ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-04-2013   #51
Franke

Default Re: Front fascia yank and clean...

Oh yeah. Looks like it (Canister assembly) was lowered or modified to allow the light fixture to fit in. correct?
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013   #52
Schrade

When I was bolting down the EVAP cannister Torx bolt to the crash bar, yesterday, I couldn't get at it - blocked by the cannister.

I don't remember the block @ dis-assembly...

Then I looked at my reference snappics:
Quote:
BEFORE getting all the kids out of the house (west of the framerails, behind crash bar, forward of wheelwell, just as over on the 'east' side )

At re-assembly, I had raised UP the EVAP cannister, onto the lower bracket lip, and clamped it (and the Torx bolt was 'blocked').

And that's when I saw the missing bolt too...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013   #53
Schrade

Now I know why that bolt was missing.

Originally, the BRACKET was rotated counter-clockwise, WITH the cannister loose in the bracket clamp, and DOWN, catty-wampus, OUT OF THE WAY OF THE SIDE MARKER LENS.

The missing EVAP bracket LOWER bolt was missing on purpose.
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Old 10-04-2013   #54
Schrade

So how to get the side marker lens in place?

By getting the EVAP bracket lower bolt out.

Simple. Remove the fascia; unscrew the bolt.

Old 10-04-2013   #55
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franke View Post
Oh yeah. Looks like it (Canister assembly) was lowered or modified to allow the light fixture to fit in. correct?
Yup - dead on ! Pretty sharp to be able to follow these worms, as they get out of THIS can-o-worms... cause I sure couldn't

Thanks again there to Steve too - his diagrams showed SOMEthing was wrong - I just didn't see it at the time...

Plenum pull has GOTTA' be easier than this...

Old 10-05-2013   #56
We Gone

Great job sorting out the mess you found while doing some cleanup. Your luck looks like mine jump into what appears to be a straight forward job than try and dig your way back out.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013   #57
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
This looks like it could turn into a snowball job.
You need to start up Jeff's Psychic Hotline (for 'entertainment purposes only', of course), cause you called this one...

"It ain't over til the fat lady sings..."

Not only is the fat lady NOT singing; neither is my driver's side HORN! It already sounds wimpy with STEREO horns, but now it's Mono. Good thing tho' that it's driver's side horn that's out, cause I know Sign Language, if someone pulls out in front of me:

(maybe I can get George to ride shotgun)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=D0IJkD0znCQ

Anyway here, horn won't fit after rotating the EVAP cannister, to stop binding on the side marker lens body. Talk about the 'horns of a dilemma'!!!

So it's time for some more fab / hack work. About 3/8" out of the horn mounting arm, then re-weld, will get me all the clearance needed here.

I thought about mounting above the headlight controller module, but flipping the headlights and hearing a gouging sound isn't too appealing.

Even had to re-route one of the EVAP can purge solenoid tubes, around in FRONT of the cannister, back to the vac source, but still no go.

to be continued...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5654.jpg (146.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5655.jpg (128.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5654c.jpg (91.2 KB, 28 views)

Old 10-07-2013   #58
Franke

What a PITA. This info is valuable for anyone wanting to change out front bumper/fascia/lighting from a different year so that they can see all of the engineering needed to make it work.
Just thinkin' is there room on the other side headlight bucket for the horn?
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote