ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Corvette > Corvette Audio/Electronics

Old 07-02-2008   #1
GOLDCYLON

Default AVIC-D3 Install any ZR-1 owners do this yet?

Has anybody in the ZR-1 world installed a Pioneer AVIC-D3 unit yet in their Z? Thinking about doing it if the Radio surround bezel does not have to be cut.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 07-16-2008 at 09:25 AM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #2
QB93Z

Default Re: AVIC-D3 Install any ZR-1 owners do this yet?

I installed a Pioneer AVIC-D2 in my 1996 Collector Edition and a Pioneer AVIC-Z2 in my 1993 ZR-1.

The radio bezel does not need to be cut.

The systems work great in the Corvettes.

The AVIC-Z2 has an internal hard drive so you can load you own background screens.

I placed the GPS and XM antennas on the dash. In the ZR-1 the antennas had to be under the coating cutout to get a good signal.

The major electronic stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, Tweeters) would not even try to do the install. I got my local shop (Westminster Speed and Sound, great guys!) to do the installations for me.

When you replace the BOSE head unit you have to decide if you also want to replace the speakers and amps OR install an adapter on the output of the new head unit to provide the proper singal to the amps.

Jim

Last edited by QB93Z; 07-03-2008 at 10:19 AM.
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #3
Z Factor

Thumbs up Re: AVIC-D3 Install any ZR-1 owners do this yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z
The AVIC-Z2 has an internal hard drive so you can load you own background screens.

I placed the GPS and XM antennas on the dash. In the ZR-1 the antennas had to be under the coating cutout to get a good signal.

The major electronic stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, Tweeters) would not even try to do the install. I got my local shop (Westminster Speed and Sound, great guys!) did the installations for me.

When you replace the BOSE head unit you have to decide if you also want to replace the speakers and amps OR install an adapter on the output of the new head unit to provide the proper singal to the amps.

Jim
Looks
I especially like how you put a picture of your ZR-1 on the screen. How much does this unit go for, and what was your install cost? Also, where do you put your radar detector if your antennas are in the cutout area?
Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #4
QB93Z

The installed cost was about $2300. That included the Pioneer AVIC-Z2, XM receiver and interface, and the interface to the Bose amplifiers/speakers.

I do not use a radar detector. I like living on the edge. (Actually they are illegal where I drive a lot.)

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
Old 07-03-2008   #5
Z Factor

Question Re: AVIC-D3 Install any ZR-1 owners do this yet?

I meant to ask you, does it play DVD's? The reason I ask is because I've seen similar type units that do play DVD's. It would not be to watch it while driving, but if the need arose during a rain delay of a game for instance that feature is nice.
Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008   #6
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
I installed a Pioneer AVIC-D2 in my 1996 Collector Edition and a Pioneer AVIC-Z2 in my 1993 ZR-1.

The radio bezel does not need to be cut.

The systems work great in the Corvettes.

The major electronic stores (Best Buy, Circuit City, Tweeters) would not even try to do the install. I got my local shop (Westminster Speed and Sound, great guys!) to do the installations for me.

Jim
Jim thanks for those photos thats one sweet looking install. The cutting of the bezel was a deal breaker for me!!

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 07-03-2008   #7
QB93Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Factor
I meant to ask you, does it play DVD's? The reason I ask is because I've seen similar type units that do play DVD's. It would not be to watch it while driving, but if the need arose during a rain delay of a game for instance that feature is nice.
Yes it will play DVD's. These units are built with interlocks so that you cannot play a DVD while driving (interlocked to the parking brake).

In fact, when using the navigation system you have to have the parking brake set to enter data for an address search.

The Z2 is voice activated, so you can touch the screen once and then say commands to change the audio selections.

Jim
Old 07-03-2008   #8
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Yes it will play DVD's. These units are built with interlocks so that you cannot play a DVD while driving (interlocked to the parking brake).

In fact, when using the navigation system you have to have the parking brake set to enter data for an address search.

The Z2 is voice activated, so you can touch the screen once and then say commands to change the audio selections.

Jim
Jim according to www.avic411.com you can hack around those features. Man that z2 looks schweet

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 07-03-2008   #9
QB93Z

It is really cool. The only thing I wanted that couldn't be done was have the radio antenna go down when listening to XM or a CD. The installer said that the "wire" to connect that feature was used for the feature that the unit stays on after the ignition is turned off until you open the door.

Oh well, no problem.

Jim
Old 07-03-2008   #10
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
It is really cool. The only thing I wanted that couldn't be done was have the radio antenna go down when listening to XM or a CD. The installer said that the "wire" to connect that feature was used for the feature that the unit stays on after the ignition is turned off until you open the door.

Oh well, no problem.

Jim
Jim what I have found some folks do is find one of the wires to the rear antenna and splice in a simple toggle switch. It will stay down with a flick of a switch with no power. Want to use it just reenergize the leg with the toggle. About a $1 solution

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V