ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-24-2014   #51
Schrade

Default Re: Headers Installation...

Lean burn = HOT burn; higher NOx's, lower HC's

Rich burn = cooler burn; lower NOx's, higher HC's

EGR add exhaust to intake burn mix to lower burn temps, reduce NOx's.
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #52
4-cam

I agree. But plugs are white. Kind of contradicting the emission readings. New cooler plugs tonight and rescan.
[I]1991 ZR-1 Blk/Gry #31[/I]
[I]SW Headers/Xpipe- Dynomax Muffs[/I]
[I]Ported top end[/I]
[I]Secondaries Removed[/I]
Tune by Dominic
4-cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #53
mike100

Cold plugs might elevate HC's. I once put in a plug 3 ranges colder on a tpi engine that was only 3 years old at the time- and it would not pass the smog check on our shop analyzer (I used to do this back in the 90's before they went to 5-gas). We used to use the gas analyzer more for tuning than smogs some days, but there is a sweet spot so I would say to never go more than +/- 1 heat range or you could be chasing your tail for awhil;e trying to get the car to run clean.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #54
mike100

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-cam View Post
Schrade
Just condensation i would think. You do get a bit humid in NC.
Do you have to go thru emissions in NC? I know you were looking at adding the AIR tubes back on.
I did get mine fired up and it failed emissions. I am about Double the HC limit. NOX and CO are really low. The testing station had issues with the dyno so it sat to long. Plugs are really running Hot. Cats are not getting hot enough. Dominic advised running a colder plug and is reviewing the Data Log. We will get it ironed out.
what were the o2 and CO2 readings like?

also, high HC's, but good CO could be from a lean misfire/vacuum leak or weak ignition causing incomplete combustion. the o2 levels help tell the story on lean vs rich conditions. even a restricted injector will contibute to lean, but my money is on vacuum leaks/ignition issue.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #55
Schrade

Could be condensation, but it's been cold and DRY all Winter - I know that cause I been electrocuted every time I got out of my car this Winter.

D side has been a cakewalk so far - kinda' bothers me, although pipe is still hangin' by the centering stud ( break time ), and need solvent for block pan cleanup.

Still need to know if there was a spec for flange bolt skipping. Each side had same 6, of 16 bolts.

Anyone?
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Old 04-24-2014   #56
Franke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Could be condensation, but it's been cold and DRY all Winter - I know that cause I been electrocuted every time I got out of my car this Winter.

D side has been a cakewalk so far - kinda' bothers me, although pipe is still hangin' by the centering stud ( break time ), and need solvent for block pan cleanup.

Still need to know if there was a spec for flange bolt skipping. Each side had same 6, of 16 bolts.

Anyone?
Schrade, if I remember right, someone on here awhile back indicated that there are a couple of bolts that are not used on the header flanges from the factory. I'll bet Dino knows and some others too.
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014   #57
4-cam

They all came with several missing. I didnt count as I knew that they were short from the factory from previous posts so it didnt surprise me. Id guess 4 to 6 were not there on each side. I think I'm missing at least two per side on the SW headers I just installed as the bend is to tight to get them all in.
[I]Ported top end[/I]
Tune by Dominic
Old 04-25-2014   #58
4-cam

I have two of the same washer left over! They fell out when I removed the fender well. Aluminum and about 1/8 in. Thick. Looks like a shim but I dont know were mine came from
[I]Ported top end[/I]
Tune by Dominic
Old 04-25-2014   #59
Schrade

Both of those F/W washers are present AAF there Darby, masking taped into place...

Old 04-25-2014   #60
4-cam

Where do they go? Mine are still on the work bench.
[I]Ported top end[/I]
Tune by Dominic