ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-21-2014   #131
Karl

Default Re: Headers Installation...

Schrade, you make dropping the exhaust with the car on jack stands look like a piece of cake.

How high did you get the car and any tips on removing the exhaust system?

I need to remove my exhaust to get to the center beam bolts and it seems somewhat intimidating without a lift.

Thanks!
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014   #132
Schrade

If I can do it on jackstands, anyone can.

What kind of hardware are you going with there Karl?

I would DEFINITELY spray EVERY bolt with thin lube before putting a wrench to it. And check out Cliff's links. I got a few snappics posted, but he probably has more comprehensive info...

I had front end perhaps 4" higher than front ramps would have had it up. (wheels off tho').

P side O2 harness connector is behind motor mount. I think everyone said that motor would have had to be supported / lifted, to access motor mount, and O2 harness connector.

DO REMEMBER the placement of the ex man flange bolts. I found IDENTICAL MISSING BOLTS PATTERN ON D + P SIDES. I'm certain it was by design (from BG).

Pulling the frame - to - hood support brackets really made it easy. Only real problem I had was the one bolt for that bracket, which broke loose the IN-FRAME spot welded nut, THEN I had to zip the head off with a Dremel, while the nut fell inside the rail.

Fixing that was sort of a hack, but it is tight now...
http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22996

I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 09-21-2014 at 11:29 PM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014   #133
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
So overall how hard of install of the headers is this? It sounds like some of the issues were from the size of the automatic transmission you have. Is that correct?

How long would an install take? Any special tools required?
Butting in here, I found the most time consuming PIA was getting the stock heat shields off. Once those little bastards were off, the removal of the stock exhausts and the installation of the (SW) headers was simple.

I moved the O2 sensor bungs to the lateral side of the header collector on the new headers. This makes the installation/removal of those sensors a cinch. This makes installing wideband sensors (e.g., at the dyno shop) a snap - you don't even need to jack up the car to get to them later (i.e, tuning). It required me to splice an extension to the O2 wire harness, and then wrapping the leads with heat shield sleeves before tucking them out of the way.
Note: If I can get air going over a berm and come crashing down on moist clay at 60 mph and NOT rip the O2s off the headers, I'd say they're safe from most anything you might run over, save a deer or the like!

I don't know what Schrade is talking about when he mentions "Pulling the frame - to - hood support brackets really made it easy." Have to ask him for clarification, but the hood "bracket" (aka hinge?) is not involved. (I must not be understanding something.?)

I wanna say it took me 6 hours to get the stock heat shields and manifolds off. But, the new headers were in place and buttoned up within an hour, IIRC.

You will have to fashion a dipstick bracket once the headers are on. I can make one for you and send it, if you'd like. Just one little PIA not to worry about. (PM me for details).

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 09-22-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014   #134
Karl

I already have headers on the car. I am just removing the 3" b&b cat back exhaus to install the zf doc beam plates. Looks simple enough. I installed these beam plates on my 85 years ago but the exhaust was already off the car. There is no way I can remove to the bolts with the 3" system on there.

I also pulled the factory o2 sensors and they look horrible and the electrical connectors were breaking apart. They are being replaced.
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*

Last edited by Karl; 09-22-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014   #135
Schrade

All the pipes BEHIND the headers ARE cake to pull there Karl. I think ANY hack could have them down from J/stands in :20, if they take their time. Hardest part is getting the bolts BACK in the spring hanger, just forward of the differential, at RE-assembly. Maybe lay out an old sheet or some cardboard too there, so you don't have to slide your hardware on the concrete.

Don't feel bad there Paul - even I don't know what I'm talking about here sometimes. THat's why I post snappics with arrows and notes too there.

I was talking about the bracket / strut that goes from the frame to the hood support catches (below). I don't think you can pull OEM hardware withOUT removing them??? And no one ever mentioned it when I started. No big deal there................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
Butting in here, I found the most time consuming PIA was getting the stock heat shields off. Once those little bastards were off, the removal of the stock exhausts and the installation of the (SW) headers was simple.

I moved the O2 sensor bungs to the lateral side of the header collector on the new headers. This makes the installation/removal of those sensors a cinch. This makes installing wideband sensors (e.g., at the dyno shop) a snap - you don't even need to jack up the car to get to them later (i.e, tuning). It required me to splice an extension to the O2 wire harness, and then wrapping the leads with heat shield sleeves before tucking them out of the way.

Note: If I can get air going over a berm and come crashing down on moist clay at 60 mph and NOT rip the O2s off the headers, I'd say they're safe from most anything you might run over, save a deer or the like!
I don't know what Schrade is talking about when he mentions "Pulling the frame - to - hood support brackets really made it easy." Have to ask him for clarification, but the hood "bracket" (aka hinge?) is not involved. (I must not be understanding something.?)

I wanna say it took me 6 hours to get the stock heat shields and manifolds off. But, the new headers were in place and buttoned up within an hour, IIRC.

You will have to fashion a dipstick bracket once the headers are on. I can make one for you and send it, if you'd like. Just one little PIA not to worry about. (PM me for details)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post

I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 09-24-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014   #136
orthodoct

Moved from Charlotte to TN. Don't have to put up with that liberal bulls**t here. Thoroughly enjoyed trashing that damned AIR PUMP and all of its tentacles on my '92. All a rock of crap anyway; the more efficient the engine, the cleaner it runs. No, we do NOT claim that hypocrite SOB Al Gore in this state. We think that his pop was a postman from CALIFORNIA!
orthodoct is offline   Reply With Quote