ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Club Regional Areas > Japan

Old 08-16-2018   #11
G-Sting

Default Re: Yokosuka Naval Base Friendship Day Car Show 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAIIZR-1 View Post
Thanks G! It seems hard to gather any more than two due to distance of the known Zs here.

By the way, I bought the GoPro Hero5 Black. Any recommendations about mounting is appreciated. So far I tested it on my helmet for touring on the Harley, but need to buy mounts for the Z. I guess the suction cup mount for the side as I saw one one of your videos.
Hi Craig, I'll bet it is rare to get two Zs together there! Was there interest in your Zs from those car enthusiasts wandering around at the show?

Concerning the GoPro Hero mount, I bought a mount and plastic coated securing lanyards from Amazon. I like them both. The suction mount is solid and has a ball to rotate and 'level' the camera on slanted surfaces.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are many ideas on mounting and recording video on YouTube - and they're extremely helpful, as well as figuring out how to program the initial video quality settings.

Here are two ideas on mounting:
1) Top/front mount. Attached is a 'screen shot' on this look. I didn't use a lanyard to secure it, but probably could have figured something out, was just in the neighborhood testing.

2) Side mount behind the grill. I like this because it gives more of a feel for the Z and the road. Lanyard above was long enough to fit comfortably around the side mirror.

Of course, one could mount it in the interior in some way. The above two ideas are exterior and I'd only use them in my neighborhood, a park, or driving country roads. I guess I'd feel funny about driving around with a camera hanging off the side of the car on busy roads. Maybe others don't worry about it, though.

I love the way you can link these GoPros to your iPhone, etc. So you can start recording, watch what the camera sees - and adjust the camera/mount as needed, and end recording -- all on your phone sitting in the Z.

The only problem you'll notice is that you'll get wind noise if mounted externally. That's why I ended up mounting a separate/old iPhone on the rear of the Z and recorded as a 'voice memo.' I married them up using iMovie. It was fairly easy to marry them up, as long as you start the car after starting both the video and audio recordings. There will be a 'peak' in both sound bars which one can match up. Then, silence the GoPro sound bar, and all you have is the sweeeet sound of LT5 exhaust! (Well, mostly.)

I hope this makes a little sense & helps get you started. I need to get out and do some recordings with sporty driving.

Mike G.
"G"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '94 ZR-1 GoPro Grill Shot.jpg (114.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg ZR-1 - GoPro on center of top.jpg (121.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg ZR-1 - GoPro Side Mounted.jpg (151.2 KB, 24 views)
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton
G-Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018   #12
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdpanzer View Post
What’s the Honch like these days?

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry

I have not been to the Honch for over 5 years since I had some training and overnight at Yokosuka. Not like your good ole days I’m sure and cleaned up a lot. Especially with all the issues and curfews put in place by US Forces Japan to keep crime down by the military folks.

1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018   #13
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Yokosuka Naval Base Friendship Day Car Show 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sting View Post
Hi Craig, I'll bet it is rare to get two Zs together there! Was there interest in your Zs from those car enthusiasts wandering around at the show?

Concerning the GoPro Hero mount, I bought a mount and plastic coated securing lanyards from Amazon. I like them both. The suction mount is solid and has a ball to rotate and 'level' the camera on slanted surfaces.

There are many ideas on mounting and recording video on YouTube - and they're extremely helpful, as well as figuring out how to program the initial video quality settings.

Here are two ideas on mounting:
1) Top/front mount. Attached is a 'screen shot' on this look. I didn't use a lanyard to secure it, but probably could have figured something out, was just in the neighborhood testing.

2) Side mount behind the grill. I like this because it gives more of a feel for the Z and the road. Lanyard above was long enough to fit comfortably around the side mirror.

Of course, one could mount it in the interior in some way. The above two ideas are exterior and I'd only use them in my neighborhood, a park, or driving country roads. I guess I'd feel funny about driving around with a camera hanging off the side of the car on busy roads. Maybe others don't worry about it, though.

I love the way you can link these GoPros to your iPhone, etc. So you can start recording, watch what the camera sees - and adjust the camera/mount as needed, and end recording -- all on your phone sitting in the Z.

The only problem you'll notice is that you'll get wind noise if mounted externally. That's why I ended up mounting a separate/old iPhone on the rear of the Z and recorded as a 'voice memo.' I married them up using iMovie. It was fairly easy to marry them up, as long as you start the car after starting both the video and audio recordings. There will be a 'peak' in both sound bars which one can match up. Then, silence the GoPro sound bar, and all you have is the sweeeet sound of LT5 exhaust! (Well, mostly.)

I hope this makes a little sense & helps get you started. I need to get out and do some recordings with sporty driving.

Mike G.
"G"

G,

Thanks for all the tips and tricks!! Yes, the Zs drew more attention than the other cars overall and I think it’s the clamshell hood and unique motor. I’m at work so short reply, but I appreciate all the info and links to purchase those accessories. I might have to reach out to you later for more tips if you don’t mind. Thanks again!!!

Old 08-17-2018   #14
G-Sting

Quote:
G,

Thanks for all the tips and tricks!! Yes, the Zs drew more attention than the other cars overall and I think it’s the clamshell hood and unique motor. I’m at work so short reply, but I appreciate all the info and links to purchase those accessories. I might have to reach out to you later for more tips if you don’t mind. Thanks again!!!
GREAT to hear the Zs drew such attention!

Craig, You're welcome for the tips. I am no pro, just have done a few videos really. It takes a bit to get it all set up, then do the driving, download, edit, etc. But it's kinda fun when a video does turn out OK. Glad to help anytime.

Seems like our C4 ZR-1 community could use a whole lot more quality videos online, IMO.

Seize the day!
G
"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." -- G.K. Chesterton

Last edited by G-Sting; 08-17-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-17-2018   #15
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
GREAT to hear the Zs drew such attention!

Craig, You're welcome for the tips. I am no pro, just have done a few videos really. It takes a bit to get it all set up, then do the driving, download, edit, etc. But it's kinda fun when a video does turn out OK. Glad to help anytime.

Seems like our C4 ZR-1 community could use a whole lot more quality videos online, IMO.

Seize the day!
G
Hey G,

I just ordered the two Amazon items. I appreciate the feedback and advice. I rather hear from someone with experience than me trying to test out myself by trial and error. I was concerned about attaching suction cups to the car, but I do remember when I tracked the car at Laguna Seca, the video company I hired added 4 cameras to my car by suction cup so no worries. I do want to hear the exhaust note and that is the reason why I yanked the stock mufflers as they sounded like crap at WOT. So far the Dynomax VTs are awesome and people say they are wicked sounding at WOT, but I can't hear them from inside.

I have not even edited the video I shot last weekend while on a touring ride and the MC with the Harley so I still have to play with that. We'll see if I have the time and patience to play with this video stuff. Life is short so I figured I wanted more than just photos.

Thanks again for taking time to share your experience.

Aloha from Japan,

Craig

Old 08-17-2018   #16
G-Sting

Quote:
Hey G,

I just ordered the two Amazon items. I appreciate the feedback and advice. I rather hear from someone with experience than me trying to test out myself by trial and error. I was concerned about attaching suction cups to the car, but I do remember when I tracked the car at Laguna Seca, the video company I hired added 4 cameras to my car by suction cup so no worries. I do want to hear the exhaust note and that is the reason why I yanked the stock mufflers as they sounded like crap at WOT. So far the Dynomax VTs are awesome and people say they are wicked sounding at WOT, but I can't hear them from inside.

I have not even edited the video I shot last weekend while on a touring ride and the MC with the Harley so I still have to play with that. We'll see if I have the time and patience to play with this video stuff. Life is short so I figured I wanted more than just photos.

Thanks again for taking time to share your experience.

Aloha from Japan,

Craig
Hi Craig,

Great - I am hopeful that it'll all work well for you. I am still playing with it all, too. Be sure to clean the area with a spray bottle of something before you mount. The suction cup on that mount, I think, sticks like a rock.

I may post a short YouTube video of driving with the side mount setup in the neighborhood, but it's a pretty mellow drive... because it's a neighborhood! Which reminds me of a funny story a friend told me once...

He grew up in SoCal near Vandenburg AFB and one of the many things he did was get into cars. I think it was an old Mercedes in which he modified for more HPs. One day he and his friend determined that he would need new rear tires real soon. So what did they do with the old tires before they got new ones - those wet-behind-the-ears 17 years olds?

They - on a street in a neighborhood - did a stationary burn out. Continuously and in the same spot!

As he told it, "We were generating smoke like crazy, and making a whole lot of noise. It was great! ... until a lady came out of her house with a baseball bat!" "So we figured it was time to leave." lol "When we drove away, the street was on fire where we burned the rubber."

Anyway, I've done a few dumb things myself, but after living in a neighborhood, raising kids, I can now relate to the lady with the baseball bat. Thus, the mellow drive in the neighborhood! ...Other places more prudent, let her rip!

Hey, is that video of your Z at Laguna Seca posted somewhere? Love to see it if you have.

Aloha!

G
Old 08-19-2018   #17
phrogs

Quote:
Howzit JP! Were you ever stationed at Yokosuka or just visited? I remember you were at Okinawa too.

I was only there for a few days for shipboard fire fighting school, we flew up from Oki.

Currently own

90 ZR-1 #845 DRM 500 engine package

90 #226 Might be a parts car not sure yet
phrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018   #18
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Hi Craig,

Great - I am hopeful that it'll all work well for you. I am still playing with it all, too. Be sure to clean the area with a spray bottle of something before you mount. The suction cup on that mount, I think, sticks like a rock.

I may post a short YouTube video of driving with the side mount setup in the neighborhood, but it's a pretty mellow drive... because it's a neighborhood! Which reminds me of a funny story a friend told me once...

He grew up in SoCal near Vandenburg AFB and one of the many things he did was get into cars. I think it was an old Mercedes in which he modified for more HPs. One day he and his friend determined that he would need new rear tires real soon. So what did they do with the old tires before they got new ones - those wet-behind-the-ears 17 years olds?

They - on a street in a neighborhood - did a stationary burn out. Continuously and in the same spot!

As he told it, "We were generating smoke like crazy, and making a whole lot of noise. It was great! ... until a lady came out of her house with a baseball bat!" "So we figured it was time to leave." lol "When we drove away, the street was on fire where we burned the rubber."

Anyway, I've done a few dumb things myself, but after living in a neighborhood, raising kids, I can now relate to the lady with the baseball bat. Thus, the mellow drive in the neighborhood! ...Other places more prudent, let her rip!

Hey, is that video of your Z at Laguna Seca posted somewhere? Love to see it if you have.

Aloha!

G

Thanks G! I’m still trying to wrap up my DeWitts radiator upgrade. It took longer for me to find the wrench I dropped than to do the radiator R/R. Our cars sure do have some good hiding places when you drop stuff. I can’t wait to try out different mounting locations and scenes.

At least you have nice, open roads in your neighborhood; wait till you see some of my videos. Ha, ha and funny story. We probably all have crazy burnout stories and upset neighbors from our younger days.

The video was on you tube at one time, but not now and I only have them on DVD. Nothing special and training day so not allow to go WOT. I did find that the stock Z does not having enough brakes and power to last all day on a track like Laguna Seca.

Thanks again and take care.

Craig

Old 08-20-2018   #19
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogs View Post
I was only there for a few days for shipboard fire fighting school, we flew up from Oki.

Oh, I see now. Just enough time to run the Honch!!!

Old 08-23-2018   #20
phrogs

That trip I remember taking the train to Roppongi lots of beer was involved.

Currently own

90 ZR-1 #845 DRM 500 engine package

90 #226 Might be a parts car not sure yet
phrogs is offline   Reply With Quote