ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Racing > Personal Racing Stories

Old 05-15-2009   #11
Scrrem

Default Re: Dodge Challenger SRT8 Hemi Kill Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
There heavy pigs.
Man, I really wanted one of these bad when they first came out, but the more I read about them, I'm glad I kept my Z.
Rich
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009   #12
A26B

Nice Kill Craig. Kind of like snakes to me, they're all cobras! Kill them all.

BTW, what was the PCV problem & how did you cure it?
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #13
rhipsher

Well! I hate to admit it. But a year ago I got my but kicked bad by a snake at 70mph on the freeway. I heard this big rumbling coming up behind me fast. This guy was looking to kill a corvette. It was an SVT Cobra and it was pumped pumped pumped. I don't even think this thing was street legal. It had skinny drag tires on the front and drag slicks on the rear. His engine was shaking my ZR-1. So I down shifted to 4th gear at 65mph and mashed that peddle as far as it would go and he even let me have the jump on him twice. He came flying by me like I was standing still. He wanted to do it a 3rd time. I looked at him and said dude you win I give up. I'm sure the out come would not have been so lopsided if I had Jerry's 415. I've never been beat before that day and havn't been beat since. Sometimes you just have to sit back and take one in the gut. This Cobra had an enormous amount of horse power to do what he did. And after the embarrasing defeat he dished out. He even got in front of me and lit his tires up at 50mph and there were chunks of rubber hitting my windshield. All it takes is $$$. I love my Z and would never choose a Cobra over it. In stock form a cobra wouldn't have a chance. But never the less I got my azz handed to me by a non stock Cobra in a "most spectacular fashion" as Mike Tyson would say.

Last edited by rhipsher; 05-26-2009 at 01:15 AM.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #14
1990 415

Quote:
Well! I hate to admit it. But a year ago I got my but kicked bad by a snake at 70mph on the freeway. I heard this big rumbling coming up behind me fast. This guy was looking to kill a corvette. It was an SVT Cobra and it was pumped pumped pumped. I don't even think this thing was street legal. It had skinny drag tires on the front and drag slicks on the rear. His engine was shaking my ZR-1. So I down shifted to 4th gear at 65mph and mashed that peddle as far as it would go and he even let me have the jump on him twice. He came flying by me like I was standing still. He wanted to do it a 3rd time. I looked at him and said dude you win I give up. I'm sure the out come would not have been so lopsided if I had Jerry's 415. I've never been beat before that day and havn't been beat since. Sometimes you just have to sit back and take one in the gut. This Cobra had an enormous amount of horse power to do what he did. And after the embarrasing defeat he dished out. He even got in front of me and lit his tires up at 50mph and there were chunks of rubber hitting my windshield. All it takes is $$$. I love my Z and would never choose a Cobra over it. In stock form a cobra wouldn't have a chance. But never the less I got my azz handed to me by a non stock Cobra in a "most spectacular fashion" as Mike Tyson would say.
if you were going 65 mph why didn't you downshift to 2nd rather than 4th? you would had given much more of a fight from 2nd at that speed.
1990 415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #15
rhipsher

My car pulled hard and was running great like it always does. But it wouldn't have made much of a difference. I was way out gunned. At 126mph in 4th gear we were neck and neck and when he decided to leave me behind his cobra was like a slingshot and was 6 cars ahead of me in seconds. My 342rwhp was no match. What happened to me probably doesn't happen very ofter. There was some serious money put into that car. Between 4,000 rpm's 7,000 is where the sweet spot is in a Z and when I down shifted I was at 5,000 when I stomped on it.
Old 05-26-2009   #16
A26B

Quote:
My car pulled hard and was running great like it always does. But it wouldn't have made much of a difference. I was way out gunned. At 126mph in 4th gear we were neck and neck and when he decided to leave me behind his cobra was like a slingshot and was 6 cars ahead of me in seconds. My 342rwhp was no match. What happened to me probably doesn't happen very ofter. There was some serious money put into that car. Between 4,000 rpm's 7,000 is where the sweet spot is in a Z and when I down shifted I was at 5,000 when I stomped on it.
I think you're probably gonna get flamed by one of our Canuk bretheren (1990 415) on this. They KNOW about this kind of stuff.

By my rudimentary calculations,

1)Stock gears (3.45:1) (4th gear, 1:1 final drive ratio)(25.4" tire dia), speed @ 5,000rpm = 109.6mph, not 65mph, rpm @ 65mph would be 3,000 rpm.

2) to be at 5,000 rpm @ 65mph, you would have about 5.80 gears

3) if you mean that you downshifted to 4th @ 65mph, then "cruised" up to 126mph, when you stomped on it, still in 4th gear, you would have to have 3.00 gears to be at 5,000rpm.

No flame intended, just considering what 1990 415 had to say, which I would agree with in a stock geared ZR-1. With my gears of 3.73, I would have probably gone to 3rd at 65mph. Any which way, it still sounds like you got bit by da snake.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009   #17
rhipsher

To be perfectly honest, In the heat of the moment I really can't say what gear I was in. All I know for sure is that I needed to get that sucker down to 5,000 quick before stomping on it. And this dude even was gracious enough to wait till I was ready. How kind of him. But I do know without a doubt my tach was right on the money at 5,000 when I mashed it. But yes I did get envenomated. But my feelings weren't hurt. It simply had allot more muscle than I did.
Old 05-26-2009   #18
1990 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
I think you're probably gonna get flamed by one of our Canuk bretheren (1990 415) on this. They KNOW about this kind of stuff.

By my rudimentary calculations,

1)Stock gears (3.45:1) (4th gear, 1:1 final drive ratio)(25.4" tire dia), speed @ 5,000rpm = 109.6mph, not 65mph, rpm @ 65mph would be 3,000 rpm.

2) to be at 5,000 rpm @ 65mph, you would have about 5.80 gears

3) if you mean that you downshifted to 4th @ 65mph, then "cruised" up to 126mph, when you stomped on it, still in 4th gear, you would have to have 3.00 gears to be at 5,000rpm.

No flame intended, just considering what 1990 415 had to say, which I would agree with in a stock geared ZR-1. With my gears of 3.73, I would have probably gone to 3rd at 65mph. Any which way, it still sounds like you got bit by da snake.
Jerry, I would never be so bold as to flame someone on this forum. However I do have a humble recommendation for Ripsher: bore and stroke that LT5 to allow yourself to really "bring the pain." Once you have your neck snapped back by a stroker you won't want stock ever again. I do know of a very fine running SGC 402 that is for sale. It only makes 525rwhp, but I think it should whoop most mustangs. Just food for thought.
Old 05-27-2009   #19
rhipsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990 415 View Post
Jerry, I would never be so bold as to flame someone on this forum. However I do have a humble recommendation for Ripsher: bore and stroke that LT5 to allow yourself to really "bring the pain." Once you have your neck snapped back by a stroker you won't want stock ever again. I do know of a very fine running SGC 402 that is for sale. It only makes 525rwhp, but I think it should whoop most mustangs. Just food for thought.
Mine would be a good candidate for a stroker. Its not a low mile Z. It just turned 79,000 miles. If I can't afford to have it done all at once I guess I could do it in stages.
Old 05-28-2009   #20
1990 415

Quote:
Mine would be a good candidate for a stroker. Its not a low mile Z. It just turned 79,000 miles. If I can't afford to have it done all at once I guess I could do it in stages.
That's the positive mind set i like. No better time than the present to start your stroker project. after having done my own stroker i can tell you first hand that in the end it is much less expensive to simply buy a completed vehicle with the stroker already done than build it up yourself. However, once the project is done you feel proud as a peacock and the permagrin might make you look like the Joker (Ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?)