ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 Members' Rides

Old 07-06-2020   #1
Prez1967

Default Meet Bluey! 1994 #353

I picked up a 1994 ZR1 (#353) two days ago and figured I'd start a thread documenting my ownership of the car.

Long story short, I've been a Corvette lover since I was in Middle School. One of my classmate's parents had an orange '78 with side pipes that would reset our heartbeats every time he would get picked up from school and the seed was planted!

The first Corvette I ever drove was a 1996 Torch Red/Black LT4 car at Ernie Swanson's Oldsmobile (it was pre-owned) and when I mashed the gas to the floor and felt the power push me back into the seat, I knew that one day I'd have a C4.

I've been through my share of cars and figured it was time to get into a C4. The biggest hurdle for me was that i'm 6'6" tall with a 36 inseam and a size 16 shoe. I sat in a bunch from time to time but they all felt tight. Of course these were cars of friends and I didnt really mess with seat adjustments, etc.

Years ago I considered a ZR1 and actually contacted Jim (QB93Z) and he offered to show me around his collection but life got in the way and I never got to meet up with him.

Last weekend I was at our local Cars and Coffee and saw a BEAUTIFUL red C4 roll into the lot. Shiny Fikse Wheels with super wide rear tires and a Corsa exhaust note to die for!. I walked over and realized it was a ZR1!

The owner of the car was none other than Dredgeguy here on the forum! Charlie let me sit in his car and it was the first time I realized what the right combination of seats/top I needed to give me enough space to be comfortable in the car.

He was kind enough to show me his car, talk about his ownership experience, common issues etc and told me about a well sorted car that may be available up north. He said that the owner was well known in the ZR1 community and if that car was still available, it would be the ideal car to pick up.

I went home and got hunting on the forums. Came across the car Jim told me about for sale by "FU" here on the forum! Sent Frank a message and the car was everything I was looking for!

Flew up on Friday and the car was as Frank advertised. It was surreal walking out of the airport and seeing the cars wide rear humps in the distance. Frank fueled her up for me and we exchanged some signatures and $$$ at his house and away I went!

I had to stop outside of his neighborhood to do a YouTube style Unveil to my wife and kids (the first time I purchased a car that they knew nothing about!) and while my wife isnt thrilled about the body style or the flip up headlights, she understands my enthusiasm for the car and my life long infatuation with the brand. My boys were tickled! I decided to name her Bluey after the kids favorite cartoon character

Specs on the car:

1994 Corvette ZR1 #353
88k miles
Admiral Blue with Grey/Black Interior
Dana 4.10 rear with upgraded half shafts
Jim Boudreau Built 6speed tranny
Jim Boudreau Short Shifter
Ron Davis Aluminum Radiator
C5 Brakes with Earl's Stainless Lines
Baer Eradispeed Rotots
Custom Cold Air Intake
Marc Haibeck chip with deleted Secondaries
Marc Haibeck Ported Intake Manifold
Snow Meth Injection (not hooked up)

Paint has some flaws but its damn great for the price I paid. Interior needs a steam/shampoo and the drivers seat has some bolster wear. Drive home took a litte under 5 hours but no issues on the trip. Temps and pressures were within range and the AC blew cold

Hit up the local Cars and Coffee on Saturday and met up with other ZR1 guys that knew the previous owner and had a great time talking tech and going over the car.

Got the car on my lift last night and changed the oil. Hit the fuel filter with some PB Blaster and let it sit overnight since the bolts were not budging. Took the wheels off to inspect the suspension. Pics to follow.

Looks like I got a steering rack leak, maybe tie rod ends? Upper ball joints have built up grease but maybe they were overgreased? Rear suspension bushings are cracking (looks like a full RideTech coilover setup with bars and bushings may be in the future after all.

I was a little perplexed on where to fit the jack pads on the front. I think I found a good option but im open to suggestions should there be a better option.

Driving the car, I realized that if I rotate my head back, my head can make contact with the main hoop of the car. This is my only real safety concern currently. Should I get rear ended, its gonna hurt. I need to see about lowering my seating position by at least half an inch (1 full inch preferred) so that I can remove this worry. Seat needs to be recovered anyway so im sure the upholstery shop can reshape the seat bottom for me. I had ordered a new Blue Tinted Targa Top from Melrose the other day but i'm cancelling the order today. Since I'll sit lower after the seat modification, no need for the $1300 expense. Especially since the car is running the factory catback.... I need some CORSA in my life!

I'll have to create an account with imageshack or find another option to host pictures.

So far so good!!!

Last edited by Prez1967; 07-06-2020 at 07:44 AM.
Prez1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020   #2
dredgeguy

Default Re: Meet Bluey! 1994 #353

Great update and hope we have a Wazoo maintenance gathering soon. Phil (Jagdpanzer) just redid his suspension so hopefully you will meet him soon to discuss all your options. Your car has all the right mods and beautiful color!

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020   #3
Prez1967

Lets see how these picture attachments work :-)

Walking out of the MacArthur Airport:

Last edited by Prez1967; 07-12-2020 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-06-2020   #4
Prez1967

Meeting up with Frank to collect the car:

Last edited by Prez1967; 07-12-2020 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-06-2020   #5
Prez1967

Initial Inspection Pictures:

Last edited by Prez1967; 07-12-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-06-2020   #6
Prez1967

Window Sticker:

Last edited by Prez1967; 07-12-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-06-2020   #7
Prez1967

First Car Show:

Last edited by Prez1967; 07-12-2020 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-06-2020   #8
Prez1967

Bluey

Old 07-06-2020   #9
Prez1967

Oil Change and Other Inspection Images

Really need to find a way to adjust image size it seems. If anyone has any input, it would be greatly appreciated.

Ordered some things from Corvette Central the other day.

Interior Fastener Kit (missing some screws, etc on some interior panels, figured this was easiest way)

Rear Hatch Weather Strip

Silicon Compound (to treat weatherstripping).

"Clean Shield" Trash Catcher for front radiator opening

Hatch Black Cover Caps (Mine are faded)

Fuel Door Emblem (Mine is faded)

Last edited by Prez1967; 07-12-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-07-2020   #10
conesare2seconds

Apsis steering wheel? It?s spiffy.
conesare2seconds is offline   Reply With Quote