ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-20-2011   #1
Brillo1990

Default Disabling Low Tire Sensors and Warning Light

I have a bad sensor in one wheel from a guy using fix a flat in the tire, I want to remove all of the sensors and disable the warning light if I can. I deal with this all the time at work (midwest weather) and don't need to have work follow me home too. Is there a way to do this so I can use my brain and check tire pressure on my own? Thanks!
Brillo1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011   #2
xlr8nflorida

Default Re: Disabling Low Tire Sensors and Warning Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillo1990 View Post
I have a bad sensor in one wheel from a guy using fix a flat in the tire, I want to remove all of the sensors and disable the warning light if I can. I deal with this all the time at work (midwest weather) and don't need to have work follow me home too. Is there a way to do this so I can use my brain and check tire pressure on my own? Thanks!
Why not just buy a sensor?

If its orange one there is NEW one on line now for like $80.
xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011   #3
Brillo1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida View Post
Why not just buy a sensor?

If its orange one there is NEW one on line now for like $80.
I'm not in love with the things to start with and like I said we constantly have them going off at work on our vehicles (mostly Ford Windstars/Freestars) and they drive me insane. LOL I'd just like to disable them if I can along with the warning light unless there is a reason not to do it. Thanks for the quick reply. BTW they are all original sensors.
Old 02-20-2011   #4
Brillo1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida View Post
It is your car so you can do as you choose. They do provide valuable feedback and typically don't experience problems like new ones do. Our Tire sensors don't use batteries which is cool.

Faster to yank the one wheel off and put a new tire sensor on then break down all the wheels, and wrap up the sensors and put them in storage.

If you decide to sell them (I don't think you should) I'd be willing to buy them as spares.

I'm sorry I can't help you in how to disable the light. I don't have them on my car because the sensors are on my original tires/rims in storage so I know it can be done. I'm just not sure of the correct procedure.

Good Luck.
Right now I have all the tires off and am getting the rims powder coated which is why I was asking. Is there any other info the sensors provide other than low tire pressure that I'm missing? I noticed they all were labeled for specific wheels RF RR LF LR, do they need to be in the correct wheel? Does a code come up for which wheel is the culprit? I guessing yes since they are labeled. Thanks for the reply.
Old 02-20-2011   #5
xlr8nflorida

The C4 system uses a transmitting wheel sensor held in place by large band clamp. Each sensor has a separate identification color and frequency, which is transmitted as the wheel turns. If a sensor gets mounted to the wrong wheel, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be sent. Wheel position, sensor colors and Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) are as follows:

* Right Rear: Orange, DTC=24
* Left Rear: Yellow, DTC=34
* Left Front: Green, DTC=44
* Right Front: Blue, DTC= 54

It is possible to attain the code from your dashboard. With the key in the “on” position, press and hold the “Trip/Odo” button until “1.1″ is visible on the trip odometer readout. Next, press the “Eng/Met” button to scroll down the present code list (which is displayed at the MPH indicator) until you see the applicable one.

The movement of the wheel provides the energy necessary to power the transmitter. If the tire pressure drops below 25 PSI, the sensor stops transmitting to the receiver, and the “Service LTPWS” lamp illuminates. The sensors don’t require batteries, and the receivers don’t need to be reprogrammed.

I believe that most just unplug the bulb in the dashboard. I believe others have removed them and got no light (lucky) and then others have disconnected the brain that the sensors "talk to"

Somebody will chime in. Like I said they were designed for 100,000 miles and don't use batteries. I don't see alot of people with issues on them. Although if you don't have them, there will absolutely be no issues

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 02-20-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-20-2011   #6
Brillo1990

So I guess if they're sitting in the garage 10 miles away then they can't transmit a signal then can they. Thanks for the info much appreciated.
Old 02-20-2011   #7
ScottZ95ZR1

I believe that for the '90 MY only, removal of all sensors will result in no LTPWS light.

For the '91-'95 models, the bulb must be removed from the DIC.
ScottZ95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011   #8
xlr8nflorida

Sometimes, I think the light is not triggered.

Here are 3 options.

Pull the cruise control switch Fuse but then you won't have cruise.

Remove the bulb

Ghetto Fix

Put some black electrical tape over the light, and then get one of those snazzy C4 decorative plates that go over the DIC.
Old 02-20-2011   #9
xlr8nflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottZ95ZR1 View Post
I believe that for the '90 MY only, removal of all sensors will result in no LTPWS light.

For the '91-'95 models, the bulb must be removed from the DIC.

I believe you are correct now that I think of it as I have no light.
Old 02-20-2011   #10
USAFPILOT

I have a 94 and after I removed them the light stayed off until one day when I disc the battery and reconnected it. I guess it reset then and has been on ever since. I think about taking the bulb our every now and then, but the sensors are still mounted on my A-Molds, so if I ever feel like switching back the system will still work. I wish it was programmable.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote