ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-12-2014   #81
Schrade

Default Re: Headers Installation...

Nifty work

Does your tranny controller module readout for fluid temp?

I went to see George C last week in Pittsburgh, and I THOUGHT he said one of your automatics went belly up, and I'm wondering if fluid heatup might have been the issue there...

I was concerned about that, so I decided to wrap the secondary sections as precautionary measure.

You get quicker ET's with automatic?

One GS Registry user said he does get quicker ET's with his GS auto conversion....................
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014   #82
aafc

I run two transmission temp units. I run one from the pan itself and one internal
on the transmission controller.on a hot day (85- 90 deg) external reading
is about 175 deg and internal reads 185-206 deg. Yes the auto is a lot quicker
but you have to remember that my motor was rebuilt to 368 in with stage one
cams by Aaron @ SGC. Makes 550 hp at crank with 418 Rwhp thru the
auto. If i stage deep (put out top light) i run 7.70 to 7.75 @ 94 mph (1/8 )
mile. If i stage normal ( both lights on ) i run 7.60 to 7.65 @ 94 mph (1/8 ).
The heat trouble was caused by early and late parts installed in transmission.
upon closer inspection we found that out the second time. All is good now
I also installed heat barrier in the transmission tunnel while trans was
being built ( that's the silver you see in the photos)
John
1990 white/black # 2546
one of a few ( and more being done by other owners) auto EQ ZR-1.
aafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014   #83
aafc

That wire is the ground for the transmission pressure gauge ( line pressure ).

John
Old 05-17-2014   #84
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by aafc View Post
That wire is the ground for the transmission pressure gauge ( line pressure ).

John
2 fluid drain plugs . Fluid change interval? Fluid type? Torque Converter have a drain? Do you have a fluid radiator up front?

Line pressure solenoid ground... I've thought about that John; a missing ground in the tranny controller module / FPS fluid pressure solenoid ever since getting it back a year ago, because of my 'singing' FPS fluid pressure solenoid circuit, pitch thereof in sync with the TPS range of motion (Closed Loop only), audible here.

Did you add in that ground? Or was it part of your Tranny Controller Module harness? Your 4L80e IS electronic???

Sound comes from inside the case. It does it Ignition 'ON', motor OFF, OR motor running, ALL GEARS.

All leads in the TCM circuit are present and accounted for.

RPM Transmission guys (built the Stage V tranny) gave it a listen while I had them on the phone. I could here the video ON THEIR END, over the phone. They said normal, but definitely louder than normal in mine...

Any thoughts on that JB

Investigation soon.....................................
---------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, back to hackin' on the outpipes.

Is there a harness connector for that O2 somewhere?

Just thinking of re-routing the O2 from existing loom, to elsewhere, where it will hit home W/O an extension...

I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 05-17-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-17-2014   #85
4-cam

There's a connector under there , just follow the wires. I think it was easier to get to with the section of cross member removed that your oxygen sensor is laying against. Its attached to a little aluminum shield. Kind of a pia to get too.
[I]1991 ZR-1 Blk/Gry #31[/I]
[I]SW Headers/Xpipe- Dynomax Muffs[/I]
[I]Ported top end[/I]
[I]Secondaries Removed[/I]
Tune by Dominic
4-cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014   #86
Franke

Yep what 4-cam says. I had to get to that connector to change the O2 sensor and you need to remove that cross member on that side to get to it.
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014   #87
aafc

Ok the 4l80E is an electronic from a 1996 chevy truck.It was rebuilt in 2009
by performance automotive transmission center located in Bossler, LA.
The unit is stage 2 with 1st gear 2.75, 2nd gear 1.57, 3rd gear 1.1 and 4th
.75. Rear end gears are 3.73.
Fluid change interval checked each month before and after drag racing.
fluid type Dextron III .
no drain on TQ. converter.

Transmission controller is made by Compushift (see Photo )
Unit displays
Tach (rpm) , gear your in, battery volts throttle opening ( % ) , TCC on/off, temp trans (internal ), pressure (% ) line. Also have line pressure gague
next to Tach.

I use a ron davis racing rad with built in trans cooler, plus a 24" cooler
(see ) photo just behind the front spoiler ( cut outs help direct cool air thru
the cooler).

John
Old 05-18-2014   #88
Schrade

Thanks for postin' snappics there JB; always lookin' here for more ideas.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by aafc View Post
Ok the 4l80E is an electronic from a 1996 chevy truck.It was rebuilt in 2009
by performance automotive transmission center located in Bossler, LA.
The unit is stage 2 with 1st gear 2.75, 2nd gear 1.57, 3rd gear 1.1 and 4th
.75. Rear end gears are 3.73.
Fluid change interval checked each month before and after drag racing.
fluid type Dextron III .
no drain on TQ. converter.

Transmission controller is made by Compushift (see Photo )
Unit displays
Tach (rpm) , gear your in, battery volts throttle opening ( % ) , TCC on/off, temp trans (internal ), pressure (% ) line. Also have line pressure gague
next to Tach.

I use a ron davis racing rad with built in trans cooler, plus a 24" cooler
(see ) photo just behind the front spoiler ( cut outs help direct cool air thru
the cooler).

John

Old 05-18-2014   #89
Schrade

Default D/Stick options here...

I'm wonderin' here what we got wrong - looks like there's a few options for D/S placement... except of course, for bolting in the top.

Where's Steve here - you said 'get ready' for the dipstick...

I have a tube / pipe bender, to swing the top upward, so I might bring it up between 4 + 6 pipes - LOTS of room there, with 4 bolts possible to use - #4 rear INboard or OUTboard, OR #6 front INboard or OUTboard.

'A' arrows to OUTboard, #6 front, and OUTboard #4 rear (anyone know the ID # for each bolt??? ).

(and dipstick is square in port, without GROMMET, ATM )

OR ...

Last edited by Schrade; 05-18-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-18-2014   #90
4-cam

I placed mine centered between holes 2 & 4. I used the #4 bolt to attach the tube bracket I made. I bent the tube slightly to get the placment correct. Mine was complicated by the air tubes. Be glad you did not have to add these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-05-18 15.51.03.jpg (121.7 KB, 45 views)
[I]1991 ZR-1 Blk/Gry #31[/I]
[I]SW Headers/Xpipe- Dynomax Muffs[/I]
[I]Ported top end[/I]
[I]Secondaries Removed[/I]
Tune by Dominic
4-cam is offline   Reply With Quote