quote:
Great Deal!
Do you know what the spring rates are?
And how are they different FX vs. Non-FX?
Yes, standard rates for the ZR-1 are 425 fronts and 275 rears but DRM will do whatever rate you want. The FX3/non-FX3 does not make a different on the spring rate.

Quote:
Yes, They require a small grove to be machined about an inch from the bottom of the shock so that a snap ring can be installed for the sleeve to rest on. You can send to DRM or have a local machine shop install.

Daniel
Daniel_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote