ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > OFF TOPIC

Old 06-24-2017   #21
Roadster

Default Re: Working on the 74.....

Thanks for the kind words G-Sting, they are appreciated.....
Watched the video and read the thread, what a trip.....a great time, except for the one health issue.

My 74 has been apart going on 9 years this Dec. Should have it on the ground soon, and then the engine work continues. Just want to make sure I check everything twice....lol and install it all correctly. A few more parts to purchase and still more to be refinished. Mostly nuts, bolts and small parts.

Post some pics of your 79, I always enjoy looking at all C3's and one with a L82 4spd. I had a chance to purchase a Black 79 4spd years ago, can't remember if it had the L82 or not. And I can't remember why I didn't buy it.....must be the age.....lol

Still have work to do on the 82, but it is inspected and drives just fine, even though a lot of the interior is still out of the car....lol The CFI is very reliable and now has about 140,000 + miles on it. Starts up everytime....

I know the feeling about the C3 styling, believe me!!! I have owned more C3's than any other generation. There is just something about them!!!

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017   #22
Roadster

For any C3 owners who would be interested in following the progress of the 74 from the beginning in 2008, here is the link from the thread I have over on CF....my screen name there is..... SSROADSTER

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-of-pics.html

And for any 82 C3 owners here, I started the sticky in the Tech section for the CFI in 2013 to help make it easier to troubleshoot any issues that might happen with our engines. Along with info from other 82 owners, there is a lot to read.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...solutions.html

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 06-25-2017   #23
G-Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadster View Post
Thanks for the kind words G-Sting, they are appreciated.....
Watched the video and read the thread, what a trip.....a great time, except for the one health issue.

My 74 has been apart going on 9 years this Dec. Should have it on the ground soon, and then the engine work continues. Just want to make sure I check everything twice....lol and install it all correctly. A few more parts to purchase and still more to be refinished. Mostly nuts, bolts and small parts.

Post some pics of your 79, I always enjoy looking at all C3's and one with a L82 4spd. I had a chance to purchase a Black 79 4spd years ago, can't remember if it had the L82 or not. And I can't remember why I didn't buy it.....must be the age.....lol

Still have work to do on the 82, but it is inspected and drives just fine, even though a lot of the interior is still out of the car....lol The CFI is very reliable and now has about 140,000 + miles on it. Starts up everytime....

I know the feeling about the C3 styling, believe me!!! I have owned more C3's than any other generation. There is just something about them!!!
Tom, 9 years is a labor of love for sure. I do understand all the 'checking it twice,' as well as refinishing even the nuts and bolts. Checking it twice has required a lot of digital photos before taking anything apart, since (as you know) the books on these things are inadequate. Pics have been invaluable in getting it back together.

Nice that '74 is a big block. Bet you can't wait to get it in and running!

At least your '82 is reliable and keeps you enjoying the C-3.

I'll post a pic here of the '79. It's stock with only a new Corvette Central dual exhaust system, and then appropriately tuned, 15k original miles. Peppy, torquey and fun. Of course, nothing like the Z. I'll try to add a few more over time...

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017   #24
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sting View Post
Tom, 9 years is a labor of love for sure. I do understand all the 'checking it twice,' as well as refinishing even the nuts and bolts. Checking it twice has required a lot of digital photos before taking anything apart, since (as you know) the books on these things are inadequate. Pics have been invaluable in getting it back together.

Nice that '74 is a big block. Bet you can't wait to get it in and running!

At least your '82 is reliable and keeps you enjoying the C-3.

I'll post a pic here of the '79. It's stock with only a new Corvette Central dual exhaust system, and then appropriately tuned, 15k original miles. Peppy, torquey and fun. Of course, nothing like the Z. I'll try to add a few more over time...

G, (don't know your first name???)
Yes, 9 years is a long time and especially since the 74 is over an hour away from me. It was difficult when I was still working. Being retired now, helps out a lot. I hear you on the books, but I have the assembly manual which does help out when needed.

Making some changes to the 454, 68 427 "215" closed chambered heads that are all done with bigger valves which I have probably mentioned before at one time or another...lol Also roller cam and lifters, etc., etc.
It will be very exciting to get it fired up for sure......

Had the 82 out today for errands, always a pleasure to drive....and since the Z is still down, it's a nice alternative.....

Your 79 looks fantastic. Really like the color combo. And the stance looks perfect in the pic. Yes, post more pics whenever you can. Would like to see different angles of the body and of course the interior, motor, suspension....just all of your 79....lol

And yes, "nothing like the Z", but then again the C3 is still in a class by itself. And as you mentioned, fun to drive....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 06-27-2017   #25
Roadster

Heater box assembled with all new gaskets....ready for the install....
Brought out some Permatex Black Silicone to try out on the large outer seal. Although it holds, I did find that the weatherstripping worked out better on the outside seal...
The Silicone was definitely used between the box and core bracket. Just a thin light coat...

1498589000658.jpg1498589016848.jpg1498589027817.jpg1498589037587.jpg1498589043933.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 06-27-2017   #26
G-Sting

Quote:
G, (don't know your first name???)
Yes, 9 years is a long time and especially since the 74 is over an hour away from me. It was difficult when I was still working. Being retired now, helps out a lot. I hear you on the books, but I have the assembly manual which does help out when needed.

Making some changes to the 454, 68 427 "215" closed chambered heads that are all done with bigger valves which I have probably mentioned before at one time or another...lol Also roller cam and lifters, etc., etc.
It will be very exciting to get it fired up for sure......

Had the 82 out today for errands, always a pleasure to drive....and since the Z is still down, it's a nice alternative.....

Your 79 looks fantastic. Really like the color combo. And the stance looks perfect in the pic. Yes, post more pics whenever you can. Would like to see different angles of the body and of course the interior, motor, suspension....just all of your 79....lol

And yes, "nothing like the Z", but then again the C3 is still in a class by itself. And as you mentioned, fun to drive....
Tom, driving an hour to work on the '74 for nine years is commitment. Sounds like a very nice engine is in the works!

Thanks for the kind words on the '79. I'll try to post a few pics when I can. Seems like most of my pics are at least two years old, since I acquired the Z. Anyway, it looks quite the same as then...

This one is behind my son-in-law's '83 911.

Overhead shot of the interior and engine compartment. I had the valve covers powder coated red to keep a black/red theme. (GoPro attachment is on T bar - makes for nice videos.). That's about it for now. Back to your story...

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
Old 06-27-2017   #27
Roadster

Two nice looking vehicles, but the 79 does standout....nice pics....
Yes, the engine should turn out good...just a tad more power....

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 06-28-2017   #28
G-Sting

Quote:
Two nice looking vehicles, but the 79 does standout....nice pics....
Yes, the engine should turn out good...just a tad more power....
Thanks, Tom.

Got any pics of that 427?
Old 06-28-2017   #29
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sting View Post
Thanks, Tom.

Got any pics of that 427?

You mean the 454.....

Dec 2008...

when we pulled the motor...way back in '09...

its current position since....lol

1974 LS4 454 Vert

WAZOO Member
Old 06-29-2017   #30
G-Sting

Quote:

You mean the 454.....
Yes, my mistake - the '74 454!

A honkin' big engine for the engine bay... with additional torque & hp it sounds like you're building!