ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-06-2007   #11
Enthusiast

Default Re: SUPERCHARGING AND TWIN TURBO THE LT-5

Also dont forget the efficiency of turbochargers versus supercharger. Mos turbochargers can see up to 80% efficiency while superchargers have always been lower with the roots blower the lowest (around 40%)

There is a new type of bearing superchareger (rotrex maybe) instead of gears and it has seen efficiency of up to 80% and higher.

Just thought Id throw that in.

Im am very interxted in yalls progress as I am about to buy a ZR1 and owuld like to run extremely low boost ~3.5 to 4 psi until I get some low comp pistons and then maybe crank it up to around 8. Im still kinda new to these motors though so that plan may change.

What time do you guys plan on having these on sale
Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007   #12
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
Also dont forget the efficiency of turbochargers versus supercharger. Mos turbochargers can see up to 80% efficiency while superchargers have always been lower with the roots blower the lowest (around 40%)

There is a new type of bearing superchareger (rotrex maybe) instead of gears and it has seen efficiency of up to 80% and higher.

Just thought Id throw that in.

Im am very interxted in yalls progress as I am about to buy a ZR1 and owuld like to run extremely low boost ~3.5 to 4 psi until I get some low comp pistons and then maybe crank it up to around 8. Im still kinda new to these motors though so that plan may change.

What time do you guys plan on having these on sale
Thanks for your comments. The problem with a supercharger for the ZR-1 is very much the same, if not more so, than front mounted turbos....installation. To the best of my knowledge, no one has yet supercharged an LT5. It comes back to practicality, bang for the buck. The incremental gain realized in supercharging can be had for less money with normal aspirated mods.

Release for sale plans are: just as soon as we can. I know that's not much of an answer, but it's all we have at the moment. The LT1 & LT5 cars were to have been done last Dec and are now slated for completion next week. Tuning, testing, manufacturing of tubing components (which involves removal of the prototype systems, sending tubes out for CAD tracing & mfg quotes from different suppliers to get the best product at the best price, installing the new pieces to insure accuracy of fit, all before authorizing a run of parts) kit inventory, testing of the finished kit for installation & fit all have to occur before it goes out the door. Our top priority is a kit that is complete, installs and fits correctly, functions as advertised and looks great. It takes time to do it right. We're reluctant to comment on timing until we get closer because we don't want to lose credibility. It's already taken much longer than anticipated. A top quality product that functions as represented is our first & foremost objective.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007   #13
WB9MCW

Welcome to the forum Enthusiast and good luck on that ZR-1 score!
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007   #14
rkreigh

thanks to jerry and ron in bringing the rear mount turbo systems to the forefront on the ZR-1. even with modest boost pressure, the torq on a turbo car is quite amazing and this offers a great alternative to the typical 368 or 415 build.

as for me, when the 390 LSV motor needs to be freshened up I will be lowering the compression and going turbo. it's nice to have a kit alternative that is more affordable than the full custom route which is quite pricey.

the c5 and c6 platforms both have VERY affordable solutions and it's high time we get in the game. the turbo technology is quite amazing and the results are worth the investment. while the lt5 isn't particaularly well suite, it can be done and gives the king a thornier crown (much bigger teeth!!)
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007   #15
Enthusiast

WHat Kind of Pricing are we looking at?

Are yall using stock injectors?

What size turbos and piping are yhall going with?

Any power numbers yet
Old 04-08-2007   #16
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enthusiast
WHat Kind of Pricing are we looking at?
You're gonna have to be patient. As I stated in the response to your last post, we've got a ways to go before we can even see what our costs are.

Quote:
Are yall using stock injectors?
The stock injectors will furnish enough fuel for a low boost ZR-1
We are increasing the injector size on the LT1. Will let you know what that is when the dyno work is done and injector size is proven correct.

Quote:
What size turbos and piping are yhall going with?
LT5: you will have the option of ordering several different types & sizes of turbos. from bushings to bearings. Base setup will include 2 Garrett 30's.

LT1: same as above only a single Garrett 60.

Both will have a single 3" dia exhaust from the engine to the turbo(s) and a 2.5" return for boost air. Both designs will have 3" turbo outlet exhaust to dual tips.

Quote:
Any power numbers yet
If you will re-read the post I wrote above, you will note that the fabrication is nearing completion, so we have not yet had a completed system available for dyno tuning & testing. However, we're expecting about 390 RWHP on the LT1 @ 8 psi and LT5 @ 425 RWHP @ 5 psi, both with no internal engine mods.

Potential is from there up is enormous if an individual is willing to prep the engine for higher boost.

When we're done with development, we'll furnish a full report on the before and after turbo dyno results, with complete system specs.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007   #17
Enthusiast

Well keep us updated as I am very interested in this kit.
Have you considered selling a tuner kit in which the buyer has to suply there own turbos, blow off valve, wastegate, etc?

Is the Kit intercooled, if so what kind of intercooler and where is it located?
Old 04-09-2007   #18
WB9MCW

WELL I'LL BE---Imagine a single turbo LT-1 outpulls your stock LT-5 by about 40 to 60 hp rear wheel more--- you now know you need more! Add the TT kit to your Lt-5 and put down a solid 425 to the ground. About a 100 hp improvement over stock. Very nice indeed. Now start adding mod's in and go even higher!!!
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by WB9MCW; 04-09-2007 at 11:02 PM.
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007   #19
RHanselman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB9MCW
WELL I'LL BE---Imagine a single turbo LT-1 outpulls your stock LT-5 by about 40 to 60 hp rear wheel more--- you now know you need more! Add the TT kit to your Lt-5 and put down a solid 425 to the ground. About a 100 hp improvement over stock. Very nice indeed. Now start adding mod's in and go even higher!!!
Don't forget, you'll have a substantial increase in TQ
RHanselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007   #20
Vette Guy

Hey Guys!

Been busy with other "projects" and work..... ZR-1 TT sounds awesome! ...and I've opened up the plenum and IHs....this would be perfect!!! Keep us posted!

Best Regards,

Mark
91 ZR-1, #2016

06' Carlisle Celebrity Choice Award, Vette Magazine
Vette Guy is offline   Reply With Quote