ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Club Regional Areas > Southwest Region

Old 06-28-2014   #1
Coop

Default Houston Area Owners- Looking for Advice

Do any of the Houston area owners regularly meet up?

I've been researching the ZR-1 and watching prices for about a year now, and I think I'm ready to get serious about looking for a car. I have some general ownership questions, but most of all I'd like to just see some examples of a healthy car. I know the registry has the purchasing checklist, but I think I would feel better about traveling to see a ZR-1 if I had talked to owners.

Thanks for any help, Ryan
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014   #2
epaul77055

Default Re: Houston Area Owners- Looking for Advice

You can come take a look at my 1990-I'm in the Spring Branch area.I'm not an expert but I'll share what I know.
epaul77055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014   #3
USAZR1

Welcome aboard,Ryan. Any particular year ZR-1 you might be looking for?
1994 ZR-1 White/Red #152 (sold)
1991 ZR-1 Callaway Aerobody #1332 (sold)
1990 ZR-1 Red/Red #952 (sold)
2002 Z06 Torch Red/Mod Red widebody
USAZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014   #4
Coop

On the registry marketplace, there's a '91 Quasar Blue in CO that's in my price range that I was going to target first. I'm looking for a 1991+ preferably under 20K with the way prices are looking.

Quote:
You can come take a look at my 1990-I'm in the Spring Branch area.I'm not an expert but I'll share what I know.
I appreciate the offer. I would like to meet up and talk with someone at the very least if you guys don't really meet up. I've seen some ZR-1s at cars and coffee, but I've never been able to catch up with an owner. I don't go very regularly either.
Old 06-28-2014   #5
diamond zr1

There are several of us that are starting to get together in the San Antonio area for bbq and b.s./we plan on doing more workshops,in the fall when it cools off and I return from our summer home/Also we have Corey Henderson performance up here.He is one of the best zr1 mechanics in the country/If you are looking for a stock car,I would recommend one of the rare colors/If looking to mod. the car,buy one already done,save big/the cars are bulletproof,if not beat on/I have 2 a 91 dark red metallic/modded/ and a steel blue 90/prices are way too cheap/joe
diamond zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014   #6
Coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond zr1 View Post
There are several of us that are starting to get together in the San Antonio area for bbq and b.s./we plan on doing more workshops,in the fall when it cools off and I return from our summer home/Also we have Corey Henderson performance up here.He is one of the best zr1 mechanics in the country/If you are looking for a stock car,I would recommend one of the rare colors/If looking to mod. the car,buy one already done,save big/the cars are bulletproof,if not beat on/I have 2 a 91 dark red metallic/modded/ and a steel blue 90/prices are way too cheap/joe
I'm not sure exactly what I want to do yet, but I would think I'll do some light modding. That's good advice to buy something already done, they just seem to be more rare. Ultimately, I'd like to do a few HPDE's a year just for fun. I started doing this with my last car ('09 CTS-V) and had a blast. How comfortable would you guys feel running these cars that hard? I've read about some temperature problems at long duration high rev, but those seem like they can be dealt with.
Old 06-29-2014   #7
gbrtng

My 91 has about 5k track miles - just wore out tires, brake pads and a few wheel bearings.
The LT5 is bulletproof. If you get to an oil or coolant over temperature situation, the stock ECM will not let the secondaries open up.

Where have you been running your CTS-V ?
Old 06-29-2014   #8
Coop

Wow, 5K miles is a lot of track time. I was taking my CTS-V down to Texas World Speedway in College Station. That track is nice for the higher HP cars to stretch their legs.

Last edited by Coop; 06-29-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 06-30-2014   #9
MickeyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
I'm not sure exactly what I want to do yet, but I would think I'll do some light modding. That's good advice to buy something already done, they just seem to be more rare. Ultimately, I'd like to do a few HPDE's a year just for fun. I started doing this with my last car ('09 CTS-V) and had a blast. How comfortable would you guys feel running these cars that hard? I've read about some temperature problems at long duration high rev, but those seem like they can be dealt with.
Hey Coop, I'm up in Conroe. I work in Houston. I've got 3. 2 1990's and 1 93 Anniversary. I'm not a mechanic, but can maybe help you with what to look for. I would be in for some get togethers. Rhipsher is one of the guys on here that can help you too. PM me if you want to talk.
1990 ZR1 Red/Black #2469
1990 ZR1 Black/Black #843
1993 ZR1 Ruby 40th Anniversary #112
MickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014   #10
Coop

That's an impressive collection you have there MickeyD. PM sent with some of my info.

I appreciate everyone's quick responses and advice for a brand new poster. It really shows true to the reputation of this crowd.