ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > OFF TOPIC

Old 04-20-2017   #1
Roadster

Default Working on the 74.....

Started going out to the 74 once again, this time the goal is wheels on the ground during the summer and to fire it up by fall, if not sooner.
Worked on cleaning up the trans and also on the lower control arms. Pressing out all of the bushings tomorrow for both the upper and lower arms. The lowers still need some final prep before paint.
Making progress, any progress is good progress!!!
Here are some pics....

the trans before and after, just about cleaned.......getting there...

getting the arms cleaned...

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017   #2
Roadster

Default Re: Working on the 74.....

most of the rear suspension back in...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 04-20-2017   #3
225Kzr

Lookin' good. Smart Struts great solution on the rear. Is that the original fuel tank? I'm still running on the original, and have to replace the rear bumper cover (for the second time) and debating if I shouldn't go ahead and replace the tank. Seems like the GM urethane covers only have a 20 year life span before they self-destruct. I gladly do that for the advantage of last year of NO CATS. I note the shock piston rod looks larger diameter than stock. Anything trick with those?

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Founding Member #0378

'74 L-82 4-SPD Original Owner
'94 LT-1 6-SPD Driver
'91 Brt Red ZR-1, 225K+ Miles
225Kzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017   #4
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225Kzr View Post
Lookin' good. Smart Struts great solution on the rear. Is that the original fuel tank? I'm still running on the original, and have to replace the rear bumper cover (for the second time) and debating if I shouldn't go ahead and replace the tank. Seems like the GM urethane covers only have a 20 year life span before they self-destruct. I gladly do that for the advantage of last year of NO CATS. I note the shock piston rod looks larger diameter than stock. Anything trick with those?

Thanks....
I have always used the smart struts on any C3 that I have owned. Makes it way easy for the rear alignment. Yes it is the original tank, will post some pics for you. Mine is a very low mileage vehicle, but had a lot of surface rust due to it only being in a 3 sided type garage in CT with very damp flooring.
I redid the tank, and it came out decent. Pics below...
My rear bumper came apart in pieces....lol I have the Truflex replacements for both front and rear.
We got lucky with our 74's, the last year of the true dual exhaust....
I am trying the QA1 non adjustable shocks, so we shall see how they do. Still undecided on the rear spring, the VBP #340 lb spring that was intended for the 74 has been on my 82 for the last 5 years. I may put the original metal spring back on the 74, or take the glass spring off of the 82 and put it on the 74. Don't know as of yet.....lol

the tank....before and after...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 04-20-2017   #5
225Kzr

Tank rehab looks great! I think I may be OK.......I'll know when I pull the rear urethane. I've been lucky to be able to garage since '79. Been tempted on the TruFlex......but if I can get 20 more years out of urethane the bumpers will outlast me lol! The QA1's look stout.....be interested to hear how they perform when you roll again. Figured they were not the garden variety shock. Seeing the top of the tank always reminds me of how people are stunned when they see you can put your fist thru the tank opening........no UL nozzle restrictions necessary. Had Smart Struts since late 90's......they greatly simplify things beyond the old Armstrong alignment method. You're doing great work....keep going!

Founding Member #0378

'94 LT-1 6-SPD Driver
Old 04-20-2017   #6
Roadster

Thanks Jim,
Yes the tank opening is huge, last real year that you could still used leaded gas as you know....if it even was still available.....lol
Also interested myself to see how it rides with the QA1's. Only time will tell.
As mentioned before, doing the bushings tomorrow. And probably going to remove the heater core, it was replaced over 8 years ago before I bought the car, but since it has been sitting for this long I want to get that one and the original core pressure tested. I know the original one had a pin hole leak. Hopefully that can be repaired, I would like to put that one back in.

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 04-21-2017   #7
BigJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Started going out to the 74 once again, this time the goal is wheels on the ground during the summer and to fire it up by fall, if not sooner.
Worked on cleaning up the trans and also on the lower control arms. Pressing out all of the bushings tomorrow for both the upper and lower arms. The lowers still need some final prep before paint.
Making progress, any progress is good progress!!!
Here are some pics....

the trans before and after, just about cleaned.......getting there...

getting the arms cleaned...

Try white vinegar on rusty parts?
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017   #8
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
Try white vinegar on rusty parts?
I will give that a try......

In the meantime, got more things accomplished on Friday. The lower control arm bushing were a treat!!! But they did finally come out. Did some blasting on them, came out decent. More prep later today, then prime, paint and install the new bushings. Also on the schedule is removing the heater core to get checked out along with the original unit that I know has a pin hole leak.

getting ready for the lowers, I really could have and should have left them in...oh well!!!

some time in the blasting cabinet....just about ready for prime & paint...

might give it one more pass, or just sand them down, not going for NCRS.....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 04-22-2017 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-22-2017   #9
225Kzr

Tom.......You can work on my C3 anytime. I think you'll be pleased you went ahead and did the lowers with the other work you're doing. The heater core? A thankless PITA! But not C4 PITA. My first lasted 20 years, and cost me a right front cut pile carpet. So my #2 is due now at 27 years. I noted the heater box had some cracking around the flanges which I patched first time with black RTV so I picked up a heater box rebuild kit from Dr. Rebuild for round 2. Don't know if he's still in business. But since this is not your first dance with C3's, you've done this before. Wish I worked as fast as you.

Founding Member #0378

'94 LT-1 6-SPD Driver
Old 04-23-2017   #10
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 225Kzr View Post
Tom.......You can work on my C3 anytime. I think you'll be pleased you went ahead and did the lowers with the other work you're doing. The heater core? A thankless PITA! But not C4 PITA. My first lasted 20 years, and cost me a right front cut pile carpet. So my #2 is due now at 27 years. I noted the heater box had some cracking around the flanges which I patched first time with black RTV so I picked up a heater box rebuild kit from Dr. Rebuild for round 2. Don't know if he's still in business. But since this is not your first dance with C3's, you've done this before. Wish I worked as fast as you.

Jim, no problem, would be glad to......lol
Out again on Saturday but not he best results, as we used a press for a little besides other methods to take out the bushings on Friday. Should not have used it at all. But we did and ending up throwing the arm out of spec slightly. Hopefully it won't be a problem to line it up properly.
This heater core has been in the car for the last 9 years, and I imagine it might be ok, but it still has antifreeze in it. So I am going to pull it anyway and get it pressure tested as the interior is already out, just have to remove the HVAC ducts and such.
I have purchased a lot of parts from Dr. Rebuild over the years, I think he has slowed down quite a bit. Have not seem him at Carlisle for the last few years.
Working faster now since retirement.....lol keeps me busy.....

Two pics from Saturday.....needs a final re-coat after we get the arm squared away and the new bushings installed...
My high school buddy painting one of the arms, in our makeshift outside open booth....lol

almost done.....one more coat when we finish...

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 04-23-2017 at 12:38 AM.