ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-22-2017   #11
cbaclawski

Default Re: Make into Track Car, or sell along? advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Retired View Post
I say track the Z.

Leaning that way!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmvette View Post
Track the ZR-1. Leave the original seat, its really good and add a bar or partial cage so you can install good 6 pt harness. My car works well on the track and has a larger radiator, upgraded brakes, original seat with reinforced harness / roll bar and 5 pt belts, oh - and a little extra power :-)

How do you get a submarine strap through the original seat? Assuming I can fit in it with a helmet on, this would be ideal. I actually really like the stock seat too...
cbaclawski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017   #12
BigJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaclawski View Post
Leaning that way!!

How do you get a submarine strap through the original seat? Assuming I can fit in it with a helmet on, this would be ideal. I actually really like the stock seat too...
Have an upholster make room for the strap!
You may have to cut the top off your helmet or remove your top!

BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017   #13
cbaclawski

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
Have an upholster make room for the strap!
You may have to cut the top off your helmet or remove your top!

Or I could have a couple vertebrae removed ;-)
Old 08-22-2017   #14
BigJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaclawski View Post
Or I could have a couple vertebrae removed ;-)
I am 6'6" maybe we could get a deal having Gurnee bubble tops produced!
Old 08-23-2017   #15
RussMcB

My opinion: No need for more than a four point harness for a track day car in a sedan where you are sitting upright.

The crotch straps are mainly for cars where the driver is laid back. It helps stabilize the lap belt (so it doesn't move upward in a front-end hit), and prevents the driver from sliding forward.

Six point belts are required in formula cars (to protect your nuts). If you wanted sub straps in the ZR-1, you could use 6-points (as opposed to 5), where the sub straps are anchored in the same place as the lap belts. So, a hole in the seat isn't needed. You're sitting on the sub straps rather than having them (or it) come up through the seat.

Regarding stock seats, I often get a bruise on my right thigh from the Corvette's power seat controls. A racing type seat really makes a big difference because you aren't holding on the steering wheel tightly to keep your upper body in place. It allows you to hold the wheel lightly.

Imagine you get into a tank-slapper situation where you're trying to catch a wild slide. Having a racing seat let's you focus more on the steering corrections than just holding on to stay in place.

Once you've driven on track in a racing seat it's hard to be comfortable in (most) stock seats.
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017   #16
BigJohn

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 75.jpg (94.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 08-23-2017   #17
RussMcB

Nice set up, BigJohn. No doubt you're secure in there.
Old 08-23-2017   #18
cbaclawski

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
My opinion: No need for more than a four point harness for a track day car in a sedan where you are sitting upright.

The crotch straps are mainly for cars where the driver is laid back. It helps stabilize the lap belt (so it doesn't move upward in a front-end hit), and prevents the driver from sliding forward.

Six point belts are required in formula cars (to protect your nuts). If you wanted sub straps in the ZR-1, you could use 6-points (as opposed to 5), where the sub straps are anchored in the same place as the lap belts. So, a hole in the seat isn't needed. You're sitting on the sub straps rather than having them (or it) come up through the seat.

Regarding stock seats, I often get a bruise on my right thigh from the Corvette's power seat controls. A racing type seat really makes a big difference because you aren't holding on the steering wheel tightly to keep your upper body in place. It allows you to hold the wheel lightly.

Imagine you get into a tank-slapper situation where you're trying to catch a wild slide. Having a racing seat let's you focus more on the steering corrections than just holding on to stay in place.

Once you've driven on track in a racing seat it's hard to be comfortable in (most) stock seats.
I had an instructor last season whose real job was an emergency room surgeon. He was adamant that he would not ride in a car with a 4pt harness, on the track or otherwise..(though he was ok with stock 3pt)

My current track car has race seats and 5pt(actually 6, 2 sub straps that come though the bottom of the seat) and its amazing how much easier it is to drive when you're all tightly strapped in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
I want!
Old 08-28-2017   #19
VetteFantasy

Here's another vote for tracking it! Sounds like there's not much left to do to get your car ready. I think you'll have a blast in it, honestly. I'm doing my first HPDE with mine in two weeks at VIR. Yesterday my husband and I were there for the IMSA race and I did the parade laps to practice for it. Wow, my appreciation and enjoyment of the car just skyrocketed! It felt so stable even blasting down the back straight. The previous owner totally track prepped it and traveled to many tracks along the East coast with it.

I really don't think you'd regret doing it. Randy Rippie of DRM is a great resource for track stuff, too, and he lives in NC. I'd be happy to share his contact info and I know he'd be more than happy to give you some advice.

Here's a pic of mine from yesterday. Look closely and you can see the roll bar! Even in a sea of 200 Vettes, it gets lots of admiration and attention. You just don't see them very often!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170828_094410.jpg (156.8 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by VetteFantasy; 08-28-2017 at 09:44 AM.
VetteFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017   #20
RussMcB

VetteFantasy, that's a funny license plate. :-)