ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > OFF TOPIC

Old 04-24-2014   #1
carter200

Default ZR-1 brother in the danger zone this weekend

This is the tornado danger zone this weekend. I and many other ZR-1 brothers are in the zone and need to be cautious. We are in the season!! Be safe all.......

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #2
Franke

Default Re: ZR-1 brother in the danger zone this weekend

Well, You, Dorothy and Toto are welcome to come to Colorado. Ya'll Stay safe down there.
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #3
USAZR1

Thanks for the heads-up,Carter. It got a little hairy here,last night.
1994 ZR-1 White/Red #152 (sold)
1991 ZR-1 Callaway Aerobody #1332 (sold)
1990 ZR-1 Red/Red #952 (sold)
2002 Z06 Torch Red/Mod Red widebody
USAZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #4
FU

Here comes the wrath of mother nature ! Keep low. Be well !

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #5
carter200

Franke,
Thanks for the offer but I'll just hunker down and ride it out.

Clint,
You, Jerry and David to name a few usually get it worse than me and you guys are always in my thought during this season.

Be careful, y'all

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
Old 04-24-2014   #6
Racinfan83

Well I have had 5 hit within 15 miles of me in the last 3 years. Tornado alley runs through the St Louis area too. At least we have basements - unlike many in the pictured zone....
Played a golf tournament today on a course 3 miles south of me that got hit last spring by an F3/F4. They lost over 1000 trees on the course the director said. Houses and such are just now getting back to normal from that one...
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #7
carter200

Yes, You are in a bad zone, too. Stay safe....

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
Old 04-25-2014   #8
LantanaTX

Not looking good for us in Dallas. I have committed to a show on Saturday from 5-8 in Frisco.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]1991 #0663
LantanaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #9
Hog

Be safe guys, I still have weird dreams about tornadoes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_Wo...ntario_tornado

I was 4 when this sucker went through. We lived out in thecountry on an acre lot with some decent distance between us and neighbours, we had am 1/8th of an acre veggie garden complete with sweetcorn, our lot at the time was surrounder by farmers fields, no protection to wind.

I remember that it got darker outside, it was raining but it stopped, there was lightning in the distance so of course I went outside, the it got really windy, so quickly it startled me,
, I remember coming inside and saying to my Mom "I think we have to stake the corn up, it's pretty windy." We went outside and noticed the corn blowing sideways and a funnel bearing down on us. The 3 of us went down to the basement and went in the "cellar", and pulled our "debris blanket" over our heads. The blanket was a heavy welding blanket IIRC, and Mom hugged my Bro and I as we all clung to the well head beside the water pump and pressure tank. There was lots of noise, but when it was quiet, we came up and saw the destruction.
My Dad came home from work and checked on us and immediatley started helping others to rebuild, patch etc. He even got a call from, and fixed the roof of my future grade 10 Geography teachers house. And I never heard the end of it, of how my Dad did awesome work, but the teacher thought my Dad charged too much. I would say, "thats what happens when you want the best work done at 11 pm at night."

We lived.close to Oxford Center, the twister that almost got us, was over a km wide and was over a mile wide at sometime. This twister was on the ground for 20 minutes. Little did I know that there was another 1km wide tornado that was approaching from the Northwest of our house. There is still a big assed concrete storage silo that was 1/2 ripped down, it remenant stilll stand as a reminder of the 1979 twister(s).

Then there was a smaller tornado I saw while riding the bus home after school, when I was about 7 years old. It was miles away. Bus driver pulled over and we watched, but some kids were freaked out still by the word "tornado" from 1979, so she decided to drive on.

When I was in my early 20's I say another distant funnel cloud. This one hit the distant GM dealership and lifted teh roof up and set it back down. My buddy was working under a truck that was up on the hoist.
He heard a train coming so he thought, then someone yelled tornado, he wanted out from under the truck, and looked for teh biggest thing he could grab onto, so he grabs his big assed Snap On toolbox. So he has his arms laced through his toolbox handles and looks up and the roof is shaking and a corner lifts up, and he saw the sky, then is snapped back down, got quiet and the roof came down, mostly, it had a weird tweak in the metal that needed repairing. I saw that one at a range of over 10 miles.

I saw another twister within the last few years, but that one wasnt even confirmed. Trust me, I know a twister when I see one.

Needless to say, I am hypervigilant when the season hits us up here. Personally I would rather be oustide so I can see whats coming, my biggest fear would to be inside asleep or something and have one sneak up on me. But that's probably some of my childhood experience influencing me later in life, but who knows?

I feel for some of you Southerners that dont have basements, best wishes, watch for local warning, they give you enough time to get to shelter.

For storm detection, back in the 70's 80's if you tuned to a UHF(ultra high frequency) station, channels 18-99 and if there was a certain type of "snow" on thescreeen you knew a high energy storm was near.

Anyone else have any tornado stories?

Be safe everyone!

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494

Last edited by Hog; 04-25-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #10
Hog

Original Canadian Broadcasting Corporation tape.
http://www.cbc.ca/archives/categorie...k-tornado.html

This is a pic of the outskirts of Woodstock

These people all lived in and around Oxford Center. The lady standing at back left is Susan Hampson, the Mother of my best friend that went through Basic Training with me back in my Army days. Her house was completley levelled by the tornado.

The 3rd and 4th people at the back from the left are Bill and Betty Hampson, Bill is Susan's Husbands Brother. They lost a ban to the Bill/Betty and Joe/Susan are neighbours and live on teh same road.
Jim and Tina Hird are kneeling,

This graph shows all the tornadoes in Ontario from 1918 to 2004. As you can see we get a LOT of tornadoes. I think it has soemthing to do with Southwetsern Ontario being surrounded by the Great Lakes.

This is a picture of what rolled in on that day in 1979, this is what I saw.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote